GO!

What goes into a home check? - I really want a rescue!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:32pm PST 
hello!

So if all goes well with my landlord and he allows me to have a second dog. I have several rescues all lined up that i plan to visit in the coming month to look for a female companion to Jake. I've decided the breed for us is the Basset Hound. I currently volunteer at a basset rescue and on eof my cousins owns a basset boy that gets along okay with jake and i've helped care for him in the past. I also have experience with basset mixes and pure bred bassets. but i really want a rescued dog. Since i want an older preferably spayed female with a known tempermant.

I say that because I took jake from a shelter so he would not be destroyed and it turns out he was a mess. An utter mess of nerves and neediness (that's what he was being destroyed for). Over the last year with intense training and care i've made jake better and more stable. And i want my next dog to be of some known temperment.

But every rescue i've looked at will require a homecheck and asks about yard space. I have no problem allowing the rescue to come to my home and evaluate it. That doesn't bother me but I will be really upset if i loose another dog becasue i have no yard. Prior to getting jake i lived in a home with a small yard and was denied by several beagle rescues. ** even though back then I was never home and jake traveled with me or was at daycare everyday.**

So now I live in a 500 sq ft apartment with a very small patio. the part of hte patio that jake uses is a 5x6x5 foot cutom made kennel run with grass and a pallet with pillow home made dog bed in it. That part of the patio is for Jake.

Will a rescue person whom comes looking at my home not like that? Since i techincally don't have a huge yard for my dogs to run about in all day long?

Jake gets his morning walk and if its not too cold an evening walk of about 45-60 minutes each. it can be as low as 30 if I'm running behind in the morning or its really cold out side in teh evening.
he used to stay inside but since the weathers been nice he's been out in his run during the day.

Do you think I stand a chance looking at a rescue for a new dog? or am i doomed to just go to the city shelter again to get a dog?

Your input is appreciated.

Jake's Mom.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:42pm PST 
First, know that every rescue differs regarding the point of the home check. I have home checked for several organizations. The reasons can be many. It may just be an extension of the application and a chance to talk more face to face. It may be about seeing if the impressions there are consistent regarding how the person is representing themselves, as a person....if their place jives with who they are saying they are. It may be a physical inspection of the premises. I know with Boxer rescue, I was told to take a dog, and preferably a bouncey one....seeing a dog invading their space and reading their reactions. There can be many aims.

I wouldn't worry too much. Particularly in that you HAVE a dog, and they can see his condition and also how he interacts with you and your basic comfort level.

Where you may get screwed is if they feel yards or for exercising, or if the dog you are interested has a bit of energy. You can counterbalance this by ADDRESSING that the yard is more for fresh air, and that you plan to give exercise vs x, y, z.

Hope helpful? Asks q's if you have them! smile
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:19am PST 
Ah thanks tiller. That gives me the confidence to at least submit applications now. Or rather once i get the Okay from my landlord. Since where I live Bassethound are apparnetly hard to come by. There are 4 rescues in this area and i put htat loosely since hte closest one is ~30 miles and 2.5 hours away. Now i have no issue with driving there and looking at the doggies. Since they have a few that i've been watching since before I got jake that i liked and are still there. But i'd hate to drive all the way out there just to get told nope sorry cuz i don't have a yard.

There are a few closer shelters but they're mixbreeds and don't always have bassets.

You've at least given me the courage to apply now.

Would it be better for me to take Jake with me the first time I go or leave him home? Since I noticed on some of the applications they ask if i have a second or third animal would i be willing to bring them in?
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:36am PST 
My rescue adopts to people without yards but I know some won't so I would ask about that before applying/traveling/falling in love.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:06am PST 
For goldens (and lots of other breeds) having a big yard is a waste in a way--They do not use the space on their own LOL. My 2 got out and do their business, sniff around and then bug to come in.

You should be fine as they can see you manage with no yard with your current dog and are committed to walks, etc. In applications I receive I prefer to see 'we are active, hike, walks, swim, etc' versus the dog will have a large yard.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:31am PST 
I have adopted from a rescue...but got turned down by one before I was successful. The home check person they sent me was getting over the flu. Her behavior was kind of strange...in email contacts she wanted to be my new BFF, but in person - was obviously offput.

I suspect she did not like my other dogs. She was dressed in a black dress coat and ended up covered with yellow lab hair. She seemed to think that the dog she would okay was going to have precedence over the others?

Very offputting. A year later I tried again with a different organization and the person who visited was lovely. Loved my dogs, had a wonderful conversation and ok'd me, no issue.

So...if you have an unfortunate experience - don't let it phase you. Get a recommendation of rescues (Tiller seems to know them all!) and try again.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:29pm PST 
Thanks for your kind words.

I attempted to go through a rescue before to get a cute girl beagle and got turned over in the home check. Then i was broken hearted for a week before I got the call about Jake's supposed last car ride (silenced). But it worked out for the best since the girl i wanted was in a no kill shelter and she's been adopted out to someone. And i ended up saving Jake's life. The bundle of nerves that he was. But i was so devistated since I had already bought all the supplies i needed for a dog and showed them that. I had a 30lb bag of dog food, bowls, leashes, collars, a harness and a private vet. I had a job that payed me well and a proof of income and what not. But i got dinged because were i rented there was a tiny yard even though I explained I was only there to sleep and the dog would be traveling with me.

Jake's in prime condition. Not too fat, not to skinny. Does him being on a BARF/Raw diet affect my chances of adopting? I mean i do keep Instinct Medallions in my fridge right now so if my mom comes over to feed him but I'm going to start making my own patties soon.

Thanks. I really hope this all goes well i've found several nice dogs taht I know will make a good friend to my Mr. Beagle. This time I hope they're all of some type of "known" temperment.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:29pm PST 
Thanks for your kind words.

I attempted to go through a rescue before to get a cute girl beagle and got turned over in the home check. Then i was broken hearted for a week before I got the call about Jake's supposed last car ride (silenced). But it worked out for the best since the girl i wanted was in a no kill shelter and she's been adopted out to someone. And i ended up saving Jake's life. The bundle of nerves that he was. But i was so devistated since I had already bought all the supplies i needed for a dog and showed them that. I had a 30lb bag of dog food, bowls, leashes, collars, a harness and a private vet. I had a job that payed me well and a proof of income and what not. But i got dinged because were i rented there was a tiny yard even though I explained I was only there to sleep and the dog would be traveling with me.

Jake's in prime condition. Not too fat, not to skinny. Does him being on a BARF/Raw diet affect my chances of adopting? I mean i do keep Instinct Medallions in my fridge right now so if my mom comes over to feed him but I'm going to start making my own patties soon.

Thanks. I really hope this all goes well i've found several nice dogs taht I know will make a good friend to my Mr. Beagle. This time I hope they're all of some type of "known" temperment.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:54pm PST 
It alllll depends on the rescue and the person doing the home check. I was once denied a dog flat-out before the person even got in my door because I have open-face stairs leading to my front door. Period.

They didn't even come inside...and at the time I was a registered vet tech whose happy, healthy dog (Jasper) who would have loved a friend....not to mention I have MILES of hiking trails less than a block from my front door which Jasper and I utilize daily. It completely turned me off of adopting a second dog. Don't be as easily discouraged as I was, I regret it. smile

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 9:54pm PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 6:13am PST 
We do raw as well. The group I adopted from was really interested. They have other raw feeders and several of the people that I dealt with wanted to talk to me about it because they had considered trying it.

So, that would also depend on the group you adopt from. I think a "good" and well informed group will not have an issue.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3