GO!

Greetings from Oliver!

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Oliver

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 9:01pm PST 
Hi there, I am new to this particular forum, although I have been a member of Dogster for a few years. I have a 6 year old son who has cerebral palsy & is visually impaired, & I am attempting to train 5 month old Oliver to hopefully be a service dog for him. We checked with several programs & they all said there was a several years waiting list, &/or the price was WAY out of our range, so I am attempting it on my own.
Looking for any tips, but please don't try to discourage me from trying, as my son only gets a 1/2 hr of PT a week at school, & gets to see a nurse (sometimes a dr if he is lucky) at Shriners once a year, & that is IT, thanks to the wonderful healthcare in the US . The rest is up to me! confused I believe I can do it, & we are off to a great start, I do have a friend who is a certified dog trainer, so that helps.
Right now we are just doing the puppy thing, he excels at basic obedience, does great on leash, took about 2 minutes each to teach him to sit,lay,speak, shake. He LOVES to retrieve, & is so smart! He really wants to learn, seems to be a mind reader sometimes!
dog
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 3:07pm PST 
How old is Oliver? The first year should be about obedience and socialization. What kind of things do you want Oliver to do for your son? There needs to be 3 things that the dog offers to mitigate his disabilities in order for him to qualify to be a service dog.

I am also training my own dog to be a service dog for me, he is only 6 months old right now though. We have been working really hard on "leave it, bring it, by me and watch me" These are all very important to me. I hope as he gets older and progresses he will be able to help me with more challenging tasks.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 11:06pm PST 
Diesel that is incorrect, you dog, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that your dog only one task (at the least) though it is usually not as "socially acceptable" in the service dog world to only have on task trained. It is the Assistance Dogs International (ADI) that says a dog should have 3 tasks at the least and they really have absolutely no say in the matter.

Socialization is the key. Do find a trainer/training classes for your pup. Also look through Sue Ailsby's training levels, the old version of her writing is free on her site though you have to do a little digging to find it.

Also read "control unleashed".

Your puppy will be going through many fear periods, keep this in mind, keep everything as positive as possible, shower down treats in situations that might be a little 'more' than you expected. Take it slow, start in calm, calm, calm situations. Do not start "true" public access until older and more trained with more experience, a lot of service dog users believe you dog should be able to pass AT LEAST the canine good citizen test; that's another thing. What state are you in? Some states don't allow you to bring an in training dog into public anyway, the ADA only covers fully trained teams. It doesn't matter though all that much. You can find out door venues in/near your area, sit outside cafes or starbucks. Work in petsmart/petco. Best Buy is dog friendly. I'm pretty sure Ace Hardware is too (but you should look into that one).

And get fully acquanted with all the federal and state laws with regards to service dogs.

You should understand:
Fair Housing Act
Americans with Disabilities Act
Air Carriers Access Act
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

How old is your son?
[notify]

Diesel

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 5:08am PST 
I apologize for the misinformation. I was told 3, but I guess that is incorrect.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 12:31pm PST 
It's fine, a lot of people make that mistake. I did when I first joined the board here.
[notify]
Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 9:02pm PST 
Greetings Oliver!

I'm training a SD for my son as well.smile
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 5:47pm PST 
Charlie Chaplin, thank you for your detailed response. I am owner training Samson as my mobity/balance dog and the socialization is definitely the key. He does great at home and around our neighborhood, but we are now venturing into busier areas. Slow and steady with lots of treats and cuddle time breaks seems to be the key.
[notify]
Oliver

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 9:07pm PST 
Thanks everyone! Since my son (6) has cerebral palsy & has problems balancing & falling a lot, mobility is what we are hoping for, as well as a bit of guide work for his low vision. Things such as stopping at curbs,steps, obstacles in his path, etc. Also retrieving dropped objects, which Oliver comes by naturally already. He knows : Get it & Bring it here, drop, leave it, sit,stay, shake,lay,pen(to get in his kennel) back, toy,ball,Gavin (my son's name),hungry,thirsty,treat,car,heel, stick, Go bye-bye,kitty,a few hand signals... he just soaks up knowledge.
Oliver is just 5 months, so we are just doing the puppy thing now, although he already has learned many of the basics, he is super smart & attentive. Where my son has the most difficulties is outside, so I don't anticipate that access will be much of a problem. He is doing pretty well indoors, the school for the blind comes to school weekly & works with him. I plan on having him tested w/ the CGC & PAT,when he is older. I wish I could afford a private trainer or puppy classes, but just not possible now.
Oh darn you can't see the other posts when replying --- to the person who is also training your dog for your son, what kinds of things are you training it for? I have seen the training levels, pretty cool! dog
[notify]