GO!

Hoping to adopt a wolfdog

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:46pm PST 
Pretty straight forward, I want to adopt a mid-content wolfdog. My parents aren't sure, mainly because they are so expensive. I am expecting to get a job in a few months (hard to get a job in my town until you're sixteen), so I am trying to tell them they can have my paycheck every month until I pay them back, and then I will pay for food and vet visits myself. We have a small yard, which they are also concerned about, but there is a park a block away I have a feeling one of those fellas would just love! (not a dog park, but it's very nice)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to convince my parents to allow this, I would highly appreciate it. I already have a name picked out and everything, and if this doesn't happen, I'll be devestated.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 4:21pm PST 
I'm not a dog expert but I am the Mom of grown kids and really I don't think a wolfdog is a good idea for anybody. Maybe someone who has had specialized dog training and experience, with a very secured kennel and no children, neighbors or other animals anywhere close by.

It's just that the situation where you're getting the dog from sounds like bad newsd. And the more wolf and less dog in it's genetics means the difference between having a somewhat trainable uber-strong dog and a very unstable dangerous wild animal.

I've known people who think wolfdog are totally badass. But having a dog like that doesn't make you cool, it means you aren't thinking about responsibilty and consequences.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 4:56pm PST 
Everything Opheila said.... and more.

You dont have means...you cant guarentee HAVING means... and its not a type of dog for a first timer.. or for many even if experienced. Are you prepared to hike 10 miles several times a week ? A stroll in the park once a day isnt going to cut it.

You are then.. IF you get a job.. going to leave a type of dog that is very single centred while you go "out to work" 5...6... 7 days a week....

"Want" sadly doesnt equal "should have".

None of this is said in a bad way... but maybe you need to do the stages to get the destination.

First RESEARCH,,, and forget a "wolf dog" till you have several years experience with easier dogs.

2nd.... get a job... SAVE money( a serious vet visit in an emergency could cost you $1000 and more)Basic needs are constant... have the money for them.

3rd... RESEARCH,,, see what your lifestyle is THEN.. that is maybe 2 years down the line.

Consider some voluntary work at a local shelter... EXPERIENCE what you want from a dog.

Then... when you have some money saved..and some idea of where your next 10 years may be heading(yeah.. i know... nothing is set in stone)Then....

RESEARCH the breed or the rescue dog you might want... THEN start looking...

Once more... none of the above is against you.. its offering you a reasonable working plan.

Its about responsibilty.... for many years....

GOOD LUCK.. and I mean that sincerely....

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 5:02pm PST

[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:06pm PST 
Wolfdogs aren't a good fit for most people. Why do you want a wolfdog? How much research have you done? Do you know in what ways they differ from domestic dogs? How many owners of real wolfdogs (not obvious Husky mixes the owners claim are wolfdogs) have you spoken to? How many wolfdogs have you interacted with? Obviously you don't need to answer these questions for anyone here, but I personally wouldn't recommend a wolfdog to anyone who wanted one based solely on their appearance, and who hadn't had a lot of hands-on experience with them.

You say you want to adopt one, but then you say they're expensive and you'll need to borrow money from your parents to get one, so I'm guessing you actually mean you want to buy one from a breeder? This is definitely a breed with a lot of unscrupulous breeders, so you really need to know what to look for before buying.

Since you're sixteen, it's also worth considering what will happen to the dog if/when you go to college. If you live in a dorm, chances are you won't be able to take the dog with you.

If you're serious about responsibly owning this type of animal, I would contact Dogster Wilbur and get her input. That said, if your parents are against it, you have a small yard, you're not experienced with them, and will possibly be moving into a dorm in a couple years, now might not be the best time.

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 10:02pm PST

[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:24pm PST 
A wolfdog is not a dog you can take to the park and enjoy sunny afternoons with.
It is not a dog you can take to events, the lake, petsmart..
It is not a dog that can sit at home 7am - 2pm while you're at school, and then another 4+ hours each day.

In fact, it isn't a dog at all.

There are some cases that these dogs live within the home and can lead very successful lives.
But only with experienced handlers-- who have invested many many many years and money into the dogs and their well-being.

What makes you want a wolfdog?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 6:23pm PST 
Volunteering might be a real good idea for you right now, look online and find a shelter or rescue group that needs kennel workers. Most places always welcome extra hands and the hours can be around when you're available.

It would give you valuable experience with a variety of dogs and a variety of dog personalities. Right now if you're in school and stuff you really might not have time to have a dog at home. After you graduate and get settled then you'll have some good experience and research into exactly what pooch would be best for you.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 7:34pm PST 
Would you also be devastated if your pet was taken from you by bylaw(as many places DO restrict such breed mixes) and destroyed? Or, as better as it is, shipped off to a wolfdog sanctuary? Would you be devastated if you couldn't properly socialize or train a mid-content wolfdog and something, dog forbid, happened to it or another person/animal? Would you be devastated if the wolfdog got destructive in the home from boredom and lack of mental stimulation and wrecked your parents house and they demanded you rehome it? Seeing as expenses usually mean breeder instead of rescue, would you also be devastated if the animal you got ended up with health issues later on in life that cost you thousands of dollars to take care of? If you move out at eighteen or older, and rent a home, what will you tell potential landlords and how will you go about finding a home that allows such a breed mix? Would it devastate you to struggle to stay on your feet and find a rental that allowed such an animal, or even such a large one at that? Many places have breed or size restrictions. Would you also be devastated if you went to college and could not take your pet with you? Would you be devastated to find that wolfdogs are escape artists and yours managed to escape and got hit by a car or otherwise lost or hurt?

I'm not saying these things to be mean. I'm saying them to be realistic. At your age, a dog would be far better suited to you and your experiences. Wolfdogs, especially mid-content, can be extremely DIFFICULT for inexperienced handlers, and even for experienced handlers that have never before handled wolfdogs. Wolfdogs are VERY much animals, and not so much domesticated pet. You need to have the right HOME, the right FENCING, the right EXPERIENCE, and the TIME and MONEY to be able to handle these animals. They CAN be successful as pets in a home.. But only for the right people and never would I recommend them for a sixteen year old. Ever.

Try finding a rescue/shelter or sanctuary close to you that you can volunteer at instead to gain some experience.

I have to agree with everything everyone else has said.

Wolfdogs require A LOT of exercise. Can be destructive if left to their own devices or if they get bored. NEED lots of mental stimulation, just as much as they need lots of physical stimulation too. They NEED a SECURE fenced yard - and I mean SECURE. Dig guard, extremely high fencing, fencing they cannot climb, and even often need a ROOF on their outdoor yards to prevent escapes safely. Trust me. I've looked into this and have fully decided to WAIT until I OWN a home on some land in the country, and I plan to adopt from a rescue nearby that has low-content because even I, with the experience I have with fear and aggression, know that even I would have difficulties with a mid-content. These animals ARE NOT easy, and are better left to experienced handlers.

If you volunteer first with a rescue/shelter and/or a sanctuary that has wolfdogs, you can gain some experience AND perspective.

This shouldn't be a matter of what YOU want, so much as it SHOULD be a matter of what's best for these animals and your situation does not sound best. You live at home with your parents, you're young, you likely have no experience with wolfdogs, you admit you have a small yard, and no job currently to boot. Wait until you're older, have more experience handling dogs and volunteering with wolfdogs, OWN a home of your own, and have the money. You'll be glad you did, because otherwise, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Think really, really hard about this.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 8:02pm PST 
I agree with the above posters. To be honest, it does not sound like you really understand what it takes to care for a wolf-dogs, or even what a wolf-dog is. It also is not fair to your mom or family to try to pressure them into letting you buy one (and no rescue would/should adopt out to a 16yr old, imo). It is a commitment everyone in the family must agree upon, caring for a wolf-dog is no small task, and to properly do so is quite expensive...it costs adults a lot of money and time. They are NOT house pets!! You must have a proper inclosure and a proper diet as well as medical care (from what I hear, your average vet is not going to want you walking in with one)....to be quite blunt, they are not for children, teenagers, or even adults who do not understand them or are capable of caring for them. I am talking to myself here too...I love wolf-dogs, but I know I will never be able to own one because of what they actually are (true wolf-dogs are not pet dogs and you can not treat them like dogs) and what actually needs to be done to properly care for them. You need to be realistic about it, this is NOT something you can just randomly do and expect things to turn out all right, it will not end well.

For now, I would encourage you to go ahead and do more research on them...listen to what those here tell you (look up 'wolf-dogs', there have been other threads about them here on Dogster). Do not buy into the whole 'they are just like regular dogs'...doing so will set you up for a lot of heartbreak. Volunteering sounds like a great idea.way to go
[notify]
Bob

Puppy Building - From a Blank- Slate

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:29pm PST 
I'd be concerned about the source that's selling you the dog. They cost a lot, because it's lucrative to the seller. My breed is often a breed sold as a wolf, for high $$$ when it's actually just a dog. Ive had many people see my dogs, tell me they want to breed to my wolves, because they can't find any of them anywhere, and argue with me when I tell them my dogs aren't wolves at all, they are purebred CHAMPIONS. shrug Then they argue with me, because I'm surely wrong because their wolves came with "papers" verifying that they are registered wolves. (There is no such thing) and Wolves are the best pets, and friendliest pets ever. (If they have my breed, I would agree with that part)

It's a scam. Reputable sellers do not sell wolves.

If they are selling for high prices to anyone who comes along, they do not have that canine's interest at heart. They are exploiting for a profit only. This should be warning enough. And I concur with what everyone else has said above.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:09am PST 
I've met a few "wolfdog"s . They are not friendly and would seemly want to eat my poor Jake if they could.

I have also has the pleasure of meeting real wolves and I can tell you that is not a pet. The entire time we were there the wolves seemed to be rather reclusive and yet at the same time sizing you up. I didn't like it and they didn't make me comfortable at all. Now I loved the huskey it was friendly enough. But the lady whom i went to see the wolves with was an animal trainer for movies and conservation. ( for a while that was my dream big grin but alas it will stay a dream). Even she explained the wolves were not pets and should not be treated as such as they were wild animals.

I still remember watching that show "Fatal Attractions" and how a woman whom loved her pack of wolfdogs so much they ended up mauling and eating her. Not saying that will happen to you or anyone else whom owns a wolf dog but as a warning.

Anything that's part wild animal usually isn't a pet. And should only be handled by a trained professional.

Another thing to remember is becareful of where you live. Someone else here pointed that out.

You think it's sad when someone's pitbull gets taken away and destroyed because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Consider that for your new puppy. Most states and cities have rules against wolf hybrids. Where i once lived coyotes were known to reproduce with dogs and if your bitch came home pregnant and you didn't breed her most people kept it quite. since the pups would be euthanized if sold as hybrids.

Check your city laws and then your state laws in regards to wild animal hybrids. I'm almost willing to bet it's probably illegal where you live.

Consider a huskey. It's got all that wolfish appeal and is a dog.

Also aquire a job and money first before getting the dog.

Before I got jake I had already picked an insurance company and owned his food bowl, food of choice, dog bed, crate and all the walking supplies i would need. So in essance i spent about $300s before i even got the dog of my dreams.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3