GO!

I need advise for possibly finding my baby girl a new home :(

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Suede

Intensely Timid

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 7:41am PST 
Okay, well my life has taken a rapid turn over the past year; I had a baby who is 10 months now and I am getting married in two months.
Suede, my dog, was a rescue dog from the Humane Society about three years ago. It took about a year and a half to get her where she is today. She is extremely attached to me to the point where she freaks out when I leave for five mins. I have been living with my parents, who have a beagle, for the past year and Suede has attached to my parents and Lucy, their dog, but they will not keep Suede.
In the house where my fiance and I will be living, Suede will have to stay outside or in the garage.

I guess I must find Suede a new, good home where she will be happy and played with every day. I just keep putting it off because I just don't want to give her away.

So I need help with my decisions and where to look for someone I can trust to take care of her and give her everything she needs.

Kelsey
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:45am PST 
Why not keep her in the garage then?

Or find somewhere else to move to?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 12:20pm PST 
What breed is she? Her face looks like an Italian greyhound which has a great rescue. If she is a mix www.italiangreyhoundplace.com may still help by listing her on their website.
[notify]

Suede

Intensely Timid

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 12:27pm PST 
It would be cruel to just leave her in the garage all day long. As you can see, she has some greyhound in her and it is in her genes to run and be active. I cannot move somewhere else because we have a lease to honor and we cannot afford a better home.

I will look on that website and see.....frown
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 12:57pm PST 
If that site wont help u. No kill shelters often have waiting lists so if u are looking for a home for ger there may be a no kill shelter near u that u can get on their waiting list.maybe your dog can be in the garage or stay at ur parents house while u r on the waiting list or its possible they have a spot. Some people don't like Craigslist nut u can also post her on Craigslist they have an animal section.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 6:27pm PST 
Im not understanding why cant you keep her?

Edited by author Thu Apr 4, '13 6:29pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 1:05am PST 
I'm just wondering why you will be keeping Suede in the garage or outside when you move to a new house. Why is that so? I'm really curious.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 10:07am PST 
I'm not understanding... and beware of CL. People put dogs up there and they end up in labs and dog pits as bait dogs. Not saying all dogs do. A friend of mine got a great dog from CL but i'd be skepital.

You're saying because she's part greyhound she needs to "run around". Maybe i've seen different things but racing greys are kept in kennels pretty much all the time. They only run during a race from what i understand. all the greys i've met were like cats. All they did was sleep on the couch till they got let outside.

I live in about 500 sqft and my dogs are inside all day and I was considering a greyhound. but i found sweetie first. I keep two dogs in about 500 square feet. If they go outside they share jakes 8x6ft dog run.

She should be fine as long as you walk her like 2x a day or let her run about in your yard.

I'm not understanding why you need to rehome your dog.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 11:44am PST 
I actually think it's very admirable of you to think of your dog first...

I too could not leave my dogs in the garage all day, regardless of how often I exercise them an I'm sure it's a decision you haven't taken lightly.

I would make some calls to 'no kill' shelters and see what the situation is like for them in your area... If you're thinking of advertising her, please don't give her away for free and vet every person who enquires.

It's not really anyone's place on here to give you a hard time about the decision you have made and if you do it right, you will find your dog an amazing home...

Do some research about local shelters or charity organisations (Facebook seems to be doing very well at networking to find homes for dogs in need), don't advertise her as free and make sure anyone who is interested is genuine...

Good luck to you and Suede, I really hope it works out for you!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:05pm PST 
I would look into rescue groups or even running your own ads. If you go to PetFinder's Help Section you can search by state for a full list of rescue groups. If you place your own ad you have to be willing to screen the people carefully-their employers, references etc. Good Luck
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2