GO!

What does it take to foster?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Chloe - Adoptable!

Looking for- love!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 12:14pm PST 
I did but she's not flashy, some people think she's down right homely. She had a meet & greet yesterday. Ignored their dog posing at her and snuggled the kids. They didn't take her. It's enough to make me rip my hair out!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 12:55pm PST 
Do you want to send me that listing, or just C&P it here? Poor Chloe! She needs to get adopted frown
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 1:22pm PST 
It's okay, I'm just feeling frustrated because she had a meet & greet yesterday that didn't work out and I don't know why. Their dog was a little grumpy (barking at her) but she ignored him and snuggled the kids. I swear one kid was petting her eye and she was thrilled. We have one last application on her, I phoned them last night, we'll see if anything comes of it. Third time's the charm?
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 2:27pm PST 
You never know! wink Typically, the love starts with the listing. You may have people who also have a long list of dogs to meet. The amount of the bond already formed prior to the listing can be very dynamic. One of my methods, part of my adoption counselor madness laugh out loud, is to try to create the bond before the meet-and-greet. You wrote a beautiful ode here.....certainly sold ME! I am not sure if you have direct contact with applicants, but if you do, try and tear a page from my book wink You certainly seem to have a gift for it, so use it when you can smile I try and set the hook before the meeting, for between the pressure on the people to make the decision and the dog not knowing the script themselves, when you know in your heart the match is a solid one, sometimes you need to set things up for success laying down that framework.

Edited by author Tue Feb 19, '13 2:29pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:01pm PST 
Ummm, now I want Chloe.laugh out loud
I understand though, I was heartbroken that no one wanted Senora. Not an attractive little girl but sweet, easy, loving, smart, with eyes that just broke your heart.

To foster you need to have a great sense of humor and not be afraid to cry. Even the ones that don't stay long steal little nibbles of your heart. On of us has a boy that's been with her about a year. She's going to lose it when he goes, I know it.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 6:33pm PST 
I'm here to add another quality- The ability to keep calm and act fast under stress.

Tonight I dropped my 6lb foster dog and broke his leg. The sight of the leg hanging there completely out of alignment, and him SCREAMING was pretty nerve wracking. I was able to make the calls I needed, get in the car, and get him to the vet without panicking. Anyone that would panic in a situation like that would end up making things worse. I must say I am pretty impressed with my ability to keep calm in that situation! smile Now the guilt on the other hand....
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 7:35am PST 
Wow. Thanks for all the info. that I vicariously learned from. I am (madly) considering a 5th dog (will wait until retirement next year) and have thought...I wonder if I could do more good by fostering.

Not. For. Me.

But thanks so much to those of you who do! It is so valuable. I also want Chloe, but already know my next one HAS to be a male. (if it happens at all. sanity may still win the day.)
[notify]
Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 1:05pm PST 
I have been fostering for almost a year now. You have to be ready to deal with anything. I had one dog get off her leash and thought I was playing a game with her trying to chase her. One dog I had was so broken mentally that he could not be adopted and had to be put down. I would of kept him but he was attacking my dog towards the end and my place is too small to deal with that. My dog comes first no matter what. I have had heard times letting some of them go but I know they go to good homes and I can save another. Its the best feeling ever
[notify]
Sawyer- *ADOPTED*

Shy Boy

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 6:30pm PST 
Maybe I'm a horrible foster mom but all I can think of are the things that explain why someone wouldn't want this dog. Or maybe that's just the two fosters I've had. LOL. Honestly, both dogs are great dogs but they just need the right person. One who understands how they tick and are willing to work with them so that their obnoxious behavior is less of an issue. That's not to say I don't see their good traits. More like I'm apt to discuss why someone might not want them rather than why they would. I'd rather know a dogs faults and love them anyway than paint a glowing picture of a dog and have someone totally turned off by one of his less-than-stellar traits. But that's just how I roll. smile

I also tend to enjoy the challenge of a less "normal" dog and like taking the time to do some training with my fosters. Give them an extra leg up on their journey.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:31am PST 
Oh I hear you, I think I've only had 2 out of 9 that I felt like I could place anywhere and they'd be good. I had one Chi for 3.5 months and regected like 5 or 6 applications on her before I was happy!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3