GO!

Pennsylvania Law Clarification

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Samson

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 6:03pm PST 
I have been researching the specific laws for SD and SDIT for Pennsylvania. I have found an interesting wording and I am hoping someone here is also in PA and can clarify. The law reads in part that service dogs or service dogs in training have full access, but only when they are working with a "certified trainer." I cannot find what PA considers a certified trainer.
Samson is getting his CGC and then his public access test, but I don't know if that is what they are referring to or not.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
[notify]
Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 8:20pm PST 
A "full" service dog can't be required to have a "certified trainer" along for the ride. A SDiT, perhaps, but not one who has already completed training.
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 12:33pm PST 
Sorry, Abigail, I didn't say it quite right. They are saying the dog has to have the training of a certified trainer to be protected under the service dog laws in PA. The law protects dogs in and done with training, but only if working with, under or have already been certified by a certified trainer. Since there is no official certification or registry, I just wonder what PA considers a certified trainer.
[notify]

Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 2:36pm PST 
That is in direct conflict with the ADA, so that won't fly (where service dogs are concerned).

They can shove their "certified trainer" law up their copious backsides.
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:09pm PST 
Thank you! That sounded odd to me too. Do you have a link to the ADA federal law that I can access? Since I am the only SD team in my area, I want to have as much as possible ready to educate folks and make the process as simple for myself as possible.
[notify]
Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 10:23am PST 
Look under the first paragraph of the Inquiries and Exclusions section of this ADA page:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

and there is more common language information here (also an ADA page):
http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 1:24pm PST 
Th nk you so much!
[notify]