GO!

I feel terrible...

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Ruckus *adoptable*

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 9:36am PST 
It looks like we're going to have to give Ruckus back. It just looks like we've bitten off more than we can chew with all of his issues combined. I feel like a failure, like I've let everyone down. I took on this responsibility, and feel like I should see it through. If it weren't for my siblings, nieces, and nephews, I wouldn't think about giving him back, but he's not good with children at all and has bitten my sister multiple times already. We need to think about their safety, but it doesn't make me feel any better frown.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 10:33am PST 
hughughughughughug
[notify]
Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 3:44pm PST 
There are some dogs with "bad wiring". You cannot change what is inborn--no matter what you do. It is a case where he's a biter--and "common sense" tells you this is NOT a dog you need to keep in your life. We all wish we could change these dogs--but only our Maker could do that. It is most probably a bad case of breeding. Anyone who keeps a dog like this, is asking for someone to really get hurt. It is best to let him go--and move on. There are MILLIONS of good dogs out there--find one and love him/her! There are SO many needing homes, and the love YOU can give them! You can't change this situation--move on. Sometimes, I hate it, but euthanizing these dogs are the only way for them to find peace. Even in this, you let them go and do it in love--to give them that peace. It isn't an act of cruelty, or unkindness if a dog is so badly wired he becomes a biter/aggressive with his people. Let him go in loving peace. Love him for the good you found in this little dog. cry I'm sorry for you and this little dog!cry
[notify]

Ruckus *adoptable*

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 5:40am PST 
I'm sure that Ruckus will find a loving home. He isn't ours, just a foster, but we just can't have a foster that bites, not with my little sister in the house. He's a good dog 90% of the time. I just think he would do well in a single dog, no kid family.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 7:14am PST 
Not every dog that bites is 'badly wired' or needs to be put to death. Going straight to recommending euthanization when this dog isn't even the OP's dog (it's a foster) (?) That's not a decision for the OP to make, but whatever organization they're fostering the dog for. Technically, the dog is the property of that organization and they have the ultimate responsibility for the dog (in most states, anyway, not sure about the OP's location)

Many dogs who bite due to bad experiences, lack of training/socialization can be successfully rehabilitated. Some cannot be turned around, though, that's true; and then safety should be the deciding factor.

It certainly shouldn't be attempted by the OP with so many children in the home. This could be months of behavior mod work. I'm sure Ruckus did their best in the situation and I hope the rescue is understanding and moves the dog quickly to a safer location and figures out what to do after an evaluation.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 7:32am PST 
It could still work out just fine for this dog. Our Cookie flunked out of two foster homes. She had a rep. as a biter, and the fosters found out her issues the hard way. The rescue thought I was a good home for her, and I took a chance and she is wonderful.

The key has been to exercise her little butt off. Now she is loving life and we are loving her. Good luck to this pup...there is a home for him...
[notify]
Ruckus *adoptable*

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 8:10am PST 
Thanks so much all. We had an incident last night that was pretty much the last straw. It wasn't a bad bite, no broken skin or anything like that, just a little bruising maybe, but it was enough. I don't know when he's leaving yet, the rescue hasn't gotten back to us with a time yet, but he's definitely going for sure. I have no doubt that he'll find his perfect forever home one day, but he just needs more care and attention than I can give him right now to get to that point. frown
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 12:27pm PST 
I see that you have deleted Ruckus's page. Sorry it didn't work out for you this time. I think you made a wise decision to return him, as the safety of your family must come first. Hope he finds another foster soon. smile
[notify]
April

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:32pm PST 
I adopted a 1 year old german shepherd who was always alone, on a leash, he was horrible, all kind of bad habits and would try to bite my other dog or roomate anytime, he would be quiet and when someone went close boom, tried to bite quietly, in seconds, then i started by getting close, developed a bond, then started being strong and telling him NO and pulling him away when he tried to bite my other dog i started taking him t the parks on the leash, letting greet other dogs from some distance, introduced him my friends slowly and today he is the most amazing sweet and loving dog ever, its been only two months, everythig is doable, to me dogs act exactly like persons, thye have bad habits u show them they r wrong and they learn so fast but u have to be patient and make them trust u, they bite when they dont trust.. let them in a place with kids of course under constant supervision he will get bored he will start ignoring the kids and at some point he wont mind them anymore
[notify]
Autumn *adoptable*

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:37pm PST 
Ruckus has gone to a new foster home. We now have a new foster, Autumn. It wasn't Ruckus's fault, he just didn't fit well with us. But, it's all water under the bridge at this point. Thank you all for your support.
[notify]