GO!

Before your dog was rescued

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Casey

OMG look Mom!- Another dog!

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 1:01pm PST 
Does anybody else wonder about their dog's life before they were found? I find myself looking at this picture that was taken of Casey at the vet right after she was rescued from the streets of Houston. She was about 8 months old with some severe mange. When I look at her now I wish I could ask her "How the heck did you stay alive? Dog, what did you eat?Where were you born and what did your parents look like? Did you love dogs and people as much as you do now?" It's crazy to me that my dog has this story no one will ever know about. Anyone else?
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 3:07pm PST 
Guster was an owner surrender, so they filled out a (very) small questionnaire, so I have some sort of history on him, but not a ton.

Kolbe on the other hand was picked up as a stray and never claimed, spent 8 months in the Charlottesville-Abemarle SPCA in Virginia before being transported to the Buffalo SPCA to attempt to get her adopted (it worked). She was however already spayed when brought into the shelter so she belonged to someone at some point. She had a bad habit of taking off, my best assumption is she ran off one too many times and the owners decided to stop looking for her. She is dog reactive (though has mellowed with years of training and probably age), and is scared of tall men that she doesn't know, and strangers in general, so my other assumption is that she lived somewhere where she may not have received much socialization with people or dogs. Aside from her reactivity she is basically perfect for us (very tolerant, very people loving, and while loves to run outside, is extremely low energy otherwise), and it's still tough for me to understand why no one attempted to claim her.
[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 5:01pm PST 
Maggie and Milo were both surrenders. Maggie was only 1 yr old when she was surrendered and Milo was 5 yrs old when he was surrendered

Maggie was turned over to the local Humane Society (where I volunteered at the time). She was luck I was there as she was about to be put down due to being to aggressive (she bit 3 people and a large dog within 1 hour of coming into the shelter). Since I was there they let me see her paperwork that the owner brought and filled out to give her up. She was bought as a puppy from a puppy mill and shipped from Iowa to Maryland at 8 weeks old. I got the rest of her info from the surrender form the people filled out...here are some questions and there answers....
Where is the dog kept during the day? In a hall closet
Where is the dog kept when you are home? In the hall closet
how does your dog react to..
Strangers? Barks/ runs
Other dogs? Runs
Kids? Runs

From this info I gathered she was with idiots and by looking at her you could tell she was terrified due to the lack of socialization.

As for Milo, he was surrendered to a breed rescue. His person kept him in a crate in her back yard because he "was not house trained" (note he never had an accident in his foster home or in my house). He has a broken tail and a mass on his paw and could not be touched. He had to have a dental and had 5 teeth removed. His foster mom could not touch him for the first 3 months he lived with her. He was extremely fearful.

They are both great little dogs now, Maggie has totally gotten over her fear. Milo is working on his, we recently had a huge milestone where he ran up to one of my co workers and jumped up on them and allowed them to pet him happy dance
[notify]

Cookie Pela

Leaping Is My- Specialty!

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 6:55am PST 
Cookie was found in an apartment in a crate. The owners had apparently just moved out and left her there. She was hysterical. One condition of my adopting her was no crating, and since we had three other dogs, none crated...that was fine with me.

She is still a bit shy, but has come a long way. She gets panicky around new people, but allowing her the yard to "run it off" helps and regular walks and exercise have calmed her down a good bit. She can be handled by confident people, but needs a steady hand or she gets jumpy. She seems to sense solid handling and settles for it. I liked her from the beginning, but her heroic efforts to be a happy calm dog have won my love. She is a little hero.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 6:23pm PST 
We did our own rescue with Jax. I happened to know her story from the beginning. Her father was a Golden retriever that was intact and allowed to run amuck in the neighborhood. He bred with 2 so called "show German Shepherds" (I had my doubts they were even papered. They looked more like wolf-dog crosses.) Then the owner moved to ME. I kind of lost track until a friend said her dogs had the puppies and they were in deplorable conditions. A bunch of us decided to get together and take the pups since the so called "Breeder" didn't want them because they were 1/2 breeds. When we got there, the pups were in a pen on concrete that was about 10' x 5'. There were about 10 pups (I can't remember the exact count) living in feces and urine that was about 6 inches thick. It was disgusting. The pups were full of the filth they were living in. I think they threw the food over the fence and the strongest got most of it. There was one small dog house that was probably meant for a medium sized dog at best. These pups were already 4 months old. They were all terrified of us. It was September 21st. It is cold where we live at that time of year. I picked out Jax. The owner wanted to hose her off before we took her. I said NO!. It ws 28 degress that night. The neighbor offered to take her into her house and give her a warm bath to get some of the filth off of her be fore we took her. We paid her for that. (It probably took her the whole amount to sand blast the stench out of her tub.) We heated up the car so she wouldn't be cold, and wrapped her in a very large beach towel. On the way home, she threw up a lot until she fell a sleep on my lap. I think once she figured out she had a nice warm home with good food, that she died and went to doggie heaven. All the other pups got good homes and we reported her to the SPCA. The vets were good enough to document their conditions. My 1/2 breed throw-away was the best dog I ever had. That woman had no idea what she had. Shame on her. naughty
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 9:23pm PST 
I have no idea about Sarah's past, other than she was heartworm positive in a high kill animal shelter in southern Indiana. She must have had a guardian angel, because she was pulled by the rescue I had just started fostering for. Our rescue very rarely takes dogs known to be heartworm positive because the treatment is so expensive and time consuming. Someone in Indiana must have spoken very highly of her to get our coordinator to agree to take her! I had just started fostering and offered to take one dog, but that wasn't going to be a good fit, so the coordinator asked me if I would take Sarah instead since she needed a quiet home for recovery. I had absolutely no idea how intense recovery was, or I might not have agreed! big grin I am so glad she found me, and I have tried to find out who got her saved 4 years ago, but no one remembers!

Lizzie came to me from her family that was giving her away. They said it was because they were moving and just couldn't handle having four dogs, but they now own like 7 or 8 dogs that they are using for less than stellar breeding purposes... I know Lizzie originally lived with her two sisters on a farm and slept in the barn. When her owner moved into town, she "had to" tie Liz up outside because she kept running away. That's when the first owner gave her to the family I got her from. BUT, at one point, the family I got her from gave her away to someone else who lived nearby, and whenever Lizzie heard their truck she tried to run off to be with them. Lizzie has been attached to me since the day I got her and never runs off. I took her through one training class and she passed her CGC. We did therapy work for a very short amount of time, but the club's requirements were crazy... I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people gave up a pretty awesome dog!

My adopters always want to know more about the foster dog's past, but unfortunately, sometimes all we get from the shelter is a scrap of paper with the brief medical history listed. On the last litter of puppies I took, I got a piece of paper that said "Terrier mixes. NO vet work done". and that was it!
[notify]
Pandora

Can't hold ME- back!

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 6:42pm PST 
I have a few theories about my dog. German Shepherd Labrador Beagle - probably an "oops" breeding.

She had a male owner. Who was either/both frustrated or/and angry. There may have been a female, who was too lazy to tell her whose who in the group.

She either ran off, or was dropped off. On the side of a very busy highway. Months went by, she was finally picked up. Bony, dirty, tired... Afraid of semi trucks (turned on or off, sitting or moving). Also afraid of grates and manholes - perhaps she fell or got her paw caught?

That's my simplistic guess! Very little is known about her. We're putting her through shots, as I doubt she ever had her shots anyways. Even if she did, we don't know that.
[notify]
Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 6:31pm PST 
I know about most of Ace's life... She was in the pound on death row at four months old, when a rescue pulled her. She was with the rescue for three months before I adopted her at 7 months old. That time in rescue came in very handy for me as a first time dog owner, as she was (pretty much) housebroken and very well socialized with other dogs and people. Took her a while to get used to being an only dog, although that didn't last for very long. Two days will be two years since I got her... Time flies!

Teeko is more of a mystery, but not as much as it would have been if he hadn't been chipped. He's roughly two years old, and I've had him a little over 7 months now. He was wandering my neighborhood, and I offered to take him in overnight to find his owner, sight unseen, since a neighbor had found him and contained him, but couldn't hold him overnight. I got there to pick him up and he was in pretty sad shape, very skinny, and some idiot had shaved him. In January.

He was chipped by the shelter that had adopted him out only two months before. I was able to locate his previous foster via the shelter site, who was able to tell me he was in near perfect condition when adopted from the shelter. That was enough for all to agree he wasn't going back to his neglectful and uninformed owner. She was also able to tell me he'd been brought into the shelter from an abusive situation. Poor boy had gone from being chained, to being allowed to run free and get wormy and skinny cry But he was so sweet, so friendly, and so immediately loved by Ace that I couldn't bear to re-home him, so here he stayed. He is, if I may say so myself, pretty freakin' gorgeous now happy dance I don't know where the chainer got him, or if there was another crappy owner in the first year, if he was an oops litter, a BYB litter (probably)... Who knows, but he is where he is supposed to be now.
[notify]
CINNAMON

Sweet & loving- life!

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 9:48am PST 
All I know about my sweet little Cinnamon is that she was a stray in Manhattan picked up by Animal Care & Control & transported to Abandoned Angels who takes in primarily Cocker Spaniels, but other breeds in need too.

My poor little girl wasn't spayed, micro-chipped & had no tags. My vet said that she is 3 1/2. I don't know how people can do this. She was very fearful of men & strangers but is getting over that, thank God.

If you read my diary, you will see what I'm thinking as she sleeps so gently by my side.

We have rescued eachother.

Cinnamon #1293579

Mommy diary entry to mekissing

You sleep so deep & sweet & gently by my side.

I can only think & surmise what you must have been through as a stray - you may have been alone for one year or two - or hopefully, just a week until I found you. But Chloe brought you to me. And I am so grateful. You sleep so deep, my sweet girl.

I promise to be patient when you bark at strangers because you have a reason. And I will understand that reason & make you feel safe.

No one will ever hurt you again, I promise.

I am going to lay by your side again in the bed, my new little girl, until I stir in the early morning to take you out.

Love you,

Chloe & Mommy

Edited by author Mon Aug 26, '13 9:55am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 4:13pm PST 
I know a majority of Charlie's past.

I was working at a doggy daycare where a regular brought him in(he was not either of her regular daycare attendent dogs), saying he was free to a good home if anyone was interested. When questioned further, she said he was about six months old, was house trained, crate trained, knew his basic commands, and that her cousin could no longer keep him because she had a baby, a two year old and bought a house without a fenced in yard, so she had taken him in temporarily, but could no longer keep him either.

I got to know him and fell in love.

With him, I got all of his vet records from as early as ten weeks old, which had his birth-date on them. He was not six months old when I got him, but was in fact eight months old. He also did not know anything but his name, had mild separation anxiety, HATED his crate, and was FAR from house trained. Going over his vet records, I also found that he had come from North Dakota, USA(I live in Canada), and likely from a backyard breeder.

He was sociable and good with children, dogs and cats - about all they did that was good for him(other than veterinary care), really. I assume he had been quite neglected and crated a majority of the time he had spent in his previous home.

Also, in going over all the vet records that I WAS given, I also discovered that in those eight months of age, he had had FOUR homes. The 'breeder', whoever bought him, the cousin, and then the daycare regular(he'd been with her for several months prior to her looking for a new home for him). The ONLY reason I can see for people having rehomed him several times, is not realizing the commitment required in caring for a dog, or not realizing how much energy a Beagle has, because he's INCREDIBLY smart and eager to please and was VERY easy to train.

Either way, their loss. I got the best little heart dog ever. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2