GO!

Please Help! The rescues are not helping me!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Tyler (TyTy)

Mama's Boy

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 12:26pm PST 
I really need your help. I am in a situation where the rescues are not helping me! I am left with no choice but to euthanize my dog! My doggie Tyler needs a new loving home ASAP to live out the rest of his life and we have been turned down elsewhere due to his occasional dog to dog aggression.

Tyler is a TerrX, male, 25 lbs, 10 years old, and still acts young like a puppy! He is super friendly with all people, cuddly, no health issues and totally house trained.

We can no longer keep him in our family because he will not get along with his pack mate Tiffany - $3000 later and trying three separate trainers he still gets into fights with her on occasion.

His aggression towards other dogs is very random and seems to be unprovoked - making him untrustworthy and driving us to insanity! One morning after a long period of no fights (thinking the problem was solved) me and the two dogs were relaxing outside in the yard, watering plants, when a small amount of water sprinkled Tyler from behind coming from my watering bucket - he snapped and charged straight for his pack-mate Tiffany again. I was also bitten on my arm while breaking up this fight. This was a deal breaker for me.

He has been in many situations over the years however when he has been to dog parks, dog beaches, and other group outings without any issues whatsoever.

Nobody wants to adopt him. It breaks my heart to consider euthanasia... He would be perfect for a one-pet loving owner OR someone comfortable with dog-to-dog socialization training. He doesn't get along with kitties or other small furry critters either.

His favorite things to do is hiking, walks, and playing "chuck-it".

Please help! We are at a loss and don't want to put him down. We are asking all no-kill shelters and rescues. One already replied that they are not accepting any other pets. If you can help please call me!

Priscilla - Located in Victorville
714-822-0760
greenpeadesign@aol.com
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 12:49pm PST 
That is very sad. I don't really have any suggestions for you. I have been in a similar situation, but perhaps not as bad. I stuck it out and kept both the squabbling pups. I expect I will always have to keep a watch on them for potential combat.

Is there a relative who would take him on? If he is a sweet dog, perhaps trying to find a private adoption?

I am not going to go critical, but I would think at his age you might consider just being more vigilant, keeping them separate and outlasting the situation.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 1:40pm PST 
If i were u I would get an exercise pen with a top from rover or Midwest and rotate the dogs in and out of it. Its much bigger than a crate and u could come up with a schedule for rotating.
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 1:59pm PST 
The best way to save him would actually be to give up your more adoptable dog-his packmate.

If she doesn't have any issues, she could be taken into rescue much easier. It is very, very, very difficult for a rescue to have a single dog home to place a dog into. Most of us that foster have out own, plus fosters in our house.

So have you tried placing the non aggressive dog into rescue, so you can keep the dog aggressive one and save both their lives?

Also, have you offered to foster yourself...you can crate and rotate while you wait for one to be adopted. That way, the rescue doesn't have to find a foster home.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 6:37am PST 
This isn't Dog Aggression.
This is your poor old senior dog, showing you that he is old and losing his senses.
This is him saying, its hard to hear / see / smell.. He can't tell whats going on around him. So when something does happen he redirects his anxiety and fear onto something else, like your other dog.

This is what happens when animals (and people) get old. It is an issue that needs to be managed, either by keeping him on a leash, a thundershirt, or having everyone be calm and settled around him, making sure you only approach him from the front or say his name so you don't startle or scare him.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 7:16am PST 
There are so many shelter dogs that do not have problems that need to be adopted, so I can see them being reluctant taking an older dog that has issues. Personally, I would also rotate the dogs for play time, walks etc. Another option would be to muzzle your dog so they can both be out together. Take the time to train your dog with the muzzle so he gets use to it. It is better than putting your dog down because of a problem that could be solved with some work.
[notify]