GO!

Opinions on Naming Shelter Dogs after current trends?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 4:53pm PST 
Recent article posted on Petfinder has sparked somewhat of a debate amongst some rescue workers:

Hunger Games Pets

Personally, I feel that if it helps get a dog/cat a home, then why not?
Yes, it could spark somewhat of the Christmas Puppy effect, but it's not exactly like they are encouraging going out to purchase a puppy/kitten, they're advertising homeless pets.
And for the most part, those that go to shelters/rescues tend to have a bit more compassion when it comes to pets.

Thoughts?

Edit: Fix link

Edited by author Fri Mar 23, '12 4:54pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 5:17pm PST 
I don't have a problem with it. Most of the rescues and shelters are going to weed out most of the impulse adopters anyhow. The names just get a little bit more attention. I don't think it's any different than a cute picture or funny bio. Here at the rescue we've done all kinds of "theme" names for our litters. We even had a litter born near the 4th of July. Mom was Liberty (Libby) and then all the pups were first ladies or presidents.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 5:41pm PST 
Ehh, I don't have a problem with theme names but I'm not in love with them either. I've seen Chistmas names, Halloween names, other holiday names, food names, music names, I've seen other movie/book names (like Twilight). I don't think anyone is going to go adopt a dog or cat just because it's named after their favorite character, they had to be looking already to come across these animals.

A lot of people change shelter pets' names anyway. I just got stuck with Bruno's name because I didn't have another one picked out quick enough, and I couldn't help calling him Bruno after a few days of doing it.

So I don't think it's something to get your panties in a bunch over...
[notify]

Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 7:48am PST 
Agreed, I don't see much of the harm in naming them after recent trends. The fact that the game is about survival gives it a little more personality and help how they write the bio. I think they will get more hits and hopefully have a better chance. I would assume a responsible adopter would want to meet them in person and therefore would hopefully (again assuming) that they would go based on personality.

I'm curious how many of you adopted and kept the original prior name?
My breeder puppy was named Sonya (not quite sure why they name them...) and I already re-named her before we got her home.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 4:22pm PST 
I kept Bianca's name because I just couldn't come up with anything I liked.
I also kept my dog Pooch's name, although when I rescued him he didn't actually answer to it... In his case he was a stray and I got the info from his vet (he was wearing a rabies tag) of him name and other details, but he had only been to that vet once and did not seem to know the name "Pooch" and I was never able to reach his supposed owners so who knows. I started calling him that name when I still thought I might be able to find the owners, and then he was supposed to be a foster after that so I figured I might as well keep calling him Pooch since he was starting to learn the name. Of course, ultimately he ended up as a "foster failure" and by them the name had stuck. If I knew I was going to keep him from the beginning I would have given him a different name.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 4:34pm PST 
I kept Sarah's name. I had had her for a month before I realized I couldn't give her away and foster failed. It never even occurred to me to change her name. Sarah is who she was/is. I changed Lizzie's name, even though she had had it for 6 years! I just couldn't call her Buttercup! I've also changed lots of foster dog names. Most of the dogs I foster get their names at a shelter, so it's not like they actually answer to their name. smile I only change it if I think they're "bad" though. Like I had one named Larry (he only had that name for 12 hours), so I changed his. I've also changed ones if I already have a dog/cat in the house with that name. I've had to changed several fosters who came to me as Max or Charlie because I have cats with those names.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 6:28pm PST 
I think any name is probably better than a numberfrown

I kept both my dog's names, just because I didn't mind the names and was too lazy to change themsmile

When the kids were young, I let them name the pets and we wound up with "theme" names. Specifically, cats named Baloo and Bahgeralaugh out loud We also had a hamster named "Puffball" and a cat named "Spot"laugh out loud
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 11:19pm PST 
i don't really see a problem with naming animals after pop culture.

PrimRose, Jake, Evelyn, Peter all sound better then call number A1245, B2332, 2343 or 1233. If you know what i mean.

I kept Jake's name when i brought him home. I added to it. Since I call him Mr. Beagle most of the time when we're working and when he's not he's jake.

If it's rescues they'll catch most impulse adopters anyhow. And anyone who's just adopting a dog based on its name ... probably shouldn't be adopting a dog.

When i first saw Jake he was a call number. He didn't have a name till i got to the shelter and saw it on his holding kennel.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 11:39pm PST 
Bunny, I have a cat named Spot too! laugh out loud
Only he hardly ever gets called by his name, because he's a big and chubby boy (he's twice the size of his smallest littermate) so we usually call him Big Boy, Big Kitty, Chubby, or Chub-chub.
He got the name because of a black dot on his nose, I bottle-fed his litter which was 7 feral rescue kittens all tabby or torbie, so I had to find little differences to tell them apart and the dot on his nose was one of his identifying marks. When I called to book them appointments for spay/neuter they asked for names and I hadn't named them yet so I had to make them up on the phone right then. So he became Spot. I never planned to keep him, I was going to foster and find them homes... Well, 3 of them found homes. I mean besides mine. smile

I also have a bit of a theme going with some of my pets, because when I rescued another feral kitten, he kept sitting on a Stephen King book so I named him after a Stephen King character, Church. He was also supposed to be a foster but no one wanted to adopt him so he stayed with me... Then with the feral litter I was raising I named three of them after King characters also: Rosalie, Blaze and Mr Grey.
[notify]
Rolo

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 6:44am PST 
I think it's a cute trend actually. And better than the all-too-popular names. Mom decided to keep my name since I knew it. But she also calls me "little red dog."
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3