GO!

Should I Get This Dog?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 3:02am PST 
I applied to a Sheltie rescue in Texas, but they rejected my attempts to adopt one of their older puppies because I didn't have another dog and he would "miss his sisters" and wouldn't take to being the only dog in a home. Now, to me, that sounds like just encouraging litter mate syndrome, but whatever.

I moved on, got rejected by other rescues for the same thing. So, I ended up going the breeder route (yes, yes, I know). I actually found him on Petfinder as an adoption, but further research shows he's coming from an AKC Breeder of Merit. As a puppy she wanted $990 for him, but because he ended up being a half inch too tall for the show circuit she had to sell him as pet quality for $150 (which is way less than the shelters wanted, I might add).

I don't know what to do. This pup has NO training, he's shy, and she says too much attention/commotion overwhelms him, BUT he's hardly HAD any attention since 3 months old (he's 1 1/2 now). And he's had almost no socialization other than his family and going to shows when he was little with his family. Which, she says, is why she's selling him for so little. I feel like I WOULD be rescuing him from her. I'm not one to judge how someone raises their dogs, I just don't get HOW he's that old and never been trained or given attention. It breaks my heart. I'd love to get him out of there and give him the love he deserves.

Now, my problem is, I don't know if that will change once he gets 24/7 attention, love, and training and he'll come out of his shell and be the best dog I ever had (he still could be even without that!) OR if I'll have a timid, easily-overwhelmed, unfriendly dog for 15 years.

Am I being selfish and I should rescue him anyway, or are my concerns valid?

Edited by author Fri May 3, '13 3:56am PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 3:27am PST 
I'll skip the breeder lecturewink Yes, your concerns are valid. My personal philosophy is "Prepare for the worst , hope for the best". Are you willing to deal with this dog's issues as they are for the next , as you said, 15 years or so? Not that I am saying there is no hope of things changing, just that if they don't or only improve a little, can you handle that? If not, I would not get this dog. There are many dogs out there needing rescue or re-homing that may be a better fit for yousmile If you are willing to deal with these issues, and put a lot of time, energy and money ( possibly for behaviorists) into this dog, then give it careful consideration.
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 4:17am PST 
I've had both ends of the spectrum. I had male and female Shelties as a bonded pair from the time I was about 9/10 to just this past year when old age finally claimed them. My female was an absolute sweetheart who wanted to live in your pocket 24/7 who was very, very hyper and barked at anything she imagined. My male was very reticent, wasn't too, too into being cuddled (but he loved "his pets" as my grandpa called them), but was well socialized and trained, just very standoffish sometimes. Plus, I feel like no matter what, if I got a dog from the best breeder in the business, or the best shelter/rescue out there, there's not a guarantee about what a dog will act like in a new situation. I guess I just have to take a gamble.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 4:37am PST 
Just a comment that AKC Breeder of Merit is ONLY based on breeding and finishing champions. It has NOTHING at all to do with the conditions in which the dogs are kept/raised.
There are plenty of Breeders of Merit who are only about the numbers...having multiple litters just to get some into the show ring.
Since Shelties can have a tendency to be reticent and shy anyway, I would be concerned that you are going to be able to change much at his age since genetics play a major part in overall temperament.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 5:01am PST 
I will further add that $150 is too much to pay to the kind of breeder who is using Petfinder to dump a grown puppy who didn't pan out. If you keep looking, you can find either a rescue who will adopt out to you a dog who is a suitable match, or a responsible breeder who is making decisions based on what is right for the dog, not their convenience.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 7:05am PST 
I applied to a Sheltie rescue in Texas, but they rejected my attempts to adopt one of their older puppies because I didn't have another dog and he would "miss his sisters" and wouldn't take to being the only dog in a home. Now, to me, that sounds like just encouraging litter mate syndrome, but whatever.
>>>>>>>>>>

Some rescues need to pull their heads out of their you know whats. They might have some kind of hoarder syndrome where they come up with all kinds of wackadoodle reasons not to adopt out dogs.

Can you meet the dog before you commit to him? Maybe you could take him for a walk first and get an idea of his temperament. When getting a dog from animal control you often don't know what their backgrounds are. However I was able to notice my stray pound dog had a good temperament when I met him outside the kennels. Yes, he had some behavioral problems not noticeable at the dog pound. It was obvious the first time I interacted with him he was a nice dog with a good temperament, totally repairable.

The cheap adoption fee does sound kind of sketchy, like they may be hiding other issues. Maybe they would allow you to return the dog if it does not work out. It would not hurt to ask.

Pure bred rescue dogs come from all kinds of backgrounds and you could adopt one with issues from a rescue. Rescues can be dishonest and irresponsible. I have read plenty of news stories about rescues gone bad.

I would meet the dog at least. Rescues and breeders deserve the same scrutiny from potential new homes.

At 150 dollars they are not profiting from this rehome. I would not worry about lining the pockets of bad breeders.
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 10:33am PST 
Yeah, considering he's $845 off the original price, I consider that a win. Most of the breeders I looked at who did the genetic testing and aaaaaaaaalllllllllll that good stuff wanted from $725-$1500 for their puppies and, call me awful, I just DID NOT want to spend that much on BUYING a puppy when all their other care is going to cost thousands of dollars over the years too, you know? Which is why I turned to rescues in my state.

I've had Shelties since I was 8 and I knew I wanted another Sheltie. At one of the rescues ALL their Shelties were gonna be dogs I'd have to work with on fear and shyness and whatnot, so I feel it'd be the same thing with this pup. I don't mind the training issue since, if I was getting an 8-week-old puppy, I'd have to do all the training anyway. Another one of the rescues had only that one pup I wanted and all the rest were Collies and I'd rather stick to Shelties. I've exhausted all the rescue options in my state and couldn't afford them for other states (I'm a college student).

Milton, I'm definitely going to check him out beforehand. He's a few hours away from me so we're trying to get our scheduling conflicts to work, but I'm tentatively planning for Tuesday. "Going on a walk" with him will be interesting since, according to her, he isn't really leash trained (again, I ask, how does a 1 1/2 year old get to that point, but whatever, no judging), but I'll definitely try to do something where he's separated from the rest of his family and I can try to see what his personality is like.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 12:28pm PST 
Since you brought up financial aspects, I hope you are aware that a dog from a rescue WILL be vetted and neutered, while you will still have to pay for the neuter on your "breeder" deal, most likely another $200+ added to your initial price.
I also agree with Addy, NO responsible, reputable breeder is going to sell any of their dogs on Petfinder, and especially not for $150!!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 2:14pm PST 
I agree with you Addy and Toto, but the OP seems to realize this is not the best of breeders, hence my remark of skipping the breeder lecturewink
[notify]
Todd

Get to close and- I just might- kiss you

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 5:10pm PST 
Todd didn't come from a breeder he came from a hoarding situation. He was so scared when I got him that he crawled on his belly. The only time he would come up to me was if I laid on the floor or was in bed. He has made leaps and bounds in the little over two years he has been with us. He can still be shy but he is extremely loving and loves strangers. He will jump on their laps before mine half the time.
Todd was almost a year when I got him and didn't even have a name like the rest of the dogs pulled. That just broke my heart. Healing is possible and you just might end up with more than you expected.

You can read about Todd and his story in his diary.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2