GO!

Are your dogs allowed to be dogs?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 8:34am PST 
I agree this question isn't going to catch the dog people but there are some nuts out there. My first foster dog had a couple issues and was with me for months looking for the right home, I finally thought we had found it. On paper and on the phone these people sounded great, I was unable to do the meet & greet myself but another foster did it. Total 180 in person! They wanted a dog that was not going to run around, not going to bark etc etc. The other foster was disgusted, I was shocked. But I guess that's why it's such a process to adopt from us.

I do have high expectations of Jewel if she wants certain freedoms. For example she loves to walk to the car off-leash and sniff a few trees down the sidewalk. In return she doesn't go far and she never ever goes off the curb, if she does she gets a verbal correction or picked up and might get carried next time.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 2:10pm PST 
No, I find that my dogs are not , in fact allowed to be dogs. Accessories, manikins, they go everywhere with me, so they often wind up riding in a shopping cart like sacks of produce. They cuddle up better than my human husband, and are content to snooze with me over the evening movie.

I use them as car alarms and front door alarms, since we're not allowed to have doorbells, garbage disposals, and dish sponges, which they are amazingly adept at. They are hot water bottles, therapists, workout buddies, and they help me with the recycling by reducing and shredding paper to fit. taggert helps me garden.

but are they allowed to be dogs? Sure. There's nothing like coming home after a hot walk to see foxxy remind her duck slipper that it has a purdy mouth. They play constantly, with 6-8 epic chihuahua battles every day, starting with the one that wakes the humans up like clockwork.

Actually, sometimes I wonder if our dogs allow us to be human?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 21, '13 7:42am PST 
Sabi & Foxxy- big laughbig laughbig laugh to both of your comments.

Sabi- The man thing. I have had more than one tell me they want a yard big enough to pee off the porch without the neighbors being close enough to watch.

Foxxy- as far as my dogs being allowed to be dogs, absolutely, as far as me being allowed to be human, not so sure.big laugh They do have me very well trained however.laugh out loud
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 9:59am PST 
Weird question, one I didn't get. Basically I showed them my fenced backyard, and that my dogs were in good condition. And of course, they didn't know they were going to send me a dog that nipped men, having never met him. (He came from SC to VT.)

Anyway, my dogs have manners in the house, but get to play a little. They circle around on their beds and dig at them before they lie down, as dogs do. They roll on their backs in the backyard. The sleep showing their undersides. They bask in the sun, and roll in the snow, and run, scooping it up in their mouths. They overmark each other. A million things they do on and off leash. They bark at the sheep and go crazy over the woodchuck from the porch.

Dogs are what make us more human, too.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2