GO!

Before your dog was rescued

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 4:20pm PST 
I know a majority of Charlie's past.

I was working at a doggy daycare where a regular brought him in(he was not either of her regular daycare attendent dogs), saying he was free to a good home if anyone was interested. When questioned further, she said he was about six months old, was house trained, crate trained, knew his basic commands, and that her cousin could no longer keep him because she had a baby, a two year old and bought a house without a fenced in yard, so she had taken him in temporarily, but could no longer keep him either.

I got to know him and fell in love.

With him, I got all of his vet records from as early as ten weeks old, which had his birth-date on them. He was not six months old when I got him, but was in fact eight months old. He also did not know anything but his name, had mild separation anxiety, HATED his crate, and was FAR from house trained. Going over his vet records, I also found that he had come from North Dakota, USA(I live in Canada), and likely from a backyard breeder.

He was sociable and good with children, dogs and cats - about all they did that was good for him(other than veterinary care), really. I assume he had been quite neglected and crated a majority of the time he had spent in his previous home.

Also, in going over all the vet records that I WAS given, I also discovered that in those eight months of age, he had had FOUR homes. The 'breeder', whoever bought him, the cousin, and then the daycare regular(he'd been with her for several months prior to her looking for a new home for him). The ONLY reason I can see for people having rehomed him several times, is not realizing the commitment required in caring for a dog, or not realizing how much energy a Beagle has, because he's INCREDIBLY smart and eager to please and was VERY easy to train.

Either way, their loss. I got the best little heart dog ever. smile
[notify]
Bridger

Scratch my butt- mom scratch my- butt!!

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 4:40pm PST 
I have always wanted to ask my rescues about their past. 2 of them were owner surrenders, but they will say anything to make themselves feel better about dumping their dog at a shelter. But yes, I wish they could talk at times. I do know they are grateful to be rescued!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2