GO!

Meeting the New Dawg

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 8:35pm PST 
Okay, we're going to meet our potential new boy on Friday. I'm planning ahead now and need advice. This first time we're going on our own to meet him and submit the paperwork.
Next time will be with Sophie. The question is how to handle the shelter enviroment. They don't have an area where the two can meet off leash and they require the resident dog meeting the new one before they'll approve it.
Sophie on leash barks like a nutjob. Unclip the leash and she instantly goes sniffy sniffy waggy waggy with any dog she meets. Oy, how am I gonna manage this? Not to mention other dogs barking in the distance. Wish there was some park off site we could go to instead...small town though so we have to improvise.
Any suggestions???snoopy
[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 11:43am PST 
look around the local neighborhood for evidence of a house with a dog and a fenced yard. be brave. go up and knock on the door, explain your situation and ask if you could use their yard. there are only two things they can say, yes or no. I understand this is a way out of the box answer and walking up to that door will be way out of your comfort zone but there are a lot of people who love dogs and would love to be an integral part of a dog being adopted from a shelter. good luck Pru
[notify]