GO!

Lost in Translation...Epic Adoption Fail

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 3:52pm PST 
We were approved and up to the Meet and Greet between Sophie and our prospective doggie boy. I told the shelter twice some suggestions that would help everything go smoothly
1 Sophie is shaky around strange men, perhaps a woman could bring him in to meet Sophie. She is also nervous around crowds of people and very young children.
2 When she is on loose leash or off leash she is every dogs best buddy. On a tight leash she barks like Cujo.
3 She is submissive to our house cats but any other cat is prey.

Simple right? That said we arrived in the reception area...followed by two big family groups trailing toddlers...then I noticed the two office cats prowling the countertops...then a male handler came in with the dog...at this point I should have just up and left.

Sophie was being pretty brave considering everything. The boy dog stretched out on the floor and she sniffed him briefly then sat next to me...then Bozo the handler had the idea they needed "Face time".
If you know anything about the sport of dogfighting face to face is exactly how you begin...idiot...

So basically they declared that they couldn't possibly place him with us because Sophie would probably eat him I suppose...feel bad for him...he's been in shelters for 6 months already and there isn't alot of calls for blind adult pit bulls...oh well I tried.frown
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:00pm PST 
hughughughug to you for trying to set things up for sucess and make a disabled dog a new member of your family.applauseapplauseapplauseapplause for your efforts.
I'm so sorry that because the shelter would not do what was requested to try to set you up for sucess,you were unable to do a good thing.frown I am sadder still for the poor dog who missed out on a good home.cry I can understand your frustration because I was refused the opportunity to adopt a boxer mix simply because Mika was an Akita.hughughughug to you and wishes on the poor dog left in the shelter that he finds a good home soon.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:03pm PST 
Opheila, so sorry it fell through. I hope the pitty has a happy ending and they don't decide to have him PTS. I however can see where the shelter is coming from. I guess they're afraid that the pitty wouldn't be able to get away or defend himself because he can't see. frown Could you perhaps talk to the supervisor or something?
[notify]

Opheila

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:22pm PST 
I could talk to the supervisor but just grrrrrr, what do you read in books or whatever about introducing a new dog? Neutral territory, maybe walking outside...there are wooded trails around this shelter. Not in an enclosed room with people and cats and kids and even a huge frickin' parrot off to the side...even the friendliest dog would be squirrely in that kind of setting.
Then they expect a $250 adoption fee after making you jump through hoops to be approved. I will only adopt from a city shelter from now on. You pay the fee, show proof of residence and it's "Which one ya want?", that's how we got Sophie and several cats and they're perfect.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:34pm PST 
The shelter that turned me down was a county humane society,so they are not always better.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:49pm PST 
Hate to say it but perhaps it's better not to say you've got a dog. I know now that Sophie is probably happy as can be as the only dog...but when you KNOW your dog and you don't need people making instant assumptions...she eats with me sleeps with me runs with me and is never out of sight when I'm home...someone can't observe a dog for 15 minutes and pass instant judgement.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 4:19am PST 
hug
What a frustrating situation that must have been Ophelia.

I remember when we went to meet Rigby...They almost wouldn't adopt to us because Cobain didn't immediately take a shine to her.
Upon meeting, Rigby was jumpy and in Coby's face. He lifted his lips and softly growled. He never made a move to nip, but they nearly said no because he didn't automatically "love" her. We were in a new stressful place and they were meeting face to face on a leash. No wonder my boy wasn't happy.

If you're set on this pitty, then I would definitely speak with the supervisor/manager/higher up. This guy chose to ignore all of your suggestions thereby causing a stressful situation for you. A more neutral meeting would likely show a huge difference.
[notify]
Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 7:24am PST 
I have often found that people working at Shelters, or Rescues are Volunteers. Sometimes those folks--although meaning well are not always intune with all the dogs under their care and especially-with YOUR dog. That is why, when you feel as you do-- about that possible adoptee/particular dog,--YOU fight for him--if you think (or pretty SURE) he will SAFELY fit into your home setting and your family. I passed up a little dog too once--and I KNOW that she would have worked out for me. They jerked me around once too often. I walked away from that dog, and adopted another one. She had been in the Shelter TOO long. Over a 100+ days! (I have excellent credentials, so it wasn't about me!) The dog I did wind up adopting--was an excellent dog too. Some time later--the other dog was adopted--after several more weeks--but it was her (the dog's) loss. I was prepared to give her the loving home, much sooner. Talk to the director--have a heart-to-heart--and try once more! The pup you wanted is the looser if you don't!cry We all love our dogs, so be persistant. I did wind up with the perfect dog --despite all the flip-flopping!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 7:37am PST 
The people at the shelter didn't even bother to meet Mika,they saw her breed on the application and said that they would not/could not place a dog in a home with another dog that would kill it,told me to keep Mika locked away from my granddaughter who is her best pal,and that I should seriously consider having her euthanized before she attacked us or someone else. When I asked where they got this information because in my experience,approx.13 years around the breed,none of that was the case,they told me that they read the breed profile!!! So their decision was based entirely on an inaccurate profile and not any experience at all with the breed. They also told me it is their policy to euthanize immediately any owner surrendered Akita or mix,and that any Akita or mix brought in by AC was held for 3 days as a stray then euthanized if not claimed by the owner. Amazingly they do allow pitbull adoptions and all of the other so-called "potentially agressive" breeds but feel that based on the profile Akitas are too unpredictable to be given the chance. I would love the opportunity to let them see my Akitas with some of their favorite people and playmates and even during a day out at Petco.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 10:22am PST 
The breed bias is ridiculous...an Akita, a pitbull...and people are divided with Sophie anyways. Some automatically fear her based on her build and pitty features...but people with "boxheads" say she looks more retriever...I can't look at her objectively because I just see my brown eyed snugglebunny.
I can identify with breed bias though...even family that ask how soon before Sophie's gonna turn on us...Just have to ignore stupid people, enlighten the ones you can and keep your sense of humor no matter how dark...I have a special needs kid and a pit bull, you KNOW I gotta keep a sense of humor...not going to win any popularity contests heeheehee
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2