GO!

found kitten

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Muffin

Muffin love- attention and- human food

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 6:05am PST 
I didn't know where to post? I heard a little meow cry at 1:00 in the morning in front of my door. I open my door in comes this cute lil black kitten. I am hoping I did the right thing and kept her for the night it was cold plus I hear so many scary story's of what they do to black cats especially with Halloween around the corner. I don't know much about cats but I will look for the owners after that I need ideas from cat lovers? Kitten is in a crate don't know how to let her out to do her business, can I give her weenies to eat I dont have a car and low in cash.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 8:17am PST 
Bless you for taking her in! Adult ferals can be pretty self-sufficient, but kittens on their own without mama can't survive.

If you can't go get cat litter, rip up some newspaper and put it in a shallow pan for her. Depending on how young she is, you might need to put her in it about fifteen minutes after each meal. If she's older, you might only need to put her in it once or twice.

What are you feeding her? Dog food is obviously far better than not eating, and if it's what you've got use it. Chicken would be better, if you have it--a pure meat diet is closer to what she needs than dog food. Is there a convenience store where you might be able to pick up a few cans of food and a small bag of litter?

If you can't find her owner, and assuming you don't want another pet right now, rather than call a shelter, see if you can locate a cat rescue group. If you can get her into a rescue, she'll be safe, get spayed and find a home. Too many shelters, even ones that are effectively No Kill for dogs, kill a large percentage of the cats that come in.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 8:20am PST 
Also, try going over to Catster. They may be able to give you more advice, especially pointers to rescue groups in your area if you can tell them roughly where you are.
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 5:51pm PST 
Cats have different nutritiental needs than dogs. A day or two on dog food probably won't hurt, but being on it long term would be a problem. I agree that a cat rescue is better than a regular shelter. Good for you for taking the kitty in. Catster is hit of miss. It doesn't get as much activity as Dogster. Good Luck!
[notify]