GO!

Normal behavior for a rescue dog?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 1:58pm PST 
I lost my 13 year old American Eskimo dog recently. My family was very interested in adopting another dog. We were browsing petfinder and found this boy:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/sakuraa14/3B4556 03-7AED-45D8-85F3-1C5914020E31-3591-00000612A3C1133E.jpg[/IMG]

We were told he is an American Eskimo/Husky mix. We brought him home last night. He is estimated to be 6 years old. He had previously been adopted, but his owners said he was to hyper for them and brought him back. We were also told he had been found as a stray before that.He also has a fist sized fatty tumor under his right shoulder. We were told their vet didn't think it was anything to worry about. He has an appointment at my regular vet Monday.

So far he has not eaten much of anything, is this normal for the first 24 hours or so? He has been drinking alot as well.

Im wondering if he suffers from anxiety. Anytime a family member leaves a room he cries and whines.

He gets along wonderfully with my family's other dogs. I slept in my bed last night next to my poodle. He is a super sweet dog.

It's really just a new experience. My family has never adopted a dog from a humane society before. All of our other dogs we got as puppies. He is a dog older than we were looking for, but we fell in love.

I'm just wondering if any of the described above behaviors are normal?

Thanks so much!

His name is Scoobie smile
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 4:05pm PST 
Totally normal. His world is turned upside down and he isn't sure what the next minute will bring.
He'll come around in a few days and in a few more weeks you'll really start to see his true personality come through.

Congratulation on your new addition.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 5:31pm PST 
Thanks so much!

I feel so bad for him. His story breaks my heart. I'm so happy we decided to go the rescue route this time. Everyone in my family adores him. He has found his forever home.

I can only speculate about his past. But he does know sit, paw, and down smile

We are so lucky he is so sweet.

I'm afraid about the first time we have to put him in a crate though, when nobody is home.

He has been hanging out with us all weekend, and slept with me his first night home. None of my family's dogs sleep in a crate at night. Everyone sleeps in a bed. My poodle threw a fit at first having to share her bed, but this morning they were sleeping together smile

Thanks again for the info. It's just such a new experience! Not really sure what to expect day to day with him.
[notify]

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 9:57am PST 
I agree, it's probably normal. I've fostered 30+ dogs and most of them adjust very quickly, some act like they've lived here all their life from the second they step foot into my yard. lol

But one (a puggle that my grandma actually couldn't keep so I fostered her through the shelter) had it rough. Even though she had known us before, when I took her home, she was a mess of anxiety. She ate only 2 half meals (half a day's food) for the first week. I just waited til she caved and she did and was fine after that. She settled down fine but she did seem to have this "off" kind of energy, somewhat anxious, just... very odd. Hard to describe it. But that was just her character.

I'm sure your new pup will adjust well. =)
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 6:38pm PST 
Totally normal. My rescue said they see it for up to four days. For some reason, hand feeding and doling out food as a reward for doing a command seems to encourage them to eat. Even freezing food inside a Kong can make it more interesting. But if the dog is not already underweight, there's really no medical need to do any of that.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 8:56pm PST 
Totally normal. Rescue dogs can take up to 4 mos to feel like they are really home. Time and patience works best. hughughug
[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 8:26am PST 
Its been four days and the little guy still isn't eating dog food confused I caught my dad feeding him tons of treats, so I put a stop to that. After reading the above post, is it a waiting game until he is hungry enough to eat? He just snubs any dog food we give him. I have tried three different brands of dry food (the kind my family feeds our other dogs and the two types they had at the shelter), and even wet food. He snubs them all He is active though. He seems to think the house is his, and is quite clingy. He is good though about being in his crate when the family goes out. He does not bark.

On his second night home he barked/cried all night. His first night home, and every night since Sat, he has been fine. He is just a bed hog. He plops his butt in the middle of my bed and refuses to move. Between him and my miniature poodle I have no room to sleep!

I'm not sure he has ever slept in a person's bed before. All of my family dogs sleep in someone's bed, and are not crated at night. I didn't think it would be fair not to let him sleep in a bed.

Here he is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/sakuraa14/6A54B063-3BD 6-4479-B56E-8CA299C1C5B5-724-0000017F161DA819.jpg

Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture, but the link is above smile

Edited by author Tue Aug 21, '12 8:28am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 9:54am PST 
Glad he found a good home. Put a stop to the treats quickly. Dogs are very good at training humans and if he is in acceptable condition it won't hurt him to go hungry for a few days. But he will learn that if he rejects his meals a human will up the good stuff. As long as he is drinking leave him be for a bit. He will soon learn that he needs to eat what is offered.
If you are free feeding, try scheduled feeding times instead. Put his food down give him 15-20 minutes and then take it away. Nothing else til next meal time.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 12:49pm PST 
Older rescue dogs certainly can be a challenge and also very rewarding. I adopted my girl at 6 yrs old. There was issues with my other dog (fighting) but that was eventually sorted out. It's good your dog is getting along so quickly with your other fur family members. I would take care on not letting him think he is the boss though. He could be taking it all in and then decide he is the pack leader when he gets more comfortable. I agree with Sabi and put the food down for 15-20 minutes and take it away if he does not eat it.
Congratulations on adopting an older dog and it sounds like he has a perfect forever home.
[notify]
Scoobie

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 3:03pm PST 
He had a reaction today that worries me. My mom was yelling to get my attention, and I yelled a response. Only then did I notice Scoobie shaking. He was only shaking when our voices were raised. He was not being yelled at, but heard us. I wonder if he was yelled at in the past?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2