GO!

Adopting from a foreign country?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 5:20pm PST 
Well i know there are organizations where you can adopt from Afghanistan, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. Would anyone every adopt from these organizations or think of trying to adopt from a foreign country? Just wondered.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 5:26pm PST 
I would never adopt any dog sight unseen. That's too close to a scam for me. If they had dogs in foster care in the US where I could visit first, maybe. I would not want to import a dog, personally, but if they had already done all the hard part I might consider it. smile But I wouldn't spend tons of money to do it- if I want an expensive pup, I'll buy a purebred from a good breeder.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 5:47pm PST 
I am strongly against Americans adopting from other countries when our own shelters are overflowing as it is. We need to correct the problem at home before we move onto other country's problems.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 6:51pm PST 
I agree with Tanuk..substitute Canada for the United States laugh out loud
That being said, my old housemate did adopt a "Mexi-mutt" but the dog was already in Canada & she got the chance to meet him first.
I also think that now that I have reliable Dogster contacts, I would consider adopting an American dog...sight unseen...if I could not find my choice here, & they would vouch for the dog.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 6:54pm PST 
I am pretty much with Tanuk on this one... There are MILLIONS of dogs euthanized every year in the US. I don't see the need for importing more dogs... The only time I could see it making sense would be if you have already bonded with the dog because you have met it and cared for it for an extended amount of time. This would be like in the case of the soldiers and the stray dogs they are caring for.

I am also with Bruno in that I wouldn't agree to adopt a dog without meeting it first. After fostering, now I'm not sure I'd even want to adopt a dog without fostering it for a few weeks!
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 7:22pm PST 
I don't mind where someone wants to adopt from. People want whatever dogs they want and it's still a life they're saving. The same counter argument is used for locale-specific adoptions like from California to elsewhere, from the American South to the North, etc. In California we have too many toy dogs in shelters, tons of Poodles, 'poo mixes, Chihuahuas. But they can easily be adopted outside of California. I don't see foreign adoptions as necessarily different.

Some of the adoptions from Afghanistan I believe are are to support the adoption of retired ex-military dogs.

There are also international adoptions from Taiwan. If I did my research and felt like I could trust a specific rescue, sure, I would adopt from a foreign country.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 9:24pm PST 
I agree with Lilith on this one. Especially the Taiwan adoptions...but, I'm liittle biased when it comes to them since that is where I grew up. laugh out loud Still, I would prefer to meet the animal before adopting though, so I probably would not adopt from a foreign country unless I was able to travel to said country and see the animals for myself. Fyi, I like this animal rescue in Taiwan: http://www.animalstaiwan.org/ . They have a FB page too. way to go Also, if you found a dog you really want, and are unable to see it first for yourself, you could also consider getting in contact with someone already in the country who could check it out for you. Since I am planning on moving back to Asia, my next dog will probably be one from either Japan or Taiwan. So I am definitely not against adopting from a foreign country. smile
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 5:50am PST 
Yeah i was just wondering what everyones thoughts on this was. I dont know if I would personally adopt from another country when i know that there are tons of dogs here that need homes. I do know that my next dog for sure will be a rescue! I dont know if I could adopt a dog without seeing what it would be like first. But im not against adopting from a foreign country as long as its a reputable rescue.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:40am PST 
Puerto Rico is not a foreign country; it's an American commonwealth.

If you are in an area where the shelters tend, ahem, not to be full, there are shelters and rescue groups that pull dogs from Puerto Rico just like from the southern states. My neighbors adopted a lovely five-month-old pup from PR at one of our local shelters here just a few months ago. Google "sato dogs" and you'll find more information.

Adopting from a foreign country--why? If you're willing to go to that much trouble, there are plenty of American dogs, in the south, in the midwest, in California, and in Puerto Rico, where you can deal with established shelters and rescues you can check out and know you're dealing with reputable people. When you "adopt" from a foreign country, there's a much greater risk that you're dealing with a scam: either no dog, or a puppy mill product. There are certainly exceptions, and there can be reasons in specific cases to adopt from a foreign country (both British and American troops have organized rescues of dogs from Afghanistan and Iraq, for instance), but as a general rule? No, I wouldn't do it.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 9:48am PST 
I'm not sure if I would adopt from a foreign organization, but I would import a dog. In fact, I tried and failed. I wanted him because it looked like he was going to starve to death (I had never in my life, not even on TV, seen dogs so skinny as I did in Nicaragua. They look like walking skeletons.) and because he was incredibly sweet. After I fed him, he followed me around like a shadow, and when someone would beat him off, he'd go back to my cabin and wait for me. At night, he cried to be let in and then curled up silently under the bed. The affection/attention from a dog who has spent his whole life almost starving to death is unparalleled. I thought I had found a vet that could fulfill the export requirements, and found a way to get him off the muck-covered mountain he was living on, but couldn't fly him home because it was too cold. So, I left him up there. I think of him often, and I always feel sad and guilty. I understand that there are a lot of dogs here who need homes, but- when you see one so desperately, obviously, completely helpless, something else takes over. There are a few rescue organizations, but there are strays on every corner in every city and town. Coming to a wealthier country is really their only hope.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2