GO!

Feeling happy and excited

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 10:06pm PST 
I haven't posted in a while but wanted to update anyone who was interested.

After a lot of thought of which route I wanted to go in obtaining a potential service dog for my son, I have decided on the shelter dog route again even though I realize that the success rate is lower. If anyone remembered when I first posted I said I had to wash out the last dog in December 2012 because of random aggression issues.

I considered going the breeder route who has had puppies go on to be service dogs and even got on two waiting lists. But I realized that may not be best since even though my son loves all dogs a lot, a couple of his disabilities cause him to easily get extremely overwhelmed/anxious by puppies (probably for a similar reason why he gets extremely anxious with his peers). So to the shelter I went over the course of several months and chose a smaller no kill shelter so they were able to get to know all the dogs better then the larger shelter I went to last time.

Well long story short, I found a dog who seems to have great potential so I adopted her on 8/3/13. She's 11 months old, Red Merle/white with blue eyes, female, Australian Shepherd mix named Skipper. She came with that name and I decided to keep it since my son is actually somewhat able to say it which is huge for him.

We start working with a trainer on the 20th so I'm excited for that too.

I have made the decision that if she needs to be washed out (as long as it's not for aggression issues) then she'll just stay my son's Emotional Support Dog or an at home only Service Dog. Of course I hope that I don't have to wash her out though because my son struggles the most in the community.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Thanks for reading.smile
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 12:24pm PST 
Did you have a trainer evaluate her before you adopted her? Often the biggest problem with getting a rescue dog is that people go on impulse with looks rather than which dog is best suited. A good trainer can give you a good objective look at which dog has the right temperament for your family and their job.

Make sure to have her in to the vet, I strongly recommend you get her hips and elbows xrayed. Sometimes with young dogs they don't show displasia and the only way to know is to xray. If she appears to be an aussie mix then also make sure to have the vet check her eyes and ears because both can be a problem with aussies.

Beyond that congratulations, I will keep my fingers crossed that everything works out and she is a wonderful dog for your son.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 7:01pm PST 
Thanks for the advice and congrats! big grin

I didn't have the trainer evaluate her before adopting since I was trying to decided between two trainers and didn't choose her until after I already adopted Skipper. Even though that probably would have been the best choice to have her evaluated first before adopting, I felt confident in my pick this time because I had been looking at all the dogs at this smaller (less than 30 dogs at a time) no kill shelter for a few months, asked them a bunch of questions throughout that time about whatever dog I'd see (they are actually very honest with you about the dogs & if they don't feel it's a good fit they tell you), etc. I definitely didn't choose her for looks, even though she is super pretty with her Merle coloring & blue eyes but I was definitely looking for personality and potential first. I spent several hours there that day looking at the dogs and interacting with them and she was actually the last dog I looked at that day and was about to give up until another day because I wasn't finding anything that I felt had the right personality.

She seems to have nerves of steal so far and hopefully that continues. I have taken her to public places that pets are allowed since in Idaho owner-trained SDiT don't have public access rights. I took her to Sportsman Warehouse, Petsmart, and a Grocery Store (that one was only inside the doors where the carts are kept since we're not allowed fully inside). But she wasn't fazed by the carts, automatic doors, intercom announcements, etc. She listened to my commands and only tried to sniff merchandise once before I corrected her and she didn't do it again. And while in the grocery store she just laid by my side even though people were coming in and out grabbing shopping carts right by her. She seems to have a lot of potential and I thinking working with this trainer will be even better.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 8:13am PST 
I am glad you went into adoption form a shelter. I am not going in to why I think more people should do so we have heard enough of that arguement. I don't want to sound like a hippo. cause I feel I would have done so if it had not been all the road blocks I had to go through I would have gotten a rescue dog. Sadie was purchessed form a private dog owner who got her form a breeder. Don't get me wrong Sadie is a wonderful and intellegent dog she has taught me more then I have taught her.We are going through a lot of issues she and I. Though we have bonded she is displaying a lot of bad energy. Any dog can do this I just feel a lot of people give up faster then dealing with it and trying to solve it or over come it. More then half of the dogs in a shelter come form that certon situation. Everyone wants a perfect dog for them. Just as I feel in human nature I feel there are not perfects of human nor animal. I don't think there are perfects of any living creature ex- specially human. I hope you take that into consideration before you wash her out. I am sure a lot of people would have washed Sadie at any given time. Most trainers are going to say patients is the biggest vertue. GOOD LUCK! I mean that form my heart.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 10:08am PST 
Thank you.smile
[notify]
Gir

Hope springs- eternal!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 3:55pm PST 
Fingers crossed that Skipper works out to be a truly fantastic partner for your son! She sounds like she's got a good level head on her shoulders.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 7:02pm PST 
Thank you Gir. She's doing great so far. smile
[notify]
Gir

Hope springs- eternal!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 10:11pm PST 
I'm so very glad to hear that! I took a huge chance on Gir as a Service Dog candidate, and he's been my fuzzy little superhero for the past year. Sending all the good thoughts to Skipper and your son!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 9:03pm PST 
Thanks again!big grin
[notify]