GO!

Unfair

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 12:47am PST 
I do not think it's fair for people that take in dogs that aren't theirs to be judged or frowned upon when they cannot afford to spay/neuter/vaccinate & are only trying to help said dog find a home that can. When are we going to stop judging people for that?
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:11am PST 
Life is unfair! welcome

I always apply the quote that we are responsible for what we tame ... once a dog is in your care, it is your responsibility to do the right thing. That means proper nutrition, veterinary care, shelter, and exercise. If you can't do it - find someone else who can BEFORE you take the dog on as a "rescue". If you can't afford to meet a dogs basic needs - then you are not saving it from anything. Dogs can't reason and they don't care what your intentions were, whether good or bad . . . they just need proper care!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 5:18pm PST 
I agree with Nikki. I managed a shelter for years and one of our biggest issues was with "rescuer's" who took on animals and did not/could not provide basic care. When the animal got sick from no vaccines or pregnancy complications, etc., they were all over us to help them.
Had the basics been provided in the beginning, the dog would never have had to suffer thru all the issues caused by the lack of. Especially upsetting were the pregnant dogs who would have litters of 10 or more puppies, all needing care and homes, puppies which should have never been born with a true rescue as the dog would have been spayed immediately.
It is extremely upsetting to watch a dog die due to the lack of a simple vaccine or worming or basic vet care, especially where there are shelters and rescues willing and able to take on these dogs AND provide the care they need and deserve. Anyone willing to watch them die OR to not do all they can to prevent this from happening is not rescuing in my opinion!
[notify]

Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 5:33pm PST 
I think it's "unfair" that people take in animals they can't afford to vaccinate and spay - then their animal continually gets pregnant or sick. A coworker of mine (who I love dearly) has a 2 year old cat that is on its 2nd litter in one year -- and yes, the cat is currently pregnant with its own son's from the first litter's kittens. I've offered to have the female cat spayed since she can't afford it.

I think it's "unfair" that spay and vaccination costs vary depending upon vet and location. While I don't believe people should work for free, I don't think it's fair that we don't have more low cost clinics that can provide much needed assistance to those who truly need it. I'm not sure if this even happens (or is allowed to happen), but why can't final year vet students be getting experience under the direction of a vet to do more of these clinics? Isn't this how clinicals or a residency is done in human medicine?

I don't take in animals long-term in that I can't care for myself, but I do everything in my power to support the people and groups who do.

If you are trying to re-home an animal, optimize their chances for adoption by having it up to date on veterinary care. Trust me, there are lots of dogs that need homes out there. It becomes competition for the best "deal" for some -- get a dog that's already been vetted, or get a dog and have to go through and pay for all the treatments yourself? They are already going to be paying for the dog the rest of its life...

This is why they say there's no money to be made in rescue.

Edited by author Sun Sep 9, '12 5:39pm PST

[notify]
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 5:41pm PST 
While I do agree with both Nikki and Toto, I do have to say that there are exceptions to that. In my case with Bernie, the St. Bernard mix that I found in the street. I did everything to find his owners but couldn't. The shelter was overflowing and I didn't want to surrender him to animal control. So, even though I didn't have enough money to properly care for such a large dog, I kept him. I did end up getting him his proper vaccines and did have him neutered right before he went to his new home, but it was over time after I could scrape the money together to get certain things done.

I have indeed made mistakes with taking in animals when I knew I shouldn't because of finances, but being looked down on and judged for that does hurt, and that's where I agree with Angel. Sure, some folks never seem to learn and have no business taking in any more animals, but there are others who just need guidance and good, friendly advice instead of judgement.

Eta: I'm posting with Budro because Bernie's picture is on his page big grin

Edited by author Sun Sep 9, '12 5:43pm PST

[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 7:14pm PST 
Well said, Budro. I think the rescuers should be given credit for the good they do in terms of giving the dog proper shelter, food and water, and a roof over their head. If it wern't for them, those dogs probably would've ended up in worst places or even left for dead.
[notify]
Bello

Herr Bello ist- nicht ein- Mensch!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 8:00pm PST 
I know there are many people on this forum who choose not to vaccinate their dogs, and they are not continually sick. So I don't view not vaccinating as being a bad owner. If you can't afford to fix your dog, well, that's okay too, but you better control your dog so that it isn't reproducing. Controlling a dog doesn't take much money. I understand taking in a dog off the streets. Saying "well if you can't 100 percent afford a stray then you shouldn't take them in." Because its better to release them back onto the streets? Or take them to the shelter? (which in most cases around here will be put to sleep, so you more or less sentenced a dog to death)

If you purposely go and get another animal that you can't afford, then yeah, I totally agree, they are being irresponsible, but if they find the animal on the streets and take them in because others won't, then I think they are trying to be a good person.
[notify]
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 8:07pm PST 
I agree with Bu and Yoshi. Sure, if they are trying to keep them long-term and keep taking in multiple animals I do agree with the other posters....however, I also highly dislike it when people are treated like criminals for things like not getting an animal fixed before finding it a new home. I didn't get Duke fixed before he went to his new home, but that was part of the agreement. To me basic care is shelter, food, and shots (legally req, such as rabies). If they can provide that, and are only keeping the animal short-term, I see nothing wrong with it. I also dislike it when people are put down for not being able to afford any and all medical care (ie, expensive surgeries and the like, not routine stuff). Just the other day I saw on a thread where people were getting mad because someone would not pay $500 on a medical procedure...some people don't have that much at all, much less that much extra.

Simply put, I think we need to be more careful and not condemn or criticize someone for not doing something that 'we' would have down, or what 'we' think should have been done. You can never know what that person is going through, so advice needs to be given with that in mind. wink
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 1:15am PST 
Thank you to Duke, Bello, Yoshi, and Budro!

To the others...I was recently put in a situation where I could take the former owner's dog to a shelter where it's over-crowded and chances of her being PTS were extremely high or find her a home myself. I chose to do the latter. She was fed, walked, and played with daily; she was crated trained and potty trained while with me. I put her information out to several rescue groups in the area and used word of mouth to spread the word about Lily. I was able to find her a good home with a family that can afford to get her vaccinated and spayed...which was my goal from the beginning.

As far as sitting back and watching her die, I would not have done that. I barely had my Jack a few days before he went into the hospital with parvo and spent $5000 to try and save him. I wasn't about to let Lily go through something as traumatic as being in a shelter when she was perfectly happy and healthy staying with me until I could find her a home.
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 6:28am PST 
I think a lot of people don't realize there are programs out there to help with speutering and vaccination clinics. Recently a girl I used to work with was looking everywhere for someone to neuter her 8 mos old kitten. Every vet in the area quoted her $200 and up. Thanks to a wonderful ptogram in our area she had him done by a vet for $50. They are out there, you just have to look! Call your local SPCA, Humane Society and even Rescues in your area and find out! Search online for low cost spay/neuter and vaccination clinics.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4