GO!

The Joy of Rescue!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Cookie Pela

Leaping Is My- Specialty!

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 11:30am PST 
When I see my little Cookie running happily in the fields, now all strong and brave...I know I'll always be a rescue Mama.

I love ALL my dogs...but there is something special about seeing a dog grow out of its fears and learn to enjoy life.
[notify]
Darcy

All I need is- Love......

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 12:09pm PST 
We understand completely! flowers
[notify]
Meesha

Furminate me,- baby!!

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:47pm PST 
I love it!

My Meesha was given to me with large scaly dandruff, hair so thin on her back you could see her skin, huuuge balls of earwas clogging up her ears and hanging into the fur under her ears etc. I asked hte owners what she was eating so i could gradually get her off of it, or buy some (before I'd read about a healthy dog diet) and they said "Oh she likes cat food." silenced

I have had her on a grain free diet for a while now and her hair is growing back in so smooth, her ear gunk is completely gone.

she was also somewhat fearful of our feet, and raised voices I'm thinking they weren't very nice to her. She's outgrowing that and so happy with us! hamster dance
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 8:24pm PST 
Isn't it beautiful? Not all rescue dogs come with the fears, but almost all of them are anxious at first or unsure. Some only take a few days (or hours) to come around, others take longer. I LOVE seeing them blossom! My favorite part about fostering! I think that's part of why I took on a heartworm positive dog! I get to nurse them back to health!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 10:19am PST 
way to go Savy! It's coming up two years since I adopted Jewel and I'm still seeing improvements in her. It's just been in the past couple of months that she's figured out how to lick the spoon I mix her food with. I used to offer it to her and she'd just walk away. shrug Now she runs to come lick the spoon!

Edited by author Thu Apr 26, '12 10:20am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 11:40am PST 
I think it's great to give a dog (or any creature, really) a second chance at life. Like Sarah, I love helping a dog recover physically from illness, too. They all heal and learn at their own pace, and to me that's one of the best parts...watching as a dog comes in to its own, learns how to control itself and enjoy the life and the world around them.

After my last foster was adopted out a family member said to me (with some distaste I might add) "Oh, I could never do that. I get too attached." Understandably, that happens sometimes. But I couldn't help feeling a bit insulted, as if I somehow don't get attached because I know they're going to move on. I'm preparing them to, that's the whole point. I do get attached, I think about every animal I've helped and hope they're doing well...I responded by asking "Don't you want your son to some day lead a good life on his own?" To me it's a lot like that: you're preparing them the best you can for the next step on their journey, but that doesn't mean that you never got attached. Rescue can be bittersweet at times, too, but it's so worth it.
[notify]
Karmen- (TDFKA- KatyPerry)

Arrrooooo, I'll- sing for you!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 3:50pm PST 
You said it, Lucille! Of course I've gotten attached to my foster dogs--some enough that I failed at fostering them, BOL! But I've never cried when I've left a foster with their new family because I know that the dog is with the perfect people in the perfect home.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 8:06pm PST 
That contented sigh... at night as they fall asleep.......priceless.........

Flicka will always be work in progress.....but he has been able to leave the deep fears and hurts behind.

I feel humbled he has allowed me to help him on this journey.
[notify]
Cookie Pela

Leaping Is My- Specialty!

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 10:00am PST 
Since I took her on and she has become one of us, I write to her group every once in a while and they have told me that I was picked specially for her, because they had several potential adopters who just weren't a good fit.

I was, and I'm so glad! Every day she shines a little more.
[notify]