GO!

dealing with expectations.

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 5:30am PST 
I, too, would suggest a belly band for use in the house and while meeting people. In spite of your best attempts to ignore the submissive peeing, you (we all!) DO indicate our nervousness and expectations of wet feet to a submissive urinater, the pee belt helps remove that anxiety from us and therefore, from the dog.
And, it can take well over a year for submissive peeing to stop...I know many dogs who were over two years when they finally became confident enough in their new home to meet and greet without puddles.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 9:12am PST 
It's okay,it's okay...you're going to be just fine really. It's good you can express your frustrations so clearly, the first productive step in working them out. I don't know what to do about the peeing. I would ask your vet for advice. I would also suggest perhaps those doggie diapers??? At least they're protection on carpets and situations where it's hard to clean up.
A plus you have here is that fearful is easier to work with than aggressive. So you are blessed with that at least. One helpful thing is to start to note triggers. With Sophie the first fears I could put my paw on were-fireworks, thunder, dark lots and alleys, people in shadows, the noise of a car trunk or metal gate closing, helium balloons, soap bubbles.
If you can visualize a mid-sized pit bull walking along hunched over and pancaking at any unexpected sound...that's the way we were for two years. But it did get better. I didn't force her into any situations she was edgy about. We just bonded closer and closer and now she sees me as her security human and it's made her braver.
Now after four years she can walk off leash in the woods with her own perfect recall. She is confident enough to have doggie fun leaping and racing after chipmunks, she is always looking over her shoulder at me, even mid chase she'll stop and just make sure where I am. Then happily run a huge circle back to me. It takes time, patience and a sense of humor, but you can do it!!!!!
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 11:01am PST 
NIce post, Opheila! So good to read that your former 'pancake pitbull' is now happy and confident. It does take time and patience, she's lucky to have you.big grin
[notify]

Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 8:45pm PST 
I don't really know anything about it, but I've heard that dogs lacking in self confidence can benefit greatly from a thing called confidence training. I thought I'd throw it out there since he definitely sounds like he could use some confidence!
[notify]
Tucker

I would very- much like the- ball.

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 12:23am PST 
A belly band is a great idea. We have really done everything we can about the peeing, so i think a belly band will at least save my house from smelling like urine.

Hes gotten a lot better about being scared of everything. I was just really having a bad day...week..MONTH with him. Im ashamed to admit i even almost took him back to the pound...well, idk. i thought about it, but i never made any real attempt to put that plan in motion.

It can be a bit unnerving when hes constantly pacing from room to room like im going to leave him forever, but acts like a total moron when hes outside and wont stay near me. I really love taking my dogs off leash to the parks and to the lake nd we arn't able to do that.
[notify]
Tucker

I would very- much like the- ball.

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 10:03pm PST 
I have finally found Tuckers solution to his problem and that it another dog. I had my mom watch him for a while at her place with our other dog to see if Tuckers nervousness would resolve. I think it has helped a ton. Our other dog is cool and calm, and by example, has taught Tucker to be too. He dosnt pee anymore but still will run away. He and the other dog play 24/7. I decided to let him stay there because its better for everyone. My mom recently lost her oldest dog, and the younger dog was depressed from being alone. Now both dogs are happy and doing better.
[notify]
Maxie CGC,- TDI

Social Butterfly

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 12:07pm PST 
When I adopted Lily, she benefited a lot by having Maxie in the house- our trainer said she needed him to teach her how to behave in a home. In fact, Maxie has been a little ambassador to numerous fosters. Glad it is working out cheer
And Kudos to you for sticking it out way to go

Edited by author Sun Oct 21, '12 12:08pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2