GO!

Returning a Rescue Dog- Owner Health Issues

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 8:09pm PST 
I feel so sick and sad writing this post. In mid December, my fiance and I adopted a dog. We live in PA, but got her from a rescue that places dogs from Georgia in northern states.

We love our dog. She is so sweet, and cute, and affectionate. Unfortunately, a few months after I got her, I was diagnosed with having a neurological disorder. Things have gotten more and more stressful for me, and last week I literally had a breakdown. I am sick all the time, and I can't handle things as they are.

Unfortunately, I realized that our dog is causing me a lot of stress, and she needs (and deserves) so much more than we can give her. She is causing me a lot of stress not because she is a bad dog, but because I can't handle much anymore. I can't even walk her. Last week, I realized that because of my health I have to quit my job. My fiance is struggling too. From the health issues, I have been experiencing severe vertigo, so taking care of our dog has fallen to him. He can't keep up with his last semester of nursing school, part time job, added duties of bringing me to doctor's appointments, and taking care of her.

We realized that with this unexpected development, we are not good parents to her. This has been on our minds for awhile, but we tried to make things better, but they aren't improving. We love her so much that we just want the best for her. I don't know if/when I will get better, so we came to the decision that the best thing would be to contact the rescue group to return her. Does anyone know how this would work given that we were out of state adopters?

Please try not to judge me for this. I am heartbroken, and crying as I write this. We have been the best owners we can to her, but I believe she can find a family that would be better for her. She is about 25 lbs, and we think maybe a dachshund/beagle mix. She is 2-3 years old, and loves people and strangely, she loves cats. So many people love her.

If you can offer advice or support, I would love to hear it.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 8:35pm PST 
Absolutely call the rescue. It shows your compassion & love for her that you are willing to do what is best for her. While transport may be tricky, the rescue might have contacts with a rescue closer to you.
I am sorry to hear you are struggling. Know that you can come on here & rant/vent anytime, We Dogsters are passionate about dogs, but we have plenty of support to offer you as well. big hug
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 10:45pm PST 
I'm so sorry this has happened. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control. hug Absolutely agree with Squam when she says to call the rescue, they should be able to help in this situation. Your dog sounds like it hopefully should be easy to place.
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 11:24pm PST 
It's going to depend on the rescue. What is the return clause on your adoption contract? Some of the Georgia rescuers pull from the gassing shelters and may be more focused on the pulling (from shelters) end of things. In some cases, you would be required to get the dog returned to them at your expense and there may or may not be a period they'll need you to wait. I had one adopter who had a pretty miserable experience, so I am just bracing you as this is obviously a hard time for you that this may require some patience and expense.

What state are you located in? If you share that, I may be more able to help. I actually co-run a transport based rescue myself, but we are regionally located and foster locally, rather than transporting to adopters cold.

As your dog is in a highly adoptable range, another option may be to get her with another rescue or place her yourself locally. I can provide guidance as indicated, but the first step would be to tell me where you are. I am a little nervous on your behalf, as if you are unsure about how returns work (which you appear to be), this may be something that falls all on you to arrange. One step at a time.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 9:46am PST 
Thank you all for your posts. I am going to email the rescue group today. I wish there was another option but it seems to be the best thing to do for everyone involved.

We live in southeast Pennsylvania. If necessary I would imagine another rescue would take her if it came to that.. She really is a lovely dog. I feel so terrible because I know how much she has bonded with us.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 8:16pm PST 
If the rescue won't take her back you could always post her on petfinder i believe or something like that to try and get her adopted out again.

Sorry this happened to you and good luck. wishes
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 8:46pm PST 
I agree with the other posters. Please keep us posted. hughughug
[notify]