GO!

New Stray Malamute or Husky?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bella

Miss Boss

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 8:20am PST 
Hi all! Found this guy this morning and I don't know enough about sibes and malmamutes to know what he is. I am thinking a malamute just because he is SO big. Also does anyone know anyone at a rescue in the Orange County/LA County California area? I will be putting up posters tonight and hopefully when my hubby gets home he can help me load up the guy in the car to see if he has a microchip. He has a huge fatty tumor on his left front leg. Poor guy! Oh yeah pictures are on the bottom of Bella's page. Thanks!
Bella, Gem and Casey's Mom
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 9:08am PST 
I'm really bad with these two breeds so I'll leave it to someone else! Good luck!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:44am PST 
Looks more like a malamute to me as well,especially with the bone structure and feet on the front legs. The build appears to be more similar to my Akitas which says Malamute,not Husky to me. JMO.
[notify]

Bella

Miss Boss

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:45am PST 
Thanks guys! Yeah I figured since he is so big he could not be a husky but they look so similar to me I thought I would get a second opinion. I am really hoping I find his owners. I am afraid that my local pound will euthanize him as soon as his time is up because of his age and tumor. I do know a house in my area where they have two dogs either sibes or malamutes so they are my first stop and then it is off to post posters and when my hubby gets home around 6pm it will be off to Petsmart to see if he has a chip. Petsmart is close but he walks so slow and with his tumor I figure it can't be too comfortable. . . wish him luck!
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 2:55pm PST 
I'm thinking definitely Malamute but there could be some Husky in there too... He has a very deep, chest and slimmer build so I don't think he's pure Malamute. However, his slim build could be down to him being underweight thinking

I really hope you find somewhere for him to go where he will be loved and appreciated. He's beautiful!

Good luck puppy

Keep us posted.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:01pm PST 
I grew up with Malamutes. It's hard to tell from the pictures. Huskies are usually lightly built and Malamutes are a much heavier build. He could be a mix. Hopefully you can find were he belongs.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 8:44pm PST 
Can you look for a husky/malamute rescue? Maybe they would take him. Could you foster him while he is finding a new home?
[notify]
Bella

Miss Boss

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:29am PST 
Ugh this guy is going to break my heart. . . . I got to indroduce him to my three dogs and they are doing good. Bella is a bit bossy but he is figuring out that she is all bark and no bite. He has a flea alergy and his butt is bare. The tumor is hard as a rock and he seems to be licking it allot. frown I have contacted (emailed) about five different rescues (breed specific) in my area yesterday. The only response I received was an angry woman telling me that it is illegal to take a dog off of the street and that I should have just called animal control and let them handle it.shock I am going today to report him as found at the pound on my lunch break and see if my vet will take a look at him tonight. I just have a sinking feeling that someone abandon him due to his tumor. I am still holding out hope but like I said I got a bad feeling. He is such a sweet happy boy.

Unfortunately I cannot foster him in the mean time. By law I am only allowed to have three dogs and I have a neighbor who does not like my family that would be happy to report us. And when it comes down to it my husband is not working currently and he is not up for it. And of course when it comes down to it I don't have the $$ to vet him properly with his tumor. Hopefully something will go his way. I am hoping to convince my husband that we should at least keep him through the weekend. Please keep him in your thoughts. He really is a lovely dog. He even gave me a little kiss this morning
[notify]
Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 4:12pm PST 
The ear shape, face shape and body size i'd bet on sibe not a malamute.
[notify]
Bella

Miss Boss

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 6:22pm PST 
So we got home from the vet and I have no good news. He is an older guy 8-10 years the vet estimated. The vet said that they would def have to take his whole leg and that the chances of it effecting his lungs and everything else that he wasn't even sure if taking the leg would be enough. The vet said that he guessed the tumor is at least 15lbs if not 20lbs.

I just cannot understand how someone could do this to him. Someone loved him. His nails are neatly trimmed and he is not skinny. And then to ignore a tumor for so long and watch it take over your dogs body and then just to dump him. He is a really sweet dog despite his health. He is amazing and beautiful and he is breaking my heart. He is sick though. He licks his tumor allot and it looks like it is going to burst. And tonight I am noticing he is drinking gallons of water.

So what would you guys do. He is sick and needs to be put to sleep. My husband says to have animal control pick him up but the thought of them putting him in a kennel for 7 days just to euthinize him is killing me. I would rather do it myself but I don't know if that is the right thing either. If you were in my shoes right now what would you do?

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!
cry
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3