GO!

Previous owners want dog back - what would you do?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 3:13pm PST 
Lucille... the ad mentioned by the OP isn't even from the US.

But to answer the question at hand... No, I wouldn't give the dog back.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 9:24am PST 
I posted a similar question a while back about people who obtain "stray" dogs and if their initial owners ever found you.

The ad posted here seems a little off to me.
Either as though a significant other sold the dog while owner was at work/away and s/he just found out, or a child looking to get the dog that his/her parents sold back.

I'm not entirely sure why it comes off to me in that way, but something just doesn't seem 100% about it.

That being said, there's a reason why I ensure there is a contract or even a third party involved when I take on an adult dog. Between the attachment to the dog that I form, and the emotional distress of the other party, I think it would be quite a difficult decision to make.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 1:12pm PST 
Nope. Would not give the dog back.

I see it on my local craigslist, not too often but often enough. Given or "re-homed for a fee", they could have changed their mind last-minute and told the person who came to get the dog that the deal was off. Once the cash (if involved) and dog are exchanged, that's it.
I'm not being judgmental at all. I don't know these people's situations, so that would be totally unfair for me to do. It's just how I see it.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 11:38pm PST 
just saw a story on the local news that reminded me of this...

family in Salem has a black lab. Said lab gets out, is picked up by dog control. Has no collar, no microchip, so in the holding kennel he goes. Owners know he's there, but day one, they don't have the money to bail him out. Day two, they have to go to a doctors app. (wifey is pregnant- I guess doctors apps take all day long?) Day three, they go to the WRONG SHELTER and somehow don't have time or brains to go to the RIGHT one. Ta-daa, the 72-hour holding period is up, so the shelter adopts out the dog.

Now they're on the evening news complaining and asking that whoever adopted their dog give him back. I would say, NO WAY IN HELL! You let your dog roam, you didn't license him, and you couldn't come up with (not that large) fee to get him out, and you let him sit there for THREE DAYS in a loud, smelly, impound kennel? Yeah, I'm sure whoever has him will be swayed by your impassioned plea...
[notify]
Skarlet

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 1:26am PST 
No, I would not give the dog back. Especially in a situation like that. No animal of any kind should ever be given away or sold without both the buyer and seller having a copy of a very clear contract that includes contact information of both buyer and seller.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 11:27am PST 
hmmmmmm well if it's in the first week i guess i will give their dog back,if i see a total devasted familyshrug
but after that period...NO WAY!
a pet is not a toy and you don't play with it..
if you give the dog away,you are not worthy of it's love....
a dog is forever.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3