GO!

adopting out a pit bull with a bite history

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3  
Skarlet

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 1:11pm PST 
Steele, I would just like to point out that while yes, a dog should always be safe on their own property this is not a perfect world and there are reasons a dog shouldn't be left unsupervised in an invisible fence. Not only are there cases where stupid people break the law by coming on to your property, but there are also cases where other dogs come on your property. That's why dogs shouldn't be left unsupervised in invisible fences. A regular fence also protects them more, especially from other dogs. What if that hypothetical 100+ pound dog you mentioned came on the property of a dog with an invisible fence and killed or seriously injured the dog minding it's own business at home? Obviously you know it's the fault of the owner of that 100lb dog but... Would it really even matter at that point? That's why I think it's irresponsible to leave a dog out, unsupervised with that kind of fence in an area with the potential for any kind of problem.
[notify]
Bruno

Always by your- side, no matter- where!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 2:59pm PST 
At a zoo, you are told to not jump the guard rail to get closer to a fence. People do it anyway and provoke animals acting on their instincts which leads the stupid human to get attacked. Whether or not this child was 12 or 17. She provoked the dog, and the dog acted like a dog. The child should have been taught a little better and been supervised by her parent. Don't come near my property, provoke my dog, and then get your panties in a bunch when you get bit. Yeah, maybe the owner should have been a little more watchful, but regardless, it wasn't the dogs fault for acting like a dog. It's silly to sue someone for your own stupidity.
Much like in a a recent story, a person was texting while driving, got into an accident and is now suing the other driving for "not being more watchful" and suing the person who texted them for sending a text message. You can easily split the blame on everyone here, but had this person not picked up their phone, they wouldn't have gotten into an accident. The same can be said for this dog story, had this girl went about her business instead of provoking an animal, she wouldn't have gotten bit. As someone who has done 911 for way too long, I have zero sympathy for stupidity.
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 5:03pm PST 
@Happy and Bruno- Right on! I completely agree.

@Skarlet- Yeaaa, I can see what you're saying. I mean, I certainly wouldn't ever leave my dog outside with an electric fence for the reasons you stated. However, if someone else wants to and their dog is well trained to the fence, well... I guess other animals and idiotic people are a risk you'd have to take but like I said, we take risks every day and imho, all fault would still be on the harasser. It's a shame we've got to alter our lives/change things we'd rather do another way due to the mass of idiots in the world.

I leave a couple of my dogs outside when I leave (which is not often) and I have a chain link fenced yard. Could they chew through it if they wanted to? Yup. Could they learn to jump it? Yup. Could another dog come along and break into my fence and attack my dogs? Yup. (There was one dog who actually did break into my fence before, thankfully friendly tho). Could some cruel person come and poison my dogs or harass them 'til they're bitten or what have you? Yup.

So many things can happen but I also feel it would be much worse if I were to leave my dogs crated inside all day long (especially when I start working a job). Not saying people who do are cruel or anything, but I'd just rather my dogs have the room and fresh air that they enjoy. And if risks come with it, well, risks come with everything and I feel those risks to be low. But again, if any of these things would happen, it would still be the fault of the person/owner of the other dog.

I guess I just have a really bad spot for people like this teen. My dog, Steele, was harassed all the time by a boy in the neighborhood. This was always while I was walking him or rollerblading with him (see? the risk is still there even when a dog is supervised).

Once, he purposely scared Steele so badly that I nearly fell right on top of Steele while rollerblading and we both could have seriously been hurt (thankfully there was grass I could jump in so I got my balance). Dangerous stuff, this kid was pulling. I let his mother know and she finally put a stop to it but it was already too late for Steele. Steele hate's this kid's guts. All it takes is seeing this boy (and only this boy) and he goes bat-crazy. Obviously, Steele is always leashed or fenced (supervised) so there's next to no chance he'd ever hurt the boy. But... yea, I have NO tolerance for idiots. Sorry. lol

Edited by author Sat Jun 9, '12 5:04pm PST

[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 6:47pm PST 
@ Steele, I too would like to live in a perfect world where my dogs could happily romp outside all day but I don't.

I live in a world with all manner of disturbed humans. My dogs are not ever outside unsupervised. Worst case I am inside watching out the window.

And no one has mentioned the fat that a well mannered dog would have walked away.
Bad kid for teasing dog, without a doubt.
Really bad kids mom for backing her brat in this.
Horribly irresponsible owner for putting poor pooch in this situation.
BUT bad dog for not walking away.

The only real surprise here.....AC did their job properly.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 7:25am PST 
I think it's possible that the dog got stimmed by the electric fence during the incident and transferred that to the girl. I don't think the dog was necessarily a bad dog because I don't know enough facts about exactly what happened when. Also, I don't know the severity of the bite...Even a super stable dog would have a hard time just calmly backing away if they were being heavily provoked and shocked/stimmed at the same time.

Especially if the girl had teased the dog before, that anxiety level would already be high.

I think it's well worth mentioning that bite rates have climbed recently. I just read an article about it last Friday (I'm looking for a suitable link, i read the hard copy version). Insurance companies are currently compiling the pertinent stats. I've seen an increase in local lawyers advertising that they represent for dog bites (these are the ambulance chaser types). I think it's a fairly easy case for them to make and have a good chance for payouts. I know there are people in my area who subsist on making lawsuit claims. The type of person who will provoke a dog, or encourage their kids to provoke a dog in order to sue do exist. They don't have to sustain a horrible injury to make money. I've even heard passers by say "That dog bites me, I'll sue you!" (I was with a friend who was handling a very large dog who was walking calmly and in complete control...)
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3