GO!

finding help for a shelter in Russia

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Ms. Josie

I said "excuse- you"

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 2:56pm PST 
I was recently contacted by a high school classmate from St. Petersburg, Russia, who singlehandedly rescued more than 100 of homeless dogs a over 20 homeless cats. She lives just outside the city limits, in a summer resort town, and as it turns out, the town's summer vacationers dispose of their unwanted pets by abandoning them and moving back to the city. There is no public financing of shelters, no municipal-run shelters, only what private individuals do for homeless pets. Also, one of the main methods of reducing the stray population is by hunting rifles.

Ever since I was informed of this situation, I have been trying to help this shelter with whatever I can. We have created a website (the English version is at http://lyubimayadvornyaga.jimdo.com/english/) and I have been trying to arrange for donations, volunteer help, inexpensive or free pet food, building materials, pet bedding, blankets, you name it. If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. The most surprising thing for me is that several of the American pet food manufacturers, who are actively helping shelters in the US with food and other donations, do not offer any help in Russia, even though they sell their products there.

Thanks for any help and ideas you can offer.
[notify]