GO!

help?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Hiroshi- &Tony

cats are- friends, not- food.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:55pm PST 
i realize this is DOGster yet its alot more active than catster and i have not gotten replies there. anyone that can help can pm me the replies since the thread is about cats. i found an orphan kitten (month old aprox) 4 days ago. its severely underweight , bloody diarrhea, dehydrated, mange etc. we're giving it antibiotics and all sorts of vitamins and immune system boosters. the problem is it is very picky about food. it will not eat dry kitten food , nor baby food, both of which we tried. it only wants to eat chicken breast and lactose free milk , which is not a good diet for a sick kitten. today we bought some milk replacement for cats (very expensive here) as a last resort and it refuses that too. its the best option for it, but how do i get it to drink it? it will lap up milk and water from a dish so i know it doesnt need to be bottle fed yet refuses the formula which is what it needs the most. should i try bottle feeding anyways? we have the whole can of formula there and it is killing itself on chicken and milk. i dont want to watch it starve. how can i make the formula appealing? i've warmed it up , put it on his lips etc to no avail.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:24pm PST 
Try putting honey in the formula. Someone said honey was dangerous, I don't remember why but adding it to formula has worked on puppies, bunnies, goats, foals, calves, skunks, foxes, squirrels and I have added it to water for birds. The chicken should be fine. Sorry I really don't raise kittens very often but I hope your little one gets better.
[notify]
Hiroshi- &Tony

cats are- friends, not- food.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:47pm PST 
thank you very much i will ask the vet about it. the vet seems rather unconcerned about the whole thing but we cant afford to take him to my cats regular vet. i hope i dont have to force feed the formula ,on top of all the oral medications he's taking.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 12:19am PST 
Hi there!
I have orphaned many litters of kittens, if they did not eat we would have to force feed them KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement). The type of KMR does matter, as different companies have different potency.. We have always had great results with PetAg. You may have to use a bottle or syringe, and can try soaking kitten food in it to make it softer.

What color are it's gums?

I also highly suggest giving it a bath in Dawn dish soap if it has mange or fleas.
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 12:40am PST 
I foster kittens for a rescue group and work at a vet...Using KMR is good, you may have to try and force feed if it does not start eating soon. Check the color of the kittens gums, if they are white or very lightly colored that is a bad sign (means it is anemic). I would suggest giving it a bath with dawn dish soap to combat fleas and mites. Try using a kitten wet food that is not a pate, With picky eaters at my home we have great success with Friskies (meaty bits) and other foods that are not pates...alot of kittens when first eating solid/semi-solid food will not eat the pate (can you blame them...it looks gross). The food with chunks in it tends to have a better chance because they can choose to lick up the gravy like liquid or to eat the chunky bits. Since it likes chicken go with a chicken flavor and hope for the best. I really hope that everything turns out okay, keep us posted
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 2:21pm PST 
I mostly agree with the above posters. Give a bath if necessary.
You do not need to bottle-feed as you have mentioned it is eating. The kitten is much too young to be eating dry cat food, probably will not be able to for another month or so. I've been raising a kitten I found at 2.5 weeks old, he is around 7 weeks old right now and he will still only nibble on dry food. The canned food is the best option as they have all the added nutrients the kitten needs (you could also try adding a little kitten formula to the canned food). Stick to chicken (or other poultry such as turkey) and beef (feed it fish and it can become a very picky eater). I would also try to phase out all dairy products whether or not it is lactose free. Let him eat at his own pace but be careful not to let him overfeed.

Good luck with the little furball! If you have any other questions or whatever keep it coming we'll try to help you out.

Eta: Do NOT feed honey! Copied from a pet safety site: "Do not use honey as it can contain the temperature resistant spores of Clostridium botulinum, the bacterium that causes botulism. This could prove fatal to a kitten."

Also, here is a very informational website, it does say on here that you can bottle-feed up to 7 weeks; so if it accepts the bottle you could try that. Also, I have heard you can soak dry cat food with the kitten formula (place it in the fridge to soften, may take a while). It is important that all food be at room temperature when served.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2138&aid=912

kitty

Edited by author Thu Jun 21, '12 2:47pm PST

[notify]
Toby

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 12:39pm PST 
For young kittens I have mixed wet food and liquid KMR until it is a soupy consistency. Then I warm it up. Warming foods up a bit tends to increase their interest in eating, or at least thats how my bottle babies have always been.
If you have bottle fed, are you sure the nipple was opened up enough? I have found that a lot of times the bottle nipple has to be opened up a bit wider otherwise the kitten doesn't get enough, they get frustrated and don't want it at all.

Good luck!!
[notify]