GO!

And I was never a "dog person"

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 1:46pm PST 
As we got closer to the time my daughter and Kale move back out, I've been thinking how much I'll miss the boy - they've been with us over a year now. And wistfully perusing husky rescue pages wondering if I should get another husky after they leave.

Then a post online about a neighbor moving out, who had a stray husky pop into her garage, but they were moving and couldn't keep him there much longer. From a very brief description, I thought it was a husky I'd seen walking around the neighborhood, so I volunteered to keep him until owners could be found.

Got there... Not the same dog I was expecting.

Today, found out he was chipped, but the owner hadn't registered, so I had to go back to the shelter he was adopted from for more info.

Long story short, in TWO MONTHS since adoption, he lost about 14 pounds or so and had been subjected to a horrible hacked up shave(!) over most of his body. (The internet is a wonderful thing - I was able to get some "before" pictures, when he was up for adoption.)

I don't know if I can talk my husband into this boy as another forever dog, or if I'll end up re-homing him, but the effect of neglect over a short 2 months was just awful. Yet, he's still as sweet as can be. He and Ace are best buddies (he and Kale, not so much... But I guess same-sex dislike isn't uncommon in huskies).

And revisiting the grooming section on how long may take for this boy to get his once lovely coat back (2 years) just makes it that much more maddening.

Wish me well with this poor pup. One way or another, he will have a better life from now on.

Not going back to that owner, no how, no way.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 5:13pm PST 
Bless yo for taking him in, and GOOD LUCK!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:21pm PST 
It's admirable that you took the stray in for adoption. Wish you all the best about adopting him. cheer
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:47am PST 
I just answered your post for the "fattening up" question...bless ya, I do believe things happen for a reason really. If you had told me ten years ago I'd be in love with A dog nevermind two dogs, I would have never believed it.
And both Sophie and Callie came to me quite by accident and I feel they were meant to be...
We went through the same things at the beginning, they were both painfully thin and they're fur and skin took months to clean up. But now they're both big healthy doggies! You can do it too absolutely!!! Best wishes on your new fur childdog walk
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 5:04pm PST 
I want to keep him. It's just better having a pair. Kale and my daughter are moving out soon, and Ace loves other dogs, absolutely revels in their company. My husband isn't happy about the idea. But we'll see. At the very least, I will do my best to ensure he is taken care of forever.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 4:05am PST 
I am sure your husband will get over it. After all, men are not "lord and master " anymore. I hope you decide to keep your new dog.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 10:00am PST 
My husband wasn't too keen on another dog either but it turned out beautifully. Sophie has always been my shadow but Callie has developed a really sweet bond with my husband. When he's home they'll lay out sharing chips and dip n' watching the game together...Daddy's boy, smart doglaugh out loud
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:23am PST 
Ace and Teeko are getting along SO well. He's a few months younger than she is, but even as thin as he is, he has the energy to play with her a lot. It'll break Ace's heart (and mine) to be an only dog again, if both Kale and Teeko leave.

After my husband went ballistic over Teeko, I learned he was dealing with another emotional issue with a family member, so I'm really hoping it was just general misdirected crabbiness and he'll come around. Not counting on it though.

He's never accepted Ace, but he has Kale. Probably because we knew from the beginning Kale was temporary. But he's made the suggestion before that Kale should stay behind when my daughter moves out, since she'll likely be moving into an apartment because that's all she'll be able to afford. (And because Kale is a much mellower less energetic dog than Ace.)

I'm hoping it was husky magic and Teeko will eventually work it on him though.
[notify]
Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 10:02am PST 
Meet Teeko, Ace's newest best buddy!

Still don't know if I can keep him forever, but I had to start a page for this special boy that stole my heart.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:35pm PST 
Whatta Sweetie!!!!!!, always had a soft spot for huskiesapplause
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2