GO!

anyone want a Shar Pei?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 6:14pm PST 
Breaking news... a breeder Eric David Calvin (more like hoarder confused ) in Goldendale, Washington agreed to surrender his Shar Peis to rescue groups. Last September, when a fire broke out and his dogs had to be evacuated to the county fairgrounds, there were 106 counted. Now the Oregon Humane Society has FORTY of them! Not sure where the rest went, how many are still with Calvin, and what other shelters/rescues have pitched in.

I'm not affiliated with OHS or the rescue group that convinced Calvin to surrender his dogs (Dogs of the Gorge, D.O.G.) but thought they deserved a shout-out since so many Dogsters are in the Pacific Northwest. Bruno is supposedly part Shar Pei, so they are close to my heart and really cool dogs. They're not available for adoption yet, since almost all of them have untreated skin/eye issues. frown The healthiest ones will be available to adopt starting May 10th.

linky to press release about the rescue

Also, do any Dogsters know the backstory on this guy? The piece in Goldendale Sentinel (here but you'll have to scroll a bit) about the fire in September mentioned that he'd had trouble with the law re: his number of dogs in other cities and other states, so I wonder if he has a reputation...
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 11:04am PST 
followup video of the dogs at OHS

The poor dogs... you can really see up close in this one the massive skin infections and goopy eyes and hair loss on some of them. Shar Pei are so NOT a low-maintenance breed... It would be bad enough if these were other breeds of dogs who'd been kept this way, they'd still be matted, dirty, smelly, etc, but because they're Shar Pei... it's much much worse.

I'm impressed by how calm and social many of them appear to be, though. I think these guys will make great pets once they're cleaned up and vetted. They're not like the hoard of American Eskimos rescued a couple years ago from the same area (different breeder though.) Those were so shut down and fearful they couldn't even be handled without sedation. So I think there's hope for these ones.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 5:15pm PST 
Bruno- I am at my limit with an Akita of each sex but wanted to take the time to thank-you for the shout out for those poor pups. So THANK-YOU!!!applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplausehughughughughughughughughug
Hoping and will be praying they all find wonderful new homes!!kissingflowers
[notify]