GO!

becoming a foster home

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:44am PST 
I currently have a chihuahua and a small cat and am looking into becoming a foster home for another Chihuahua from the rescue Miso is from.

Anything in particular I should be ready for?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 2:12pm PST 
Yeah, be ready for everyone in your life to tell you to adopt the dog you're fostering. Happens to me all the time!
[notify]
Jagger- **ADOPTED**

Ewok/Wookiee- Cross

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 6:53am PST 
Jagger is my first foster dog and people are already telling me to keep him. He's been here a week now. LOL. I already know he's not staying (there's nothing wrong with him--I just know he's not mine).

Be prepared for some stress in your life for a bit. I know I forgot how easy I have it with Risa because we've been together for 6 years. She just knows stuff but the foster boy does not! So there is a lot of training involved at the start and some frustration because you need to figure this new dog out. And he needs to figure you out too! Remember, a foster dog has been through a lot. They need some time to adjust to their new lives and figure out their new home. Take it easy. Jagger hasn't been anywhere except my own property in the week he's been here. He needs to figure out who I am before I try and take him anywhere.

Since you have another dog in the house, I would take it slow on introductions as well. A friend of mine recommended this blog entry that I think will help you out: Two Week Staycation: The Beginning.

Good luck!
[notify]

Zoey

love my family- but strangers- beware

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:38am PST 
We have done this a couple of times for one of our local shelters. We usually take the young puppies that they can't handle so we have a litter at a time. We have 3 dogs already at home but we have to keep the babies separate anyway, so it is a little easier. The first time we had 5 (4-5) week old puppies we fell in love with for about two weeks. The second time we had a mom Chihuahua an d her 2 5 week old puppies. We fell in love with them also. We were supposed to have them until they turned 8 weeks old but ended up having them for 2 months. With our other dogs it is easier not to want/have to adopt any more at this time, but we always have a hard time when we give them back because you do fall in love with them. We only take when we have a time limit to give them back although that is not always the correct time limit. Be prepared to love them and I always cry when they go back. If you have little puppies they are a lot of work and taking multiples makes it even harder. Also the shelter didn't provide anything for us to foster them besides a little bit of food to start, some bedding, and a crate to travel in. It could be different for other shelters but be prepared for the added expense and traveling to and from the vet for visits, and if they have any health problems such as worms or worse. That said, if they called me today to take on some more puppies we would pick them right up. It is a great thing to do but you do have to know your limits. We were going to take some 5 day old abandoned puppies but with all the work bottle feeding for an undetermined amount of time we had to turn them down. Good luck!
[notify]