GO!

What are your views on adopting/dealing with shelters?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 57)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 10:50am PST 
The rules in Cornwall UK are also very off-putting.We have a big country garden with hedges rather than fences and that was not acceptable!

There is one border collie rescue site that only accept 20% of people who come to them to adopt!There website is extremly patronising and they seem to have the impression that they are the only humans in the whole world that are suitable to own dogs!

Most of us try our best to give our adopted dogs a great life but we all have other things to do;go to work,raise children look after relatives etc so we cannot be with our dogs 24/7 continually stimulating them.I don't mean that a dog should be left alone all day everyday but a sometimes its OK for them to be left alone.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 11:36am PST 
Well, border collies are very intense dogs and as such require a lot more effort than many other dog breeds that might be more suitable for the average pet owner. One of the overwhelming reasons that BCs wind up in rescue is because people like how they look and then when they get down to the real work of raising and exercising them properly, many people fall short and the dogs can quickly turn in to a behavioral mess. They thought they had enough time for a dog like a BC, but in reality, they didn't. IMHO, not too many people are experienced enough to raise very young children AND train a BC at the same time.

So the folks who run breed specific rescues for border collies are trying to prevent that from happening to the dog again. They often raise and train them at their own cost. I foster dogs myself and I can understand why they're being choosy, I wouldn't place a rescue BC in most average pet homes, either.
[notify]
Abby

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 12:28pm PST 
Both of my dogs are from kill shelters. The dogs in no-kill shelters often come from local shelters and already have their second chance. If no one adopts from the kill shelters, that's more animals that die needlessly. Both of mine were in the adolescent stage (somewhere around 6 months) and had behavior issues, which is probably what got them there in the first place. It requires work, but any dog does. My Aussie mix is now 11 and her "little sister' is 2. I will continue to adopt from shelters, although at my age, I may go for an older, more sedate dog next time...
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 2:49pm PST 
I have adopted one pet from a shelter (a cat) and that was only because I was working there at the time and got overly attached to him while he was recovering from a broken leg (someone had kicked him down the road, he was only 9 weeks at the time).

I love the idea of adopting from a shelter and rescuing a dog but I honestly doubt there are many places that would give me a dog because I don't vaccinate my pets other than rabies. I have heard from a number of people that rescue groups/shelters in my area are very difficult to deal with, like that they won't allow you to adopt a dog if you work 8 hours a day. How else are you supposed to pay for the dog's upkeep? People can get a dog walker or take it to doggy daycare so the dog isn't alone all day, but based simply on the fact that they have a full-time job, people have been turned down. And these were adult dogs they wanted, not puppies.
[notify]

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:15am PST 
I hope that when I'm ready to adopt that I don't get treated like that. I live on a larger property in the country and we don't have a fence.

But, we crate train, and the dogs are never left alone outside unsupervised. Plus, I do "stuff" with the dogs, stuff being herding and agility.

I'm hoping one day to maybe adopt a retired police dog that just wants a couch to hang out on, and who is patient with other dogs and human children. ;-)
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:28am PST 
My Animal Control makes it tough- they won't let the shelter dog interact with the resident dog, except sniffing nose to nose on leash, because they are afraid of getting sued I guess. They will let me interact with the dogs in a yard, so that tells me something, but for me to feel comfortable bringing a dog home, I feel that I need a good hour for her to interact with Kody in a variety of situations. The adoption fees are not high, so I could theoretically adopt one and then take it back or find it another home, but that is just so emotionally difficult. I pretty feel confident in handling things like leash training, potty training, and obedience training, but I really don't feel comfortable dealing with aggression. Ideally, I would like to foster to adopt, which you can't do at Animal Control.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 1:28pm PST 
I have attempted to go through a couple rescues. Far too strict, and the people had a "high and mighty" attitude that was very unpleasant to deal with. So... Probably a no for the future. Shelter... probably not as well.

I did get Conker from a shelter, but that was before I had read up on the possible problems caused by early spaying and neutering (which Conker did undergo at the shelter). I really do not agree with that practice at all, and now I refuse to support it. If that means not "adopting" a dog from a shelter or rescue, even a very nice one, so be it. I'd rather have the long-term health decisions for my dog be made by me, not someone who wants to prevent any and all litters that might result from an adopted out dog. (Now, a dog who's already had the procedure done I might consider since it's no longer a decision I can make, but that depends on many factors.)
To add to that, I minimally vaccinate. Most shelters want to know my dog's (even the other two who aren't really mine) vaccination records, which I really don't think is any of their business at all.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to bash shelters and rescues. I just don't agree with some of the stuff a lot of them do, and if I can find one that would be willing to let me have a dog without being forced to alter, I'd be all for that. I wouldn't breed a shelter dog, I don't know it's genetics or background, just to be clear on that.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 57)  
1  2  3  4  5  6