GO!

Ks law for service dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 9:24pm PST 
I have a one year St. Bernard dog that I have been trying my self for medical nesscary condition. I have the backing from my doctor but this his first time a person as ask him to help with a service. He has all the traing up to adult one classes. He goes to visit hospice centers and assisted living nurse homes. I just want be legal when go out to business with him.
[notify]
Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 12:58am PST 
Do you have a disability for which the service dog performs tasks for you?

A therapy dog such as you describe (nursing homes and hospice duties) aren't the same as service dogs.
[notify]
May

May: A mutt with- a big heart

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 2:33am PST 
Abigail, I get the impression this dog does both - he is an SD for the OP and a TD when they two of them visit hospices. Maybe I misunderstood though...
OP, I'm not sure exactly what the questions are but if you are saying he is trained the surely the association that trained him will be able to answer your questions?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 8:03am PST 
Yes you are correct he does both. I have trained him myself for my disability and he a has good behavior dog. My question is what is legal for state of Kansas if you train him yourself? I know that you don't need a id or vest you don't need letter from my dr. But he weights 159 lbs and he makes me safe. I'm suffer from anixety and asthma attacks along with pstd. He does his task by getting me up to making sure I feel safe in crowds to helping me up.
[notify]
May

May: A mutt with- a big heart

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 1:03pm PST 
Maybe there is some kind of test he can sit with a trainer? Im not much use all the way from Italy BOL! I did find this link, it looks like you might need some kind of certification just to cover yourself for damages and to ensure access to all places, but surely an association will be willing to provide that if you demonstrate your dog's behaviour and skills?

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusksguidedog.htm

The link is primarily for guide dogs but it does address persons with disabilities further down. I believe this statute is taken direct from kansas state law...
[notify]
Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:16pm PST 
The Americans with Disabilities Act says that certification may not be required of Service animals.

If someone requires it, they are violating Federal Law.
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:40pm PST 
It sounds like the dog will be a phychiatric service dog which does require certain information from your doctor to qualify for. For the "tasks" of service dogs, it must be a task that you can no longer do for yourself like pick up items, balance, opening doors, etc.
The ADA site has a ton of great information.
Good luck!
[notify]
General- George s.- Patton

Little- general~paws- with a smile

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 6:00pm PST 
Ok can someone explain this pieace that I found in the Kansas law for service dog. 39-1111. Procedure for verification of person's right to be accompanied by assistance dog or professional therapy dog

(a) If a question arises as to whether an assistance dog qualifies under this act to accompany a person with a disability in or upon any place set forth in K.S.A. 39-1101, and amendments thereto, the person with a disability may produce for the employee or person responsible for such place an identification card or letter conforming to the requirements of this subsection. Upon production of such identification card or letter, the assistance dog shall be allowed to accompany the person with a disability in or upon such place.

(1) If the assistance dog has been trained by a training facility, school or trainer, the identification card or letter shall be provided by the training facility, school or trainer that trained the dog and shall contain the following information: (A) The legal name of the dog's user; (B) the name, address and telephone number of the facility, school or trainer who trained the dog; (C) whether the dog is designated as a guide, hearing assistance or service dog; and (D) a picture or digital photographic likeness of the dog user and the dog. If a card is used, the picture or digital photographic likeness shall be on the card. If a letter is used, the picture or digital photographic likeness shall either be printed as a part of the letter or be affixed to the letter.

(2) If the assistance dog has been trained by the person using the dog, the identification card or letter shall contain the following information: (A) The legal name of the dog's user; (B) the dog user's address; (C) a statement that the dog has been trained to mitigate the dog user's disability; and (D) a picture or digital photographic likeness of the dog user and the dog. If a card is used, the picture or digital photographic likeness shall be on the card. If a letter is used, the picture or digital photographic likeness shall either be printed as a part of the letter or be affixed to the letter.

(b) If a question arises as to whether a dog handler is qualified, or whether the dog accompanying the handler is qualified as a professional therapy dog, to enter in or upon the places set forth in K.S.A. 39-1110, and amendments thereto, an employee or person responsible for such places may request, and the qualified handler shall produce, an identification card or letter, provided by the training facility, school or trainer who trained the dog. Such card or letter shall contain the following information: (1) The legal name of the qualified dog handler; (2) the name, address and telephone number of the facility, school or trainer who trained the dog; (3) information documenting that the dog is trained to provide therapeutic supports; and (4) a picture or digital photographic likeness of the qualified handler and the dog. If a card is used, the picture or digital photographic likeness shall be on the card. If a letter is used, the picture or digital photographic likeness shall either be printed as a part of the letter or be affixed to the letter.

(c) If a question arises as to whether an individual accompanied by a dog is a professional trainer, from a recognized training center, of an assistance dog, in order to enter in or upon a place set forth in K.S.A. 39-1101, and amendments thereto, an employee or person responsible for such place may request, and the trainer shall produce, an identification card provided by the recognized training center containing the following information: (1) The legal name of the trainer; (2) the name of the training center; (3) the address and telephone number of the training center; (4) the types of functions for which dogs are trained by the center; and (5) a picture or digital photographic likeness of the trainer.

(d) An identification card or letter produced for inspection pursuant to this section shall be promptly returned to the person with a disability, the qualified handler or the professional trainer after inspection.

Laws 2003, ch. 64, ยง 9.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 7:16pm PST 
If Im reading that correctly, Kansas's law is in violation of the ADA, and the ADA trumps.

No matter what state law says, ID and certification can not be required because of the ADA.
[notify]
General- George s.- Patton

Little- general~paws- with a smile

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 8:08pm PST 
So I don't need a letter if I get stop. I'm waiting for my dog to stop growing to set in on CGC test and akc therapy program. So I would be legal if I say it a medical nesscary for me to have next to me
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2