GO!

i know someone who wants to breed dogs. dont know what to tell them

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 7:09pm PST 
they dont care about cost, they have money to blow
they dont think the puppies will end up in shelters because there purebred.
they think its okay because her stud dog is a "good dog" and purebred.

I dont forsee anything i say to change there mind. I guess i mainly posted it just to rant. They really think it will all be great. Im pretty sure the female will get knocked up by the dog down the street since the dogs are allways loose. or they will get hit by a car. The last dog they bred was a mutt and i guess they think it was fun to have the puppies. Even though one was run over, the mother got run over, the stud dog pee'd all over everything, and god only knows what happend to the other puppies.

In my state there is no law about breeding. they dont live in the city so nothings illegal. Its pretty hopeless and it makes me sad. They really just dont care and dont think there is anything wrong with it. This is normal around here, there are so many ads for puppies.

im hoping to try to talk them into spaying the puppies before adoption but i doubt that will happen.

Edited by author Fri Mar 15, '13 7:10pm PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 12:09am PST 
That's tough.

As far as pure breeds not ending up in the shelter. All one has to do is look. I'd tell your friends to have there eyes examined. I own two pure breed dogs. Both of which are from shelters. Not even rescues. But full on City kill shelters. And i own a realitively popular breed * a beagle* and then my new favorite hound of the house a basset hound.

I really hope your friends change their minds.

Good luck. wishes
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 10:54am PST 
Gosh, I know exactly where you're coming from, OP...

I have a friend who got a pit bull pup and ended up saying she wants to breed her. I don't know how many times I talked to her about it. Sat down, tried to explain everything. She had that very simplistic view too, that the pups will all go to "good homes", yadda yadda....

I swear I talked to her for a couple of hours (after many tries before) and tried and tried to calmly explain to her everything that is wrong with her "rainbows and butterflies" idea, and the very realistic side of things. I wasn't so much pushing it on her, but she wanted to talk of it and seemed to want to listen so I fired away.

She finally decides she likely won't breed her because she doesn't want to risk complications and her dog dying.... but knowing how she is, I wasn't sold...

Let's add that her pittie girl, btw, is outside on the chain.... to get pregnant by any stray mutt. Obviously I tell her this but she insists "there's never any strays around".... -headdesk-

Lo and behold, when he dog goes into heat... she gets pregnant... by a loose dog... who the owner thinks was a mutt (she didn't see the dog). It was either her first or second heat.

She was so pissed that her dog got "knocked up" by a "mutt" and all I could do is just... no comment.

So fast forward, her dog has the puppies, all 8-10 of em (I don't remember the exact #). And after a couple weeks maybe, she calls me and is telling me about them (cue my "Are you for real? I don't even have anything more to say, your ignorance just baffles me out of my mind" face)...

I'll never forget this one little beauty of a comment she told me, and I quote, "I know they're pure pit because this one (puppy) locked jaw on my finger and wouldn't let go for like 5 minutes!" all happy about it..... At this point, I just... this was a one sided conversation. All I could do was, "...Ah huh... Mmmm.... ok...... yea....... ah huuuh". Just not even bothering to waste my breath anymore. There's no point.

But oh, my story isn't yet done (hang in there! lol I'm known to be long-winded)... She not only started giving the puppies away at 1-2 weeks old "because they get more attached to the owner that way.. y'know, when they're bottle fed, they'll be closer to the owner, it's better for them"..... Okay confused

..But around 6 weeks, 7 weeks, she gave the rest away and Every. One. of those puppies died except the one she kept and another who was the only puppy to receive vet care when he went ill (the owner, being a relative of my friend)... the vet gave him a wormer and he was fine...

So my hunch is that the rest of them likely died due to something simply treated or preventable, had they been given the proper care. -_-

I don't know if she'll ever understand the reality. Maybe she'll learn from this, maybe not. But she still excitedly whips out her phone with pics of her neighbors' and friends' litters, too happy to show them off. Little does she seem to realize (STILL, after YEARS) that I do not, in fact, share in her excitement every time I see or hear of another ignorant person breeding their dogs... but that I am silently holding my tongue and rolling my eyes, wishing I could pop the owners up-side their heads.

What ya gonna do? shrug

-Edited to add-

I've brought my friend to the high kill shelter before (she wanted to go) and she was in tears, had to walk out and sit down because it upset her so much..... this was all before her dog had a litter, and she still won't listen. It's just amazing, it really is. confused

Edited by author Sat Mar 16, '13 11:08am PST

[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 1:17pm PST 
Those kind of people seem impossible, like they're gonna do what they want to do just because they can...sadfrown
[notify]
Skarlet

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 10:48am PST 
I remember as a teen showing one of my friends my half grown puppy and their comment on how much they loved puppies and dogs. And then they proceeded to tell me that some day they'd like to have a "puppy farm."

My mom had been a very responsible breeder and I was raised with a great awareness of the difference between that, byb, and puppy mills and what can happen to unwanted puppies or dogs. I just remember being so shocked that my friends were so clueless, they did really like dogs and took good care of their own, just had no idea.

I still am often suprised at people's lack of knowledge about that, and where pet store puppies come from. It's so discouraging realizing how many people are are either clueless or honestly just don't care. At least some will change their minds with education though.
I sure hope your friend changes her mind!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 6:16pm PST 
Here in New England, where there really isn't all that much of a shelter crisis, this is an impossible argument to "win." Sometimes you can terrorize people uncderscoring all that can go wrong, but really that's about it. The idea of not finding "wonderful" homes is impossible to them. The subject of testing unnecessary as "my dog is unhealthy and I paid $1,000 for her." The idea of titling of any kind upended by "aw, she's just a pet....I don't want to breed show dogs."
[notify]
Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 7:41pm PST 
I wouldn't say anything I would just get them in a car and take them to the nearest shelter
[notify]
Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 10:44am PST 
Oh sure, all purebreds go to good homes... Are you kidding me?

Pretty sure Teeko is purebred husky. What I know of his life so far is that he was rescued from being chained up by one owner, fostered through a shelter, adopted to another person who let him run free too much, get hookworms, and either shaved him or let some punks shave him for kicks in the winter.

Sure, he has a good home now, but his life was hell before.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2