GO!

Placing a dog with a bite history

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Becky

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 10:16pm PST 
I urgently need some help for our dog Becky! She's gotten herself in a difficult situation after biting a neighbor's dog for the second time in two years. Animal control has been involved and is likely to have her declared a "dangerous dog", which imposes several conditions on keeping her that are very difficult and expensive.

She's a rescue with some anxiety who gets along with many dogs, but there are three other females in particular in the neighborhood to which she reacts aggressively. We work really hard to keep Becky confined, either to the house or the fenced yard or on a leash at all times. However, she's gotten loose twice now while one of those dogs, a smaller Jack Russell mix was outside and Becky has gone after her and bit her. The bites left one or two punctures and did not require hospitalization, but Becky clearly went after the other dog in the other dog's yard. She has been aggressive with two other dogs in the neighborhood, but never has been able to harm them.

Although she is a great dog, affectionate with my kids and all the neighborhood kids, my wife's shadow when she is home, and my companion on walks in the nearby woods where I go to unwind, we have to find a new place for Becky outside the neighborhood. That's hard enough for us and the kids, but a dog with a bite history is very difficult to place. I am afraid that if we do not find a home, she will get euthanized, which I find almost unbearable to contemplate.

Any suggestions on finding a place for her? There is more of her history on her page (search for Becky). She's basically a very good dog, but with some anxiety, likely from trauma during her time before her rescue.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 10:01am PST 
You've said it yourself. It's not likely that you're going to find a home for a black pit mix with a bite history and moderate to severe dog aggression. You can look to friends and family to adopt the dog. Do not lie about her issues (it appears you are being very forthright about them).

I would suggest that if you opt to drop her off at a shelter (where she'll almost certainly be euthanized within days) that you do her a final kindness and, instead, have a vet euthanize the dog surrounded by those who love her.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 10:17am PST 
Have you contacted Hound Haven back about her?
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 7:24pm PST 
I would suggest that if you opt to drop her off at a shelter (where she'll almost certainly be euthanized within days) that you do her a final kindness and, instead, have a vet euthanize the dog surrounded by those who love her.

Where did the OP suggest or imply that they might "drop her off at a shelter"? They're worried about Animal Control seizing her as a "dangerous dog" whose owners cannot afford to meet the stringent and expensive conditions of having a "dangerous dog."
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 7:17am PST 
It says in her bio that they might have to "relinquish her to a shelter." Obviously the OP does not want to do do this and is looking for help, but Cohen is just pointing out that if worst comes to worst and the OP is not able to contain or find a home for the dog, he thinks it is kinder to euthanize while she is surrounded by family, instead of strangers.
[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 9:05am PST 
You need to contact Hound Haven about her current situation and see what they suggest. They may be willing to take her back and work with her issues
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 2:26pm PST 
I agree with Maggie and asked the question above, a couple of days ago. I wonder where the OP is? The first step is to deal with the no kill rescue they got her from. I can only imagine there is some contract and that they'd want to know, and they do seem to have good resources.
[notify]
Becky

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 6:03pm PST 
Sorry for the delay in posting. Been a tough week. Answers to questions/comments:

- I completely agree that if it comes to euthanizing her, I should be the one to go with her - it would be a final kindness, as it was so nicely put. Hard, but the right thing. No question. I am not sure I had thought out the scenario when I wrote about relinquishing to a shelter.

- We took her to the vet tonight, just to be sure there was nothing acute and physical causing a behavior problem, and to consult about bringing her in if that was needed.

- We are also having a certified behavior trainer come in to do an evaluation Monday in case we find anyone who would consider taking her. I will need to give an honest, professional evaluation to anyone who would consider taking her. They have to know exactly what they are taking on for it to work.

- I have been in touch with Hound Haven from shortly after the incident. They have been great. Unfortunately, they, like most rescues, especially smaller ones, don't have the wherewithal to accommodate a dog with any sort of aggressive behavior toward other dogs. The president has been calling in all of her connections to see if there is someone who could take her. I absolutely do not blame them in any of this. Becky was a very quiet, gentle dog when my wife met her while she was being rehabilitated and in foster care with my mother-in-law. It was over a year after we got her that the first bite occurred.

- one post referred to her as a black-pit mix. I couldn't tell you what she is, but I am curious why that poster was so sure it was that. Is that mix common? Such an odd combination of the soft mouth retriever with a tougher breed.

- Some I have spoken to have been very surprised that I am at this point with only two bites of such minimal damage with the nice dog that they know. I mean, we have parties and the dog roams freely and comfortably in the crowd. However, I am finding that most agencies/rescues will not take any dog with any bite history.

We're not quite to the end of the line, but it is very sad. Needless to say, I have waived one of my previously most unbending rules: she is now allowed to sleep on the bed.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 10:34am PST 
OP, this is really very simple, for you. If you can't keep her, the dog needs to be returned to the rescue from whence she came. Good rescues make a lifetime commitment to every dog they adopt out, come what may, without excuses. Besides that, check your adoption contract. Presumably, there's a clause therein that states you MUST return her to the rescue if you are not keeping her. This is both your obligation, and the rescue's responsibility. Hound Haven has to do whatever they have to do to honor their return clause. It's the most basic tenet of rescue ethics.

Once Becky is back in care of Hound Haven, they will make the decisions about her future. They will have their own behavior and training experts evaluate her, and they will review her history and the liabilities incurred. They may decide that she is not safe to adopt out again, in which case they may have her euthanized, but (at least in my opinion) that may be acceptable even for a "no-kill" rescue, under certain circumstances. Otherwise, they may be able to re-adopt the dog, but only with careful screening and preparation of the new owner. Or, they may seek to find the dog a sanctuary.

If Hound Haven doesn't have a foster home that can manage a dog-aggressive dog, they can board her at a commercial facility on a short term basis until they decide her future. If you feel sympathetic to the rescue and the taxing of their resources, you could make a donation toward the cost of boarding. Honestly, though, there's no need to feel bad. Rescues have to be prepared to deal with this sort of thing; otherwise they just shouldn't be rescuing~!

OP you are lucky that Becky came from a rescue, as I am sure, after her return, they will do the best they can for her as well as the community, and make a sound and reasoned decision. But I am sorry you've had to go through all this - it will still be hard for your family to lose Becky. cry

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 7:32am PST 
While I understand your concern, this is not the appropriate forum to associate with Becky. Bite history is really referencing that she has bitten a person. Every dog alive has the potential to get into a fight with another dog. That Becky has attacked a JRT twice over a couple of years is unfortunate, but really shouldn't pose a challenge in getting her adopted. Tons of homes out there have dogs who don't socialize well with other dogs. Is it just small breeds she has gone after? (there is a reason dog parks have separate runs for large/small breeds). Having fostered and placed numerous dogs with WAY worse behavioral issues than this, I would recommend you change the focus of her post off of the few dogs that she doesn't like and focus instead on her good traits. Not that you should hide the incidences - full disclosure always - but you should emphasize what a good dog she is and that she gets along with some dogs but that introductions should be done slowly as there are some female dogs she has taken issue with in the past. It's not a unique issue and there will be someone out there who isn't concerned with a dogs ability to interract with other dogs. Just keep networking (try Facebook as well).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3