GO!

Rescue groups too strict!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 6:17am PST 
I have recommended so many people to rescues, shelters and pounds in the past few years, I lost count.
Many were successful in the past.
But I think they have all gone nuts!

Get the rescues to ease up and PLACE the pets!

I have friends who are great dog people, have a 4 adult situation for a dog with 24/7 care and spoiling. It is a perfect situation for a dog - yet they still haven't been offered a dog. I reviewed their application for red flags, none.
Two rescues never returned contact after they filled out the application and paid a fee.

The form at the CT Humane society was 1 page in 2005. In 2009 I filled out a 3 page questionnaire. The same year I met a young couple, stay at home Mom with young kids, the HS refused to adopt them a dog or puppy.
???
Red flags:
Invisible fences
Pet doors
Full time working owners
unwilling to crate/kennel a dog
children

And my currently "favorite", and slightly odd question: "Will you ever leave the dog unattended outside? ".
I understand what they are asking, it's a poorly worded question. Or designed to catch the, "Yes, everyday, when I go to work…" answers. They just want to know if you plan on leaving the dog out 24/7/365, or will it really be a member of the household. I don't even run to the grocery store for milk without bringing my dogs indoors. But I would go in to use the bathroom, get a drink, answer the phone, eat lunch, etc.
But that is unattended…..
[notify]
Lulu

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 4:26pm PST 
You're right, that is crazy. I guess they are dealing with a lot of people and getting the dogs back?

I've personally never run into those problems in Florida, but I know that the person who did the home check for my parents' last dog asked some pretty random questions. I thought for sure they wouldn't get Buster because they are at work all day and they already had two dogs. But that wasn't the problem, it was other weird issues, like invisible fencing and stuff. In the end they got Buster.

I wonder how much of that has to do with where they get funding? I wonder if some restrictions are being placed by people helping to pay for these groups. Hmmmm...

Christie from lifewithbeagle.com snoopy
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 5:36pm PST 
Tell me about it...shrug

The main reason both dogs are from breeders is because all the rescues either lost our paperwork or flat out refused us over a small thing that really shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It didn't help that the adoption applications were incredibly long. I'm just glad I have not been demonized for not adopting because we would have if our rescues weren't so inconvenient.
Our last two were both rescues. The paperwork was short and the staff trusted us for the most part. But that was mid 2000's and late 90's.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 6:16pm PST 
So according to your red flags we would fail too

We both work full-time...but have an adult child at home 24/7
We have never crated or kenneled any dog...why?
Yes we have children but the youngest is eleven...is that old enough?
Well, that child is special needs so...fail
Figure in Sophie appearing dog aggressive in the wrong situations and we would never have been approved by ANY rescue group

I believe there are many rescues that have their hearts in the right place. But after several unfortunate experiences with local groups, I will ALWAYS go to a city shelter to adopt in the future.confused
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 7:14pm PST 
I'm guessing that the rescues probably have had a lot of people come in, bring home the dogs only to take them back to the rescue. They're probably trying their best to get the dogs to the right people but seeing that the would-have-been owners were practically ideal owners, I really don't know what they're up to. shrug They should at least give people a chance to help them out and bring home the dogs though.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 5:48pm PST 
One rescue decided a dog would be "too much" dog for me, as a first time owner. I really wanted this particular dog, a Spitz-Golden mix, but she was adopted out to someone else they thought would be a better placement. I'm not bitter, because I ended up with my Ace, from a very small rescue that trusted me enough to not even do a home check (not that I was worried about it, but it was one less hurdle to deal with - would have been afraid Ace would be adopted out while I waited for home visit).

Now that I have Ace, I bet the first dog would have been a piece of cake laugh out loudlaugh out loud

Now, both were mutts, wasn't dealing with a purebred rescue. Those seem to be more strict.

But with the pleas I see for fosters from local breed-specific rescues, every time a certain breed goes into the pound and they hear about it, if I wanted a purebred and didn't want to jump through the rescue hoops, I'd just follow the rescue on Facebook and when the rescue posts to ask for fosters for dog X at shelter Z, I'd head to shelter Z and cut out the middleman... Though I suspect I'd make a donation to the rescue that led me to the shelter smile

Although my purebred (I think) Sibe was just wandering the streets and I ended up keeping him when I learned he had a negligent and borderline abusive owner... No rescue group needed, just neighborly people concerned about a lost dog and trying to find someone to keep him safe... I happened to step up to the plate and will forever be grateful I did.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 9:13pm PST 
I think what happens with some rescue groups is they become too paranoid about placements...not to mention some ahem...unusual people that can be attracted to volunteering for these groups. We were trying to adopt a cat from a group I shall call NutjobsRus...it was only Sophie then and around strangers she tends to hide behind me. This worker did the home check and was ready to jump out a window just looking at Sophie...who wasn't barking or doing anything other than sleeping on a living room chair. If Sophie was a teacup would we have gotten the cat?shrug
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 7:14am PST 
I was going to adopt a beautiful male Dalmatian from a rescue group. Everything seemed to work out at first, they thought I would be a good match for their dog, except for one thing...I told them I was 19 years old, and they told me that their policy was that they couldn't adopt out to people under 21. They were very polite about it, but it's still unfair in my opinion to lump all teens together and say that they would make unfit homes. To an extent, I can understand; I'm at a crossroads and I don't know where I'll be in 5 years. However, wherever I am, I can safely say that I'll be in a dog friendly place. I would do anything for my dogs, though I know that I'm more of the exception than the rule.
[notify]
Geordi

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 3:27pm PST 
I agree completely! Back in January, my husband and I decided we were ready to bring a dog into our lives and started looking at rescues in our city. We found out a couple weeks into our search that we were going to need to move in about a month and decided to wait to get our dog until after our move. I still wanted to keep looking though, because I noticed that many of the dogs in these rescue groups are there for many months before they are adopted. So we could potentially find a dog we loved and just wait to apply until our move was complete. I was very open and up front about our situation when I contacted these rescues and I was absolutely shocked by the responses I got. Many of them were appalled that I would want to look when I couldn't bring a dog home that day, they felt I would be wasting everyones time - I just wanted to take my time and make sure we would be getting the perfect dog to fit our lifestyle.

Also, the application process with some of these groups is absolutely insane. I understand that they are trying to weed out the people that aren't taking the adoption process seriously and to also make it very clear what is involved in the care of the animals, but at the same time they are passing up some really great potential homes and those people may often times end up going to a breeder or worse, a pet store with dogs from puppy mills because the rescue process is so difficult and time consuming.

Thankfully, we found the PERFECT dog for us at a rescue in our city that makes the adoption process (almost) just as easy as walking into a pet store and buying a dog. In fact, I found out that the dog we adopted came from another rescue (with a long adoption process) that had him for THREE MONTHS and finally gave him to them and was adopted by us after being there only three days! Apparently a lot of rescues in the area end up doing that with dogs they have trouble adopting out.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 9:27am PST 
Calamity Jane, in addition to issues of how much change you will probably go through in the next few years, there's also the issue of being able to sign a binding contract. That is a tough one for shelters or Davies groups to get around, no matter how much they like the potential adopter. When you're 21, they're on much more secure ground, legally.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3