GO!

HIGH-KILL SHELTERS

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Venninne

kisses, kisses,- kisses, kisses,- kisses!!

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '07 12:39pm PST 
I have been searching the web to try to make a list of High-Kill shelters in North America.

I am getting into rescue and of course would like to save the ones with hardly a chance to survive. I have found many many organizations who say they pull from high-kill shelters, but no-one says WHICH shelters are the high-kill ones.

So heres what I would like to do:

anyone who knows that a certain shelter is a HIGH-KILL SHELTER please list it here and I am going to compilate a high kill shelter list so that rescue organizations have a reference of which shelters to pull from to prevent uneccasary euthanizations/gassing.

I am not looking for crowded no-kill shelters as they will keep their animals alive until placement wheras high-kill shelters have been known to put a dog down literally hours after it is found/surrendered.
[notify]
J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '07 1:03pm PST 
Vennine, I think this is a great idea.

I don't know of any, but I do know that FUREVER AFTER RESCUE pulls dogs from high kill shelters and brings them up to Alberta for homes. Some of their members have dogster pages. They also have a website. I think it tells the names of the shelters, or you may want to contact them for names of the shelters they pull from.
[notify]
Hailee *Rest- In Peace*

Rub Muh Belly,- Pawleeze!

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '07 1:28pm PST 
Our shelter pulls from some. We are in Dallas area, Texas:

Little Elm - very high kill!
Denton County
Dallas County

I think there is couple more that I cannot remember the names of right now, but will post them if I find out. Good idea! way to go
[notify]

Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '07 2:05pm PST 
Lake county CA which covers lakeport, clearlake, Lucerne, nice, clearlake oaks, glenhaven ,upperlake, lowerlake and kellsyville. We have a spca that is no kill but they r limited on space r local resuces r usal full to bursting. Typicaly its in the hundreds for animals being put to sleep a month and most of them r kittens and puppys
[notify]
Venninne

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '07 2:11pm PST 
Thank you everyone for aswering, this is such an important subject and compiling this list will be helpfull to many different rescue organizations, not just the one I work with.

Hailee, I have bookmarked Little Elm and Denton county so I can look through them easily, thank you. However: For the "Dallas" one I have found the following, please let me know which you are referring to or if they are all high-kill:

1) Dallas Humane Society
2) Greater Dallas Humane Society
3) SPCA of Texas- Dallas Shelter

Thanks guys!!!
[notify]
Hailee *Rest- In Peace*

Rub Muh Belly,- Pawleeze!

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '07 3:44pm PST 
Gosh, I'm not sure about the Dallas ones. Hmmm. Maybe I can find out tomorrow when I go in.

And there's another one called Forney. I'm not sure where that one is, but it is close to here.
[notify]
Venninne

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '07 8:14am PST 
Thanks JP, I have e-mailed "Furever Rescue" and I am hoping they will be able to get me a list soon, once it arrives I will post them here. dog
[notify]
Venninne

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '07 8:43am PST 
found another high-kill shelter in GA.

Spalding County Animal Shelter

There are two dogs there who are due to be PTS if anyone can help them please do . I am too far away to do anything about this.

A lab mix is due to be PTS today at 4:30, and there is a pure beagle due to be PTS on April 23, 07.

This shelter only gives 7 days from when they are found to either be reclaimed or adopted before they are destroyed. However, this shelter will hold these animals past thier destruction date if someone calls to hold them.

Quote:
"Animals listed here are on their last day or two. If you wish to adopt or reclaim any of these animals, please CALL (do not e-mail) the shelter IMMEDIATELY at (770) 467-4772 to arrange for the paperwork to be filled out (in person or by fax) PRIOR to 4:30 p.m. on the animal's listed date. Once the paperwork has been completed, the animal will be considered adopted"
[notify]
Nika (In Loving Memory)

Playing in the- Clouds

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '07 3:05pm PST 
The Cortland County SPCA in Cortland, New York (zipcode 13045) is extremely high kill. That's where mom pulled me from on the day that I was scheduled to be euthanized many years ago. Things have only gone downhill at that shelter year after year. There was a scandal a few years back where the board of directors was found to be stealing funds. Most of the bad guys are now gone, but the shelter is still run very poorly, the conditions are horrible, there are sick animals on the adoption floor, and they euthanize a ton. They have a PetFinder page, though I'm not sure how often they update it. Mom is good friends with both of the animal control officers there, and one of the primary animal caretakers. I wish that shelter could be better, but the community doesn't care enough to force them to make the changes, nor fund them properly. Mom often notifies purebred rescues when she find purebreds there. And she has taken more than a few Siberians out of there to foster and rehome herself.
[notify]
Venninne

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '07 3:18pm PST 
I just couldn't imagine, where I live most shelters have gone to no-kill and they all utilize both the shelter space and foster homes. A couple in this area are still considered high-kill but very very few.

Props to your mom and her very important work, every life saved is worth every effort (and all the tears) Keep up the great work!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5