GO!

Too difficult and time consuming to rescue or adopt

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 3:01pm PST 
I have owned dogs since I could first walk. My dogs have all had wonderful lives. I have also adopted children. It is easier to adopt a child than it is to adopt a dog.

The Humane Society (where I used to volunteer) is so picky and judgemental that I wouldn't consider them. Local rescue groups have adoption forms that are pages long,plus home visits and background searches. I GET IT..I know they want to be sure...but call the person's vet, interview the prospective adopter, let them interact with the dog ... or at least list your criteria so we know whether we're going to pass your particular screening..

My friends have given up and gone to the regular classified (yes, backyard breeders) because the process is so awful. I feel the same way. Oddly, when I try to contact local breeders to inquire about buying a "good" dog, they don't call back.

This type of interrogation and judgement makes the world a nice place for irresponsible breeders. They don't make you jump thru hoops. They just want your money.

There are over 3000 dogs listed for adoption between mid Wisconsin and northern Illinois. These dogs sit there while someone arbitrarily decides if you are worthy. That is BS!
[notify]
Shiloh ITD

GIMME BACON!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 5:30pm PST 
Where I live, most of the rescue groups just require a house check, a vet reference, and for you to fill out their paper work. I don't think that is too much to ask. You can always go to your local shelter. I'm pretty sure you only need to fill out some paperwork and pay the adoption fee, then the dog is yours!

This is my opinion, but I think it is easier adopting then buying from a responsible breeder.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 5:45pm PST 
if you're having THAT much trouble, maybe something you're saying or writing on applications is a red flag... Just a thought?

that or you aren't looking in the right places. I had ZERO scrutiny in adopting Bruno from a county animal control shelter. I think they may have asked for photo ID, but no proof of address, no vet check, no home check, nada.
[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 7:04pm PST 
When we adopted Lenny it was just one form that was front and back, they had us give vet references and a home check. We did all that on Sunday, home check during that week, and then the next Sunday 7 days later we got to bring him home. I do agree that some rescues are too stringent with too many hoops to jump through or too many rules that prevent perfectly good people from adopting a well deserving dog. But if you find the right rescue with the right people and you approach it with the right attitude, then it can be a fun and rewarding experience.

But a local shelter is always a great place to look, many local shelters just have you sign one piece of paper and then the small adoption fee and that's it if you want a simple 1-2-3 adoption. My local shelter it's only $50 for a dog (but that doesn't include spay and neuter).

I pray that no one go to a BYB, even if the adoption process is proving to be more difficult. Supporting BYBs does nothing but further the damage being done to the dogs we love, which should be the last thing anyone would want.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 7:46pm PST 
my question is what are you doing wrong?

I had problems with some rescues when i wanted to get a dog. BUt they beamed me for things that i felt were judgmental but fair. They got upset i was only 21. They didn't like i rented. So i said fine. I left the rescues.

Got a text from a friend about a dog in the shelter. Went to look at him. STood in line for 3 hours. Paid $77 bucks and walked out the door with him.

THey didn't ask if i was employed, didn't ask if i had income, didn't care if i had a house. All i had to do was put an address down and show an ID.

Jake was mine.

Maybe you need to rephrase some of your statements or your in violation of some laws?

Since most places have a max number of animals you can have at a residence that isn't marked as a shelter or rescue.

IF that's not stopping you hit up a high kill rate shelter. That's were i got jake. They basically throw the animals at you if they have one you want. and you have cash or checks.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 8:07pm PST 
My adoption at the animal control took all of 10 minutes. Filled out paperwork, paid the fee, got the pup.

My friend adopted through the local rescue. Again, super easy. Not as easy as the animal control, but nothing like you've described.

Without a doubt there are going to be rescues with that attitude. But that doesn't make it smart at all to go the BYB route. If you're (general you) in such a rush to just get any dog that you'd rather go to a BYB, you need to really look at your priorities. Do you want the right dog....or just a dog?

It is a red flag to me, as others have questioned, as to what was written on the adoption papers as they have so quickly turned to doing something so wrong....and knowingly too. I find that rather disturbing. Someone who loves dogs would be so willing to support such a practice as BYB, maybe the rescues were right in their ultimate gut feeling about not giving a dog to such people.shrug
[notify]
MT TOP's- Secret- Agent,- C.G.C.

R.I.P. Kahaus

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 11:49pm PST 
I can see both sides of this issue.

I understand where people are coming from who are in high-kill shelter areas and are going "What the heck? Why is this such a big deal?"

But, coming from an area where the adoption rate is high enough that even county animal shelters do home checks, I can understand where the original poster is coming from, too. In my area, the rescues and shelters can afford to be picky--sometimes to the extreme--and they are very intimidating.

Having grown up in a dog show family, I can easily get a free puppy from one of my relatives. I would, however, like to provide a home for a dog with behavioral problems that other people are not willing to deal with, who is older than others might care to take on, or who is of a breed that might have more trouble finding a home. However, I'm not sure that one of the more independent, volunteer-run organizations in the area would adopt to me (or at least have me high up on the list) because I am not an established homeowner with lots of free time on my hands. (Guess I'll find out when I apply to adopt in a month or two!)

However, even as a shaking-in-my-boots potential adopter, I can understand where the rescues are coming from. Those who take in dogs from neglectful or irresponsible circumstances understandably don't want to put a dog back into a potentially unstable situation, and they have reason, from the work that they do, to seem a little gruff/jaded. They also don't have a personal relationship with me, and so they have nothing more than the paper I write on and the references I provide to determine what kind of dog-owning character I have. And if the fact that I am a 21 year-old renter makes them nervous, I think that a bit of acknowledgement of their circumstances and a bit of pluck to show that I am a responsible dog owner will ultimately cause reasonable people to give pause.

If this is a situation with an individual rescue, I would recommend talking to the rescue coordinator and respectfully acknowledging their situation in some similar fashion to what I just stated above (and what you had already acknowledged in your post), while--equally respectfully--asking for more consideration of yours. You didn't know their expectations, you don't know why you were denied (you're not psychic, for goodness sake!), and for {insert your reasons here} you are a worthwhile dog owner. This is the way to start a conversation that can change minds. Getting defensive will only widen the gaps of mistrust that already exist, IMO.

Edited by author Wed Mar 7, '12 11:52pm PST

[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 6:08am PST 
Seeing how I am in northern IL on the WI border and have adopted all of my animals from local rescues without a problem, something you are saying on the applications must be sending up a red flag. Just your thought that it is OK to go to a BYB because its too hard going through rescues/shelters gives me a gut feeling that something is going on here that you are not saying. I work with a few rescues and have done home checks and have never turned anyone down during that. Sometimes attitude is all it takes and the willingness to work with that rescue to correct something that may be potentially a problem for the animal.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 6:47am PST 
I got turned down by a rescue initially because (I believe) the person in house did not like my other dogs. She was VERY breed oriented and seemed to think that the proposed adopted pup should take precedence over the ones I already owned. When I told her that wasn't going to be the case, we are all one big happy pack...I got turned down.

It was a while before I applied to a second rescue.

In the meantime, I adopted two from local shelters and was even a little bit taken aback by how very easy it was to get a pup. In fact, the second time it was like they didn't want me to leave the building without a pup in arms.

Then, finally I applied to a second rescue (same breed) with a totally different and much more agreeable screening process. Of course, they have standards. I want them to.

Maybe you just need to consider (slightly) what you are telling them that isn't what they want to hear? No fence? No time for pups? No experience with breed or dogs in general?

Give it some thought, and then give it another try.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 7:14am PST 
"I have also adopted children. It is easier to adopt a child than it is to adopt a dog." You don't live in my state, WAY easier to adopt a dog than a human. That says worse things about the human foster care/adoption system than it says about whatever's in place for dogs...

Do you still have adopted kids? Could be that the breed or particular dog you're trying to adopt doesn't do well with kids. That's pretty common in rescue.

Are you trying for a breed specific rescue? As in, you want a certain breed but don't want to pay the full purchase breeder price? Those folks tend to be picky for very good reasons. They're caring for their heart breed, have in-depth knowledge of what kind of homes are the best match for the breed. Plus, unlike high-kill shelters, they can afford to keep the dogs as long as it takes to find the right home.

Try asking why you were turned down and see what they say. Or go to a city high kill shelter/AC, they practically throw dogs at people who come to look in my experience.

ETA: Puppies and dogs are very time consuming, start to finish. But since you've raised so many you already know that...

Edited by author Thu Mar 8, '12 7:16am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3