GO!

Opinions on what breed my rescue off the side of the road is

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 5:26am PST 
So I found Eve on the side of the road on, yes Christmas Eve. The vet I took her to said she was around 8 weeks old and just guess her to be a Husky. She is now right about 5 months old, 22 lbs, about 15" tall. She's the most wonderful, intelligent dog I have ever owned. She knows how to sit, stay,shake, give 5, give two fives (both paws at once), lay, and crawl. What are your opinions as to what breed she may be? The ears are throwing me but I know she isn't finished growing. She was about 17 lbs at 4 months old so just guessing she may be around 35 lbs or so full grown. So.. Any opionins?
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 6:44am PST 
It's hard to tell from the one sitting pic. I can't see the tail set or how the legs are put together...What's Eve's coat like?

Adorable pup, by the way, thanks for taking her in!
[notify]
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 7:40am PST 
I just uploaded a few more photos. Maybe that will help give an idea. Her tail has a curl in it, but not extreme. Her coat is in my opinion, lab-ish but it takes forever to get it wet (in the bath) and dry. So it seems thick but it's not long.

Thank you, I love her no matter what she is.

Edited by author Thu Mar 15, '12 7:43am PST

[notify]

Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 9:06am PST 
I think she looks a lot like a Basenji mix. The ears, size,face...very much. The description of it being hard to get her wet sounds lab-like. I have the hardest time with my 2! How vocal is she? does she bark a lot? Since basenjis dont really bark and labs love it, it would be an interesting benchmark to say the least . Google some pics and see what you think. I even found a website for "Labrasenjis" so its possible! Whatever she is - she was a great discovery!
[notify]
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 9:47am PST 
Never thought of that mix but you're right. I have found several pictures of different mixes that look just like her. I found one of a german shepherd/husky and a husky/lab. They looked identical to her but I also just found one of a basenji/lab like you said that looks almost just like her. Guess I will never know. I've thought about doing DNA testing but have read the results are not very accurate. Any opinions on that?
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 11:04am PST 
Nice new pics! Details like the curled tail are essential when breed guessing, that limits it down to a small group of breeds...Gotta say I agree with basenji/lab mix of some sort. Makes sense with the ears, curled tail and tough to get wet coat. The coat coloring suggests that mix as well.

Pretty dog! Congrats big grin
[notify]
Meesha

Furminate me,- baby!!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 3:04pm PST 
oh GOODNESS, she's adorable!!!!
[notify]
In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 6:26pm PST 
What a cute face! She looks very sweet! You could just do what I do with Callie and come up with some odd ball name and call her a rare breed that is a Mexican importsmile Callie is my La Pazean Beach Dog because she came from the streets of La Paz, Mexico. lol Come up with something creative like the American Road Dingo, lol. People are easily impressed when you say she is a rare breed, lol.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 8:22pm PST 
I'm going to go against the grain and say NOT basenji- she doesn't really look like one to me. They have a much lighter build and tighter tail curl, plus they're very rare in most places.

My guess is oversize Chihuahua mix.
[notify]
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '12 4:11am PST 
Thank you for all the opinions, keep them coming. I think she looks a little like a dingo also. She's definitely my special mix. I'm going to try to come up with a clever mix of names, I get asked all the time "What kind of dog is she?" and people just laugh when I say "I don't know, I found her on the side of the road." She's super sweet and super smart. She gets compliments EVERYWHERE we go. I have been socializing her with humans and animals, she does so well with both!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5