GO!

Petfinder Outreach Team- Susan Greene & Sara Kent

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 11:24am PST 
I've applied to have my puppy rescue listed on Petfinder and have not been approved.
Sara Kent and Susan Greene of Petfinder Outreach do NOT appreciate my rescue's effort to find puppies homes, and this is after we've had a 2 hour phone conversation with Susan Greene.

Susan Greene and Sara Kent can not give me a definite answer as to why my rescue has not been approved to list on Petfinder.

My rescue's policy matches that of THOUSANDS of rescues ALREADY listed on Petfinder. We are no different from the thousands of small rescues ALREADY ON Petfinder.

I am sure Susan and Sara are making more money than our family has ever made, and Petfinder employees also literally make a living off of animal adoptions.
They are judging our rescue from a personal worldview that is not compatible with the reality of running a rescue.

I've contacted the parent company and was told that Petfinder Outreach is going under an investigation. That was 3 weeks ago and the Assistants Communications Manager for Nestle Purina, Petfinder's parent company, has not returned our calls and emails.

I am certain that the only factor considered is Petfinder's blatant discrimination against me.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 3:21pm PST 
On what grounds do you helieve they are discriminating against you?

How do you operate? Do you work locally? Are you a transport rescue? You mention puppies--is that all you handle? Where do they come from?
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 6:24am PST 
Good point, Addie.
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:00pm PST 
I could be wrong, but does this scream puppy mill / BYB to anyone else? I don't know of any rescues that just deal with puppies only. confused Do you rescue/place adult dogs too?

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 5:01pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:56pm PST 
I would be interested to know more about your case... There are two rescues near me that primarily rescue puppies, and they tend to be very "trendy" breeds... I am suspicious of them. There is a third but they are actually supervised and assisted by an anti-puppymill group, so I know they are on the up-and-up...
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 9:24am PST 
It took my rescue a very long time to get on Petfinder. Four attempts, I believe.

Rest assured that there is not "no reason" you are being turned down. With us, it was that we were transport based. When we started, we were adopting dogs from the south directly to the north. They explained to us why that was against their policy....they don't like to rattle confidence of people using Petfinder for dog searches, getting frustrated by not knowing whether a dog was regional or not. We didn't care and used Adopt-A-Pet.

We did change our rescue to foster regionally, and in successive attempts to clear their process, it seemed to me rather likely they were not believing us. I do admit their communication was not the best at that time. I had to guess why, but felt pretty sure that was the reason.

At any rate, not that long ago rather than reapply I wrote them and spoke of my frustration. My assumption of why were not clearing and then stressing a vast array of proof that we were regionally based....a state licensed category A rescue, an adoption partner with Petco, a participant in the AlwaysAdopt mega adoption events held here, ongoing relationships with several RI vets and so on. We were encouraged to apply again at that time, and did clear.

Personally, and I am sorry to be blunt, I doubt you will clear with this sort of attitude. Accusing people working there of getting rich and acting as if Petfinder is a public service. Petfinder is an organization, and can set whatever standards they choose to. They are under no obligation to you.

If you only adopt puppies, that could be a reason. Do you do pediatric speuters? If not, that would be a HUGE reason. Inflated adoption fees can be a reason....and some rescues these days are charging $600. As someone not only in rescue, but transport rescues where costs are even higher than normal, I know that to be inflated. It's a growing problem, IMO. What about your veterinarian relationships? Do you have proof of those and not only speuters, but also some history of providing exceptional health care? That could be a reason as well. Your contract.....is there an ironclad return clause? That's a biggie, too.

Those who foster regionally, charge reasonably, have good veterinary standards, are adamant about speuters, have a sound contract and charge reasonably should clear Petfinder given enough effort. Sometimes it takes an exceptional effort and, no, that's not always fair, but Petfinder is a private organization and not a public service.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 11:24am PST 
I find it really bad taste to publicly name and accuse people on a public forum, and then not even be open enough to post your own information. What, don't want people looking a little closer at you?thinking

Tiller, good post. I was curious if those prices were considered normal or not. I would like to eventually get a dog again, and would go through a rescue...but at those prices, it would make more sense to me to just spend a bit more and go to a good breeder (that's prob a bit OT).shrug

Edited by author Wed Oct 23, '13 11:27am PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 8:28pm PST 
That's really interesting information, Tiller! Thanks for sharing! I am quite active in rescue but I am definitely not up at the top of the organization, just a foster home! It is very interesting to see how things work with petfinder!
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sat Oct 26, '13 7:54pm PST 
Eh, just wanted to add, it's not like Petfinder has particularly good or sensible "screening" processes anyway. I know of outright animal hoarders who have them living in despicable conditions; profiteers; and puppy mills in disguise that ARE on Petfinder. I guess they have good intentions but I certainly wouldn't say being on Petfinder is any real indication of the trustworthiness or quality of a rescue or other organization. That's just a word to the wise for those considering the rescue or adoption option.
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Oct 26, '13 11:04pm PST 
You are welcome, Sarah! The most frustrating part for me was seeing some rescues with Petfinder accounts who were doing the same thing for which we ourselves had been rejected (ETA noting Duncan did reference that above me....I've been having login problems all day, lol). That did make me feel rather snarky, but at the same time I do understand they can't police everyone, and did have some faith that our legitimacy as a rescue would prevail at some point.

There are so many Petfinder rescues; I know it would be impossible to police everyone. What I think is that they do their main policing during the interview process. That is not easy to clear. They will interview, call references, call vets for more detail, demand documentation. Many things, and also ask on the spot questions. But what I found is that what THEY feel is that they have to ensure nothing but a positive experience for people using their site looking for adoptable dogs. They'd prefer to err on the side of a good rescue not getting through vs adopters who get frustrated and cease their online searches. The good rescues will prevail, whereas frustrated would-be adopters don't need to. They can have their trust or confidence shaken and go to a breeder. Or worse.

In terms of the OP, that attitude was WAY to high-n-mighty. Many, many people do what they do. YOU do, and I never sense that you feel that makes you entitled. More important to look at the good side, that they really are trying to protect the adopting public. In my experience, if you are truly on the up-and-up, do things the right way, and understand that you may have to be persistent, it will happen eventually.

Edited by author Sat Oct 26, '13 11:06pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2