GO!

Anyway of Finding Out Microchip Information?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Duke

Don't let the- fluff fool you.

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 7:49am PST 
My family is my dog's third family. He was in a shelter at some point in his life(the family who gave him to us was really bad at giving us all of his information). We just recently found out that he has a microchip. This concerns me, because there's no knowing what information is on it considering the last family didn't even mention it to us.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get more than just the chip number, or to use the number to find the company to change the information they have in their registry.

He has updated tags on his collar, but in the event he loses his collar there's no knowing where he'd end up.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 12:11pm PST 
Well in most cases, a shelter/rescue will have microchiped him. IF they didn't, they could have checked his microchip and then registered it to themselves. Your vet or local shelter can check the microchip for contact info. They might even be able to identify the microchip maker so that you could contact the company where his microchip is registered way to go
[notify]
Duke

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 2:49pm PST 
Is it dependent on the chip or the vet?
My other dog was microchipped by her rescue and the vet wasn't able to tell me the company, just the number.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 4:02pm PST 
Have your dog scanned at the vet's office, it should be free, and get the chip number and manufacturer name(the vet should be able to give you the phone number to contact the manufacturer)

Call the manufacturer, The chip might not be registered (I had one form the shelter from when I was a puppy 3 owners ago, and no one had registered my chipfrown. My person paid the fee and got it registered in her name)

Anyway, if the chip is registered, they won't give you the information but they can tell you how to go about proving you are now the legitimate owner. Once you do that you can have the information on the chip changed to your information.
[notify]
Duke

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 5:06pm PST 
Thank you! He's due for shots soon, so we'll have them scan him for us at his appointment.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 7:53pm PST 
Duke, the vet should be able to give you the number of the chip and look up a phone number for wherever the chip is registered. (A chip would be pretty useless if the people scanning couldn't find a number to call once they found a chip in a lost dog.)

Whoever distributed the chip will be able to tell you if the chip is registered or not. If not they can get you registered. If it is registered, explain the situation, I am sure they will be able to tell you how to get the information changed.

If your vet won't look up a contact number try an online look up.

micro chip look up
micro chip look up2
micro chip look up3
[notify]
Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 6:45pm PST 
Teeko was a sad, skinny, shaved little guy, with hookworms, when he was found wandering my neighborhood. I took him in to my vet to scan for a chip, to see if he had an owner, His chip was still registered with the shelter he'd been adopted from - in good shape, just about 2 months prior. A little further research was enough to determine he was NOT going back to the owner who neglected him so very badly...

The chip is now registered in MY name. It wasn't difficult. Different chip companies have a different number of digits in their chips - one company is a nine digit number, another a 14 digit number, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised that were a similar situation, with the person who adopted the dog never having registered it, therefore, not giving it a second thought.
[notify]
Duke

Barked: Sat Nov 2, '13 7:15am PST 
Thank you Fritz for all the information!
And Teeko, I hadn't even thought about his previous owner not registering him. Considering that they gave him up, I can imagine it's likely that they didn't. He goes to the vet towards the end of the month, so we'll find out then.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 7:07am PST 
Hey Duke,

Did you straighten out your information?

I hope you are having a nice day.
dog walk
[notify]
Duke

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 8:08pm PST 
Fritz,

We followed your advice and had the vet scan for a chip, figured out the company and contacted them. Duke was still registered to his shelter, so we sent in everything to prove ownership and it's all fixed now.

Thank you so much for all of your help!
[notify]