GO!

Adopting an older retired breeder

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Lucie

Miss 'Tude!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 6:40pm PST 
We adopted Lucie, who is Meggie's mommy from the breeder. I don't believe that they would have harmed her if she stopped producing though. As a matter of fact, the owners said that they had some breeders that were looking at her, but they didn't want to sell her to them because she would end up outside just making babies.

They were very happy that we came along and just wanted to give Lucie a happy home with lots of love, attention and a spay!
[notify]
Zoey

Better than I- was

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 6:13am PST 
I have friends who exclusively adopt bulldogs from either a rescue of ex breeding dogs, or from breeders, and they have done so for over 15 years. they usually have three at any given time, from age 2 to 4, I think. Sometimes 'breeders dogs' are not up to spec and are put up for adoption. My sister has a three year old bichon with an underbite (puppymill) that was placed in a rescue.
[notify]
Mollie Jo- CGC

*LICK* *LICK*- *LICK* *LICK*

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 7:00am PST 
Mollie was a breeder cast off when she had problems delivering her last litter of pups. She was spayed when she had a c-section, so that was of no concern that she would be sold to another BYB.

You really need to know that when getting a breeder cast off you are not only looking at health problems but physiological problems as well. For most of their lives these dogs have been kept in cages and that may lead to a tick such as licking or spinning. Also these dogs can be food aggressive. If any of my other dogs get to close to Mollie's bowl she will sit and watch them like a gargoyle and sometimes growl at them. Many have not be house trained or leash trained so many hours of work is involved with getting these dogs where they can be companions.

Now for the good part...Rescuing a BYB dog is ver rewarding. I have learned so much about dogs through working with Mollie (you may read her bio). The old adage "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" was busted when I really started basic training with Mollie. She is a quick learner. She also is such a calm spirit and this shows everyone she meets that older dogs make great pets...if you have the time to work with them.

I say go for it...if you come across a situation like I did where a local breeder is trying feverishly to get rid of a dog due to it costs to much to keep a spayed dog, they yes...You are helping that dog out of a bad situation and that is what rescue is all about.

-Katie and Mollie
**Remember Buckle up...It saves lives....This includes your pups too.**
[notify]

The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 8:11am PST 
I think Im fairly well prepard to deal with the behavioral issues. Zira has some though luckily they are not serious enough to warrant a behaviorist or really even a trainer. I was prepared though to go that route if it was necessary. She will growl when my other dogs get to close to her and do a little air snap, this has disapeared at home pretty much but when I took her to the dog park she did it and thus no dog park for her. She really did not enjoy it. She is very hesitant to eat which is a problem due to her kidney disease and I hand feed most of her meals. She is luckily very good with people, but a bit shy. I actually thought it would be much worse. The women I got her from was not a puppy mill, just a not very excellent breeder.
[notify]
Cassie

Cairnattitude - My Way!!

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 4:04pm PST 
I wouldn't see anything wrong with going the route you have mentioned. Our Cassie is a rescue puppy mill mommy, having had puppies in a mill through the age of 5 1/2 when Col Potter Cairn Rescue obtained her. She still has some fears almost 3 years after coming into our home, but we have been fortunate so far in that her health has been good. She will be 9 years old in October, and you never know with puppy mill dogs what their heredity is, so we are enjoying every day we have with her.
[notify]
♥- Smokey- ♥

I Want A Butt- Rub!

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 10:32am PST 
I say go for it ... ALL dogs need a home regardless of where they came from!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 9:59pm PST 
I just adopted a breeder that is only two years old. She is sweet and is great with my other dog. Any advise on housebreaking?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 9:59pm PST 
I just adopted a breeder that is only two years old. She is sweet and is great with my other dog. Any advise on housebreaking?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2