GO!

Placing a dog with a bite history

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 12:13am PST 
@ Hershey, totally agree. No way, no how would I allow my dogs to be parted from me. I have a dog I took on for rehab, 9 years ago. His whole life is about management. And he has bitten people, but on my property, after they had successfully gotten around counter measures-locked gates, clearly posted warnings and my watchful eye. He will never live anywhere but with me, and I accept what that means and the adjustments that must be made to keep him safe.
However, not all folks have that option I guess. And in some areas it can be brutal. I applaud the OP for doing this the right way and not just dumping the dog.
[notify]
Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 6:58am PST 
Sabi, I'm always happy to hear from others who have the same commitment to their dogs as I do. And I do understand that it's not possible for everyone to keep their dogs BUT I've seen too many people getting rid of dogs because of an issue that could easily be fixed and treating them as disposable objects. Maybe I'm just bitter, haha. I do agree that at least the OP is making effort to place the dog instead of just dumping it at the nearest shelter or, dog forbid, Craiglist.
[notify]
Link

Barked: Fri Nov 15, '13 7:44am PST 
I found Link on Craigslist. HUGE mistake on my part, but I think he's lucky that I found him and not someone less responsible. I would never recommend placing a dog through Craigslist. Some seriously skeezy people lurk there. As for getting a dog through Craigslist, buyer beware.
[notify]

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Fri Nov 15, '13 12:58pm PST 
Zombie... I see you bought your dog from a pet store so I'm not sure about your expertise on dog related issues...

The point is that you cannot guarantee where the dog ends up and you cannot insist on a home visit. People don't really like random strangers visiting their houses. Personally, I would never allow anyone from Craigslist to get into my house under the pretext of giving me their dog. That just screams potential danger. Rescue volunteers who conduct house visits are viewed as more legit and credible (seeing how they do this under the umbrella of an organization). Rescues also have people with experience who know what questions to ask and what to look for to filter out the bad people.

And no, you didn't say free to a good home but do you really think someone would pay for an older black mutt? Black dogs are the hardest to adopt out, FYI, especially older ones.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri Nov 15, '13 5:05pm PST 
Craigslist...yikes.

shrug Thank goodness the original rescue took responsibility and placed this dog! relieved
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 6:28pm PST 
Zombie, there is everything wrong with craigslist. To start with it is a dumping ground for irresponsible breeders, as are pet stores. As a dog lover living in the puppy mill capital of the US, you should know this. The OP did everything right, everything that they could and the dog legally needed to be re-homed by the rescue. As has already been stated this situation worked out exactly as it should. I used a site like craigslist to try and place a few of our rescues and it was a nightmare. Instead of being rude, you should perhaps try and learn from people with more experience then yourself. As Hershey said the fact that you purchased a dog from a pet store speaks volumes.
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 9:47am PST 
You tried Sabi! Can't fix... well... I'll just stop. silenced
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 5:34pm PST 
A note on my personal experiences with Craigslist:

I personally have gotten one kitten from Craigslist. I paid $100 for her at 8 weeks because she came with her kitten shots already done. While the screening process was not overly rigorous, the person did ask me about my experience with cats, my living situation and my schedule. They genuinely seemed to care about where the kittens went. A good experience all around.

On the other hand, I worked with a young girl in my salon about 6 months ago. I forget how old she was, maybe 20 or 21. She was constantly asking me questions about dogs and training. She expressed an interest in getting a german shepherd. I advised her that this would not likely be a good breed for her since she had never owned a dog before and had a very small child (less than a year) and she didn't strike me as the type of person to handle all that plus a large dog. A german shepherd rescue that does adoption events in our store told her the same thing and would not adopt to her. A week later, she comes in saying she "adopted" a dog off of Craigslist. He was probably around 8 months old and I was guessing an airedale mix. Not neutered, riddled with fleas and had some serious behavior problems. I told her he was an idiot. Less than a week goes by and she comes in with another dog, this time an 8 week old german shepherd puppy. I told her she was beyond stupid. She gives me a sob story about how she knew she shouldn't have gotten them but her heart just got the better of her, blah blah blah. She constantly complained about the price of caring for the dogs, how destructive they were, etc. Within a month the airedale mix was gone and about three months later, the shepherd was gone. Just as everybody predicted.

Sorry for the length of this ramble, but I personally feel that more harm than good comes from adopting pets out on Craigslist, even though my own personal experience with the kitten was a good one. It seems like Craigslist and pet stores are the places that people go when breeders and rescues tell them no.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3