GO!

Why Do "Adoptable Dog" Dogster Pages Not Show Up in The Adoption Search Function?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 3:41pm PST 
This really annoys me and is *not right* !!!!!

Shortest post I will ever do, but I am asking AGAIN! I have pmailed Dogster before and have been promised this will be fixed. Didn't believe it then and certainly, a year and a half later, don't believe it now.

So maybe my post gets taken down, but I am trying to get this rectified and being a squeaky wheel.

We adopted out some of our more difficult placements before these Petfinder partnership changes, and now that resource is gone.

It's just not right.

Not only for me, but for private pet owners trying to do what is ethically right and least burdensome to owners by placing their own pet. This has been such a good resource, but they are screwed also.

That's not right, either.

Edited by author Fri Dec 7, '12 3:43pm PST

[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 3:42pm PST 
All I can say is I completely agree. Hope this sparks a change.way to go
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 4:03pm PST 
Thank you! I think your dog is amazingly gorgeous, by the way. And that's not me schmoozing....I truly think your dog is AMAZINGLY gorgeous laugh out loud

Back to my topic. I would like everyone to read the below, and if after reading it you do not agree with this....please, please post your feelings. Even a one word post.

Before the Petfinder partners thing, when you did an adoption search it would pull up all the Dogster pages that had indicated "adoptable." It was this great, alternate avenue. Great for rescues who could take the time, also great for those trying to place their own pet. I loved the format too....able to be so much more descriptive, and such an appealing page. We had so many awesome adoptions through this channel. Three that stand out were a Catahoula puppy who was a handful, adopted out by the shelter and returned in HALF a day laugh out loud Found an amazing, dog savvy owner for him. Or Sherman, an ACD mix who had languished at a no kill for many months with no takers, and was adopted in three days. Or, we adopted a puppy to Darci Kistler and her wonderful daughter....she is a prima ballerina, Ballachine's last, living on a beautiful estate in Long Island. I mean, come ON, how awesome was that! Her daughter loved puppy Lola's page and had to have her.

Now, the only way we show up is if you search local shelters and access Dogster pages through that channel. And how many search for dogs that way?! Not many! And that search function is low on the page, anyway. On the other hand, use the function on top of the page, where you can specify locality, breed, age and so on, and alllllllllll you get is Petfinder stuff. Additionally, while Dogster pages can at least show up through the local shelter search function, those trying to adopt out privately get nothing. Zero! Zilch! Zip!!!

Since the Petfinder partnership, everyone else gets shut out. That includes anyone...ANYONE!....trying to privately rehome their dog or their friend's dog, etc. Which is exactly what S/R would WANT THEM TO DO! Also, anyone not on Petfinder. The little guys. We can't get on Petfinder. We have tried three times. They have prickly rules about transport based rescues, and yet sending them more than even the documentation they asked for, nothing. So ok, we do Adopt-A-Pet. But Dogster was as helpful or more helpful, and was a goldmine when it came to hard to place dogs.

In this leaner time for rescue, we all need every resource we've got.

This is supposed to be a COMMUNITY site.

That is not a community way! Not at all!!!!!!

It's really icky.

Like Dogster sold out to The Man and has stranded all the little people.

Huh? shrug

PLEASE let them know your feelings!!!!
[notify]

Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 4:15pm PST 
aww, thankswink

If we tell people they are responsible for their pets, then they should be allowed the resources given to others (ie, shelters, rescues, etc) to rehome their dog or foster(s) when that is what is best for the dog. I understand the need to weed out the byb's, flippers, and such...but this method really hurts those who are legitimately and responsibly trying to rehome dog(s) themselves.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:53pm PST 
I've always wondered why there even was an option to list dogs as adoptable on here if their Dogster pages didn't show up in the adoption search results on here.

Edited by author Fri Dec 7, '12 7:53pm PST

[notify]
Kimiko

Barkster

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 5:34pm PST 
I didn't come to these sites for a while and noticed this when I came back. Good to know there was something behind it, and I completely agree. I rehomed a cat through catster a few years ago to a lovely woman who lived within two hours of me. I got to see their updates for a while as they're no longer very active on the site, but it was a great resource for an adult.

Now, the only thing I can see that's available without having to pay for an ad is craiglist, where I don't reply to a lot of e-mails for being obvious scams or very suspicious responses. And right now I have a FIV+ mom who I took in and am willing to keep and find a home for but the type of person willing to take on a special needs animal likely isn't checking craigslist to find it. Petfinder has taken over pretty much every avenue and no longer allows people to post private ads on their own site, either. I understand the push to adopt from a shelter, but it's so difficult that it pushes even the people trying to very responsibly rehome a pet when they have to towards thinking about putting the pet in a shelter to find a better home.

Except the rescues pretty much ONLY pull from the kill shelters, and most won't even respond to trying to get an animal listed with their group. I'm sure they feel (understandably) that it would take away spotlight from the animals that THEY'RE trying to help, but it's very frustrating when you're an individual trying to help that animal without dumping it into the overburdened shelter system and the main resources for advertisement being the scary sort. I sift through tons of very suspicious e-mails trying to find homes for these foundlings, and these scammers are starting to get a lot better at trying to sound very legitimate.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 11:38pm PST 
I agree too. Adoptable dogsters should come up first. Come on Dogster, if you get too commercial sooner or later we will all move to a site that puts the dogs first, not advertising contracts.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:15pm PST 
I haven't had a foster in over a year, so I had no idea about this change, but that just isn't right! I placed one dog through Dogster and it was a fabulous home! Yes, my rescue has Petfinder, but there was little room for people to get to know the dogs.

I fully support this Tiller.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 7:25pm PST 
Tiller... saymadia dont care.... all they want is the e-mag and its advertisers.

The "Community" side of dogster is run by just 2 people.. and those arent full time on it cos ... well this is saymadia.

Its not right... its not fair.... and many of us (including you) have tried in every way we can to try and keep this all together.

We all have to go on being squeaky wheels.. cos our own efforts are mostly what is left...

Do I think the ceo of aforementioned ownership cares... NO... but I DO... YOU DO.... ALL the ABOVE DO

And that is our only real hope.

Ok... I can also go and sit in the 'Sin Bin " with you now !!!

Edited by author Sat Dec 29, '12 7:27pm PST

[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 11:19am PST 
**Bumpity Bump**

Time to hold Dogster's feet to the fire. naughty Please, Dogster: A little less Dogster Magazine, and a little more "For the Love of the Dog".
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2