GO!

Brought home my new dog! need name suggestions :)

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 6:58am PST 
Here's the long version on how we got her: laugh out loud

We had been looking for a dog for awhile, but everytime we found a dog we thought would fit with us, something would happen(mostly weather or transportation related)and we wouldn't be able to get that dog. I learned the hard way not to get attached to dogs I've only seen over the internet. frown

We finally went to adopt a German Shepherd we thought was still available but turned out he had already found a new home. We were a bit upset about that, but as we were driving back to the car dealership(we were in the process of buying a car that day) we passed by a store that had a lot of large cages with dogs in them, so we stopped just to look.

Turns out it was an Afghan Hound breeders place, there were huge dogs in several cages and the place was a madhouse of barking and whining. The owner comes out and notices we are Americans and immediately starts pointing to a cage with a large cream colored Afghan in it and starts saying "free, free!" At first we wonder why on earth he would give away such a beautiful (albeit horrible mannered)purebred dog, but we finally notice that he's pointing to a Collie hiding quietly behind the loud Afghan.

My dad asks why he would give her away(thinking she might have medical or temperament issues) and the owner says it's because his friend owned her but didn't want her so he gave her to him to sell. He couldn't sell her, so he was trying to give her away.

I could just see the wheels turning in my dads head: Collie=Lassie, Lassie=perfect family dog/protector, free="we'll take her!" Meanwhile I'm drooling over a beautiful blonde Afghan puppy so all I'm thinking is "puuuuppppyyy!" laugh out loud no, not really, but he was adorable!

We had to wait a day because of weather but we finally brought her home today! yay! happy dance

I haven't named her yet, but I have to name her quickly because my parents keep calling her Lassie even though I said I'm NOT naming her that! confused laugh out loud So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

snoopy hamster dance dog walk
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 7:46am PST 
Oh is she beautiful! Maybe names like: sophie, sophia, Charm, lucy, lacey, Lassie, thinking hmm thats all i can come up with right now. My brain doesnt seem to want to work today big laugh
[notify]
Mimi - Adopted!

Looking for- Love.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 8:04am PST 
Name her Beauty!
[notify]

Twister

Love me.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 8:29am PST 
Lol, I can see them calling her Lassie no matter what you decide on, haha. I still think since she is technically 'Chinese' she needs a Chinese name. Maybe an English and Chinese name. Lassie and, hmmm, oh I know! Mei Hua!! laugh out loud

Eta: She has to have a really nice name, her previous name wasn't so nice. frown
Mei Hua means 'beautiful flower'.

Edited by author Wed Jun 20, '12 8:31am PST

[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:01am PST 
Fortune smile
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:50pm PST 
What about pretty names like Topaz, Majenta... Lilly, Lola...

I always liked the name Breagha (accent over the e), pronounced 'bree-ah'... It's the Scottish Gaelic word for beautiful, because that's what she is puppy
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 1:28pm PST 
Ooops typo... Breagha is actually pronounced 'Bray-ah'... For some reason I couldn't edit my earlier post shrug
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 2:38pm PST 
What a lovely girl! cloud 9

Fleur, Cyra, Tempest, Nia, Suri, Iris, Cecil, Solana smile

Edited by author Wed Jun 20, '12 2:39pm PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 2:41pm PST 
I'm no good at name suggestions but she is such a pretty girl! cloud 9