GO!

how to help our sassy feel safe with us?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Spanky

Smooth Operator

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 1:51pm PST 
So we recently adopted Sassy from a local online classified. We are her 3rd owners. Apparently her first owner bred her very young and then did not want her anymore. Her second owners thought it would be better to rehome her to a quieter home after having had her 9 months. They felt their home was too busy for her with the younger children and 5 other pets. To them she seemed to get very anxious. They told me they believed in her first home she had been mistreated.
Since we've had her I can say I also believe she was mistreated and I have been trying to think of ways to make her more comfortable and feel safe with us. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
She's a good dog and fits our family well. She's house trained, has no problems being crated at night. She's actually very friendly.
A couple times I went to approach her and she went into a ball or layed on her back in fear, twice pissing on herself. This is what leads me to believe she may have been abused. It makes me feel really sad to see this and think of the possibility. Aside from that I haven't noticed any signs of anxiety from her. She's really mellow. Mostly playful in early morning and evening times.
She gets along great with Spanky and he really likes her too.
[notify]