GO!

Ks law for service dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 4:50am PST 
There are differences between Service dog and Therapy dog, the main one that therapy dogs do not have any rights of public transportation, etc., and are only allowed to visit BY invitation from the facility where the visit is planned. Each facility may or may not also have their own regulations and testing prior to the visits.
Certification for therapy work, although not legally required, does provide insurance for you and the dog should any incident occur while you are visiting with your dog. The CGC and any other testing offered by AKC only provide a beginning step toward testing for therapy visits. They do not automatically designate the dog as a Therapy dog, that is done via additional testing with an organization such as TDI, or Delta.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 7:38am PST 
Do you have a service dog, service dog in training or therapy dog?

The difference is very important legally.

If you have a fully trained service dog, you have protections under the ADA and no letter is needed. If you have a service dog in training (takes approx 2 years, fully task and public access trained) then you are not protected under the ADA, and your rights depend on state law. By reading the state law, it doesn't look like Kansas protects handlers of dogs in training, but I will read closer if that is your situation.

If your dog is a therapy dog, you have no protected public access rights, period.

Though, your posts lead me to think you are confused on the terminology (which is common of first time handlers). A service dog is a dog that mitigates your disability. A therapy dog is a pet that you take to places like nursing homes or libraries to bring joy to others. The handlers may or may not be disabled.
[notify]
General- George s.- Patton

Little- general~paws- with a smile

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 9:00am PST 
I'm right now trying to find out for sure I'm suffering from pstd so I'm been working with him on task that he needs to help me with I have both doctors on board. We were originally just going to have him be a therapy dog. But since I medical condition now we are to see if he would work for us
[notify]

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 4:23pm PST 
Then you have a service dog candidate (very EARLY stages of service dog training.). You do not have the backing of the ADA and have follow state law. Not all states grant access to handlers of dogs in training.
[notify]
BBop Wysocki

Go SCHNAUZERS- Go!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 6:56pm PST 
Carry the letter any way for your own protection. Especially if they call the police on you. I carry my service dog's letter and his vaccine records just in case I get questioned about him. It's also best that you use a vest for him,so there is NO confusion.
[notify]
General- George s.- Patton

Little- general~paws- with a smile

Barked: Sat Oct 26, '13 6:42pm PST 
Ok what stage do we backing of federal law. So, I can go into business with him?
[notify]
Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Sat Oct 26, '13 8:45pm PST 
If he is a service dog in training, it all depends upon the laws in your state about SDiT access. State laws are what determine whether or not you have access with him if he's an SDiT, not the ADA.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sun Oct 27, '13 6:43pm PST 
You are covered under the ADA once he is fully trained. You are not covered under Kansas's state law with a dog in training.

39-1109. Use of assistance dog while training

Any professional trainer, from a recognized training center, of an assistance dog, while engaged in the training of such dog, shall have the right to be accompanied by such dog in or upon any of the places listed in K.S.A. 39- 1101, and amendments thereto, without being required to pay an extra charge for such dog. Such trainer shall be liable for any damage done to the premises of facilities by such dog.

Laws 1992, ch. 205, § 12; Laws 2003, ch. 64, § 7.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2