GO!

Too difficult and time consuming to rescue or adopt

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 11:40am PST 
@Trigger, I don't know where I got it either, sorry...I should not have posted last night...just to give you an idea of my state of mind yesterday, I also thought my car was stolen while I was at Walmart, and the police were called...but it was only two aisles over. red face I'm laughing at it now.smile
I can see now what you mean.wink
[notify]
Sophia

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 1:18pm PST 
Some places are VERY picky about who they adopt out to but with good reason. There is an English Bulldog rescue by me and they are extremely picky but, having a bulldog, I know they have good reason to. Most bulldogs do not end up in rescue, but the ones that do usually have health issues and so this rescue needs to be sure that the people they are adopting out to are willing and able to care for whatever medical needs come up and won't send this dog back into a rescue. Not to mention, with the amount of applications they get, they CAN be picky.

I used to work at a shelter in central IL and we always tried to push for more guidelines for who adopted but the owners just wanted to throw dogs into any home just to get them a home because they didn't understand that just because an animal was in a home didn't automatically mean they were living a better life. For a long time they refused to even call landlords to make sure these people were allowed to have dogs and at least once a week either a cat or dog was brought back because the adopters weren't allowed to have pets.

If it's that difficult for you to adopt from a rescue, instead of going to a BYB (which, if you're really an animal lover, you probably wouldn't even consider), go to that rescue and find out why you haven't been approved and see if you can work to change that.
[notify]
Hotchner

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 6:29am PST 
I've never really found rescues to be overly picky. I'm not sure there is much of an "overly picky" when it comes to ensuring the quality, life-long care of a living being. Yes, they do ask a lot of questions to determine the living situation and owner's dog-knowledge. Yes, they often require home and vet checks. This doesn't really seem like much to me, and I have a funny feeling that if people who SELL dogs did the same kind of background-checking, there wouldn't be so many dogs in shelters today.

It is possible, of course, that I appreciate stringency seeing that since moving to Alabama, I have witnessed a stray crisis of ridiculous magnitude, as well as a pervasive owner irresponsibility; the two very much go hand in hand. I have already fostered and placed 3 cats and 4 dogs out of pocket since moving down here that were found just in my yard or on my commute. It gets old, fast, and you can bet I carefully screened any adopters so they wouldn't wind up back in that situation.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:18am PST 
Hotchner: "and I have a funny feeling that if people who SELL dogs did the same kind of background-checking, there wouldn't be so many dogs in shelters today."

I agree. We know the large numbers have something to do with puppy millers as the nearby facilities fill up with their castoffs. Also, bad backyard breeders who are only in it for the buck, so they'll let their pups go to anyone with the cash.

Thank you for helping the homeless animals that have shown up at your new home. Not only fostering them, but screening their forever homes...that's a lot of work. (I have fostered, but placing is really difficult) Kudos to you! hug
[notify]
Cupcake

Adopt- don't shop.

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 4:30pm PST 
Most people believe that the dog they are applying for is lucky to be adopted but in my area and with the rescue I foster for it is the people who are lucky to get the dog. We get between 10-50 applications for the dogs we have and if you are not chosen it doesn't always mean you weren't good enough but that you just weren't the "best" fit.We do not operate on a first come first serve basis. The rescues give so much for these dogs and they should go to the best home possible.
[notify]
In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 7:58pm PST 
I was turned down because I did not have a fence. It did not matter that I lived in the country out in the boondocks on 40 acres and the dogs had a safe kennel they are in when not with me in the house or that the dogs went to work with me daily and I trained and competed in multiple dog sports, I had to have a fence. Well ok, I left and adopted Callie who's rescue was thrilled she was going to a home where she would lead an active and fullfilling life as a sport dog and bring smiles to the elderly.
[notify]
In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 8:01pm PST 
Responsible breeders DO interview people interested in their puppies very throughly. I have had to fill out questionaires, give references and describe my goals for the puppy I was buying from them.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 1:49am PST 
I am also from northern IL and I have never had a problem adopting or fostering from local rescues or shelters although I have to admit I mostly have adopted small animals.
However I did also foster several dogs I was interested in too when I was looking to adopt. One was from an all-breed shelter/rescue, the others from a breed specific rescue, and I was approved with no problem. Those programs did a "foster to adopt" thing where either if you were interested in a dog you foster the dog first and then decide if you want to adopt them; or in the case of the breed rescue they would pick dogs that they thought would fit what you are looking for and ask if you wanted to foster them, and if you decide to adopt them you sign the adoption papers and pay the fee. If not they let you know when another dog comes in that they think would be a good match. I fostered two dogs with that group.
Most of the rescues/shelters I've dealt with, I just filled out a form, emailed with the people a few times, maybe talked to them on the phone to answer some questions and was approved to adopt. Maybe they contacted my references as well, I'm not sure. For some reason I've never had a home visit, even when the group said they do them on their website so I expected them to do one. Possibly some groups only do that if there are questionable answers on the forms or something, or if the person seems like they don't want them to do a home visit? (I would have been totally fine with one.) I don't know.

Sure, they sometimes have long questionnaires to fill out but once that was done with I had no trouble. To me the forms are no big deal because I'm weird and actually don't mind filling out questionnaires. laugh out loud
I also have adopted out foster/rescues of my own so I know that they are doing it with the best interest of the animal in mind because I always asked a lot of questions and required home visits and so on as well.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3