GO!

Do rescued dogs know they're rescued?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:38am PST 
While they probably do not understand they were 'rescued', per se; I fully believe they realize that they are now loved and cared, whereas their situation beforehand was not as good. How they demonstrate that probably depends on what their previous situation was like. For us a rescue is sometimes as simple as taking in a dog another family simply did not want anymore (which is Duke's situation), or finding a puppy that was dumped (Twister's situation), but there was probably nothing actually abusive with the dog's situation. But the one's who have been brought out of situations that were abusive, neglectful, etc probably have a fuller understanding of what you have done/are doing for them.

There is one animal rescuer that I really like, he takes videos of many of his rescues as they actually happen. The change shown in many of the dogs, sometimes within just minutes, is so awesome. I don't know if anyone here has heard of him, but his name is Eldad Hagar, I've posted links to his fb page and youtube channel. I love watching the videos.smile

https://www.facebook.com/eldad75
http://www.youtube.co m/eldad75

Ok, I just watched this one of Ace and I gotta add it here. smile I like Ace. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_975032&f eature=iv&src_vid=stTRCZLwEqo&v=0YfSLQR8AC8

http://www.youtube.co m/watch?v=tx9kX9FOBMk&feature=fvwrel

Edited by author Mon Jul 23, '12 10:56am PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:43am PST 
Jewel was turned in matted, underweight and pregnant to the shelter so life wasn't that great before here. After a few months I felt like she put me through a testing period where she was really bad to see if I'd still love her, which of course I did and that's when I got to see the true Jewel. Lots of people talk about dogs that are so greatful to be rescued but Jewel's more like "what took you so long? Pfft."

I've started fostering recently and I've had two shelter and one owner surrender, the shelter one settle in faster and are happier with any little thing for the first while before they start getting demanding! laugh out loud The owner surrender just made me sad because nothing was enough and she'd lay in the middle of my floor and cry.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:59am PST 
So adorable! This vid of Ace is several hours after Eldad brought him home. cloud 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E3Z0CHCDTo&feature=relmfu

Okaay, I'll stop now. laugh out loud
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 6:46pm PST 
I think they know. When we picked up Jax, from that horrible place, and after she threw up in our truck, she curled up on my lap inside the towel we had and went to sleep. I think that's when she knew she was safe and home. She never had any one love her before me, well except for her Mom. smile
Kali & Koby really don't know what it's like to be rescued. They both came from very good places.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 11:00pm PST 
I got Angel from a "backyard breeder" you could say. She was in baaad condition healthwise. I think she knew as soon as she got to my house that night. She had this look in her eye like "Are you my mom?"
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 11:06am PST 
Milton came from a large animal control facility. Honestly he was not adoptable but was. He was very sick, and skinny. I did not realize this until he was brought out for me to look at. They took him outside with me and he leaned against my legs. He was the most pitiful little dog. I felt so bad for him and adopted him.

In the adoption office they had a pet bed and he curled up in it and slept through the entire process of paper work. There were no soft spaces for him to sleep in the kennels. On the way home he slept the whole way in a bed I brought for him.

He followed me around from day one and still shadows me. I felt very comfortable letting him off leash out side even in the first week. He acts very happy and people often point that out. He also goes into hysterics if he is tied out and can't see me. He is fine and comfortable if I leave him in my truck or at home. I think he remembers animal control and being taken away from there. He bonded very strongly to me.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 10:51pm PST 
I've always felt like Kodiak knows he wasn't rescued. Like when we're on the street, and we won't let him pull towards another dog or eat chicken bones, he looks at the nearest stranger and gives such a desperate, pitiful whimper that he almost has me convinced that I'm abusing him. I may not be exaggerating when I say that everyone he has ever met has been nice to him. I think he believes the world to be an eminently kind and friendly place.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2