GO!

My Neighbor's Ex-Dog

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 4:58pm PST 
So, our neighbors no longer wanted (or could) keep Duke, and their son still wanted him around so he asked me to take him. I didn't really want to get a second dog (especially one I didn't pick), but I did like Duke and didn't want to hurt the kid so I agreed. So I have a second dog, but honestly I am not sure if I should keep him so I do have him listed as adoptable. But for now, Twister and I have a new family member, and boy does he have a long to-do list! Training, getting rid of fleas, neutering, shots, etc. Any thoughts on if I should have him shaved to help get rid of the fleas and all the flea dirt? Also, any ideas on what he might be would be awesome! So far, all I can think of is maybe mini-Aussie or Am. Eskimo mix. thinking

Btw, HI EVERYONE!! wave
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 5:32pm PST 
Duke is cute.
I think Duck Dog/Chow but I could be wrong. I was thinking Aussie but in a couple pics he really looks like a Toller.
Either way he has a sweet expression. Hope he works for you.
[notify]
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 5:43pm PST 
Although Duke's coloring is a bit similar, I've never seen a Toller in Lebanon, and they are rare dogs.... thinking I've thought of him as a Pomeranian/American Eskimo/mini-Aussie. But of course I'm not good at guessing mixes. laugh out loud

I wouldn't think there would be an issue shaving him, unless he's mainly a spitz type...then that would be a problem(because of the undercoat?) I'm not sure. I'd say ask the groomer and see what they think. shrug Right now I'd say anything to get rid of the fleas! shock
[notify]

Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 6:01pm PST 
Thanks Sabi, I think he is adorable! ^^ His eyes are his best feature imo. They seem to turn brown, green, or blue at times. smile
He is pretty small too, so I'm not sure about Chow (though there are those around). His legs are fairly short and I *think* he is around 25ish lbs.

Eta: awww, I miss my Boo-Boo! Love ya, buddy! cloud 9

Edited by author Mon May 28, '12 6:02pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 8:30pm PST 
I'm with Sabi. I see Toller, even if they are more rare. Gorgeous boy either way.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 8:38pm PST 
I was leaning toward an Aussie cross. The 4th pic from the bottom on his page screams Toller. But since they look like cute little mutts anywayshrug They are not as rare as people think, just often not recognized.
I suggested Chow because his back legs look oddly straight in a couple of his pics.
Either way I think he is adorable, if I was closer......wink
ETA Caliber Tollers in St Peters,MO

Edited by author Mon May 28, '12 8:57pm PST

[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 9:53pm PST 
You shouldn't have to shave him. You may need to do a couple of baths to get rid of all the fleas though. Regular dish soap works really well to get rid of dirt. I'd use flea shampoo first (a couple of times if you need) then dish soap, then either a really good cream rinse or, if he has dry skin (which he may after you get rid of all the fleas) an oatmeal shampoo or Touch of Mink. I love Touch of Mink as it smells REALLY good, cleans & conditions the coat & helps repeal all manner of bugs.
He's a cutie! I hope it works out for you.
[notify]
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 10:03pm PST 
That could be possible then, MO has a bad rap when it comes to back yard breeders (and the area we live in is prime dumping grounds because we live close to the animal shelter). I did post that back photo in case someone could tell what he was from that angle, though I would have no clue! I was interested in Tollers in the past, but never really studied them. Now that I am reading about them, it does resemble him quite a bit! The neighbors said he likes to swim, but one thing that sets him apart from Tollers is he apparently does not retrieve. thinking He likes playing with toys and balls, but he would not run after them, the boy said he just doesn't chase them (now, I don't know if they have tried playing fetch with him much, but it sounds with Tollers that should be a natural trait). I will try something to test that later though, if he will chase when other dogs are not around. Echo loves to chase balls, but will not do it when Twister is around because she knows he runs faster. So I am wondering if he is used to the Boxers always getting the ball so became like Echo 'eh, it's not worth it, I never get the ball first' kinda thing. His ears seem quite a bit different too, so definitely would still be a mix. Thanks for the insight! If anyone else has any ideas, keep them coming! smile

Eta: Sita, thank you. I will probably make a grooming appointment for him, I am sure they will be able to get it all out. I may still try washing him beforehand so he isn't bringing live fleas into the place. We do have Oatmeal shampoo since Twister has sensitive skin.

Edited by author Mon May 28, '12 10:07pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 11:18pm PST 
He is sooo cute Twister, congrats on getting him. I also see Toller, especially in his face, although I don't know what else he might be mixed with. thinking Good luck getting him all cleaned up.

ETA: When Jackson had a severe flea infestation as well as a filthy coat (when I first got him home - he had been on a chain for three years in the mud so he was DISGUSTING) I washed him first in regular soap, then with flea shampoo, then conditioner (I used my conditioner but dog conditioner is probably more appropriate, he did have a 'salon result' though lol). I think it might take a few washes to get all the little buggers out. I also brushed before the wash, although that didn't seem to help much, he lost loads of hair in the water too.

Edited by author Mon May 28, '12 11:24pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 7:57am PST 
Twister your new addition is a real cutie. Love those beautiful eyes.wishes on working your situation out and Thank-you so much for giving him a second chance and a better life,you are wonderful.hughughugflowers
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2